Refereeing without a car (UK)

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hi all, I'm 17 and I'm about to start on the path of being a rugby referee when I take the ELRA soon. Im already in the process of joining my local society but I was just interested to know if there are any other referees out there at a grassroots level (schools etc) that don't drive? It may prove quite limiting for me and obviously it depends on where you are & quality of public transport etc but I'd be interested to know of anyone's experiances.

Thank you, and I hope that this will be the beginning of a long and prosperous refereeing era for me!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
KieranW, let me be among the first to issue a very warm welcome to the forums.

There are many refs in London without a car, and indeed even those with a car tend not to use it, as expenses are typically based on public transport costs. This doesn't help you, however, because the quality and availability of public transport outside the capital is of a very different nature. But the long and short of it is that you need to rely on it.

One option is to liaise with the clubs to pick you up from and drop you back at the local train or bus station. Many will be happy to perform that service, and this is common when overseas refs are hosted. Otherwise, assuming you can't get access to any form of effective transport such as moped, you'll need top rely on parents or friends - which is far from ideal.

In short, you will spend a long time travelling to games. Make sure that your entire journey cost can be recouped from the Society or clubs - unlike many older and more affluent refs, you can't yet afford to subsidise them. Talk it over with your Society chairman. I'm sure solutions can be found - particularly when assessors will travel to the same games. If there are other refs living nearby, it may be possible to schedule games so that they can give you a lift.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Cody posts here, ckuxman, he manages without a car ---- in London.
I am guessing it will be tough in Leicestershire though.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
we have a couple of guys in Somerset that manage without a car, however they do seem to get the sames gigs most months!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
You Society should make every efort to give you appointments that are near your home, or located on public transport routes.
Alternatively they may team you up with another refeee who is passing your game location on the way to his.

Just let them know your situation and I am sure they will make every effort to help.

It shouldn't be an obstacle. We have a referee in Warwickshire who has just been promoted to the National Panel and he doesn't drive. (although he is taking lessons).

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks for the advice. My situation is further complicated by the fact that I'm at a boarding college, so things aren't really in my favour!

I do anticipate to be visiting a select few clubs/schools for most fixtures, but to be honest, as long as I'm getting some matches I'm not too bothered about it.

Thanks again - I shall bear it all in mind!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Adam referees sans voiture in South Yorks IIRC.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I got onto Panel without regular access to a car.

All my Durham games I did by public transport (usually bus with occasional train) with a taxi connection at the end to the club if needed. For level 5 I went by train unless I was with my Durham based coach. Exchanges were done by train, with a hire car once when it just wouldn't work.

I look back fondly on the days where I didn't drive to games. I could have several beers after the game with players and coaches (a couple on the club and then smile sweetly at people who want to pick your brains about obscure laws). I learnt an awful lot that way, but sadly no longer appropriate.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Whilst i do have access to a car I regularly use the Cumbrian coastal railway to get to my games from Barrow-in-Furness.
As people have said most clubs will be happy to pick you up and drop you off within a few miles, none of mine on that route are more than 2 from a train station.
Tough on clubs inland in the county though as it is virtually impossible to get there on public transport and back without an overnight stop.
Expenses are much cheaper on the train and it is tough going to a club and asking for over £40 just to cover your petrol

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
It doesn't help you in the UK but I have refereed for years without a car in Canada (and I'm not the only one). I've used public transport, but mainly gotten around on my bike. You'd be surprised at how good it can feel to ride a bike home after a game! If I can do it in Canada, you can certainly do it in the UK where the distances are shorter!

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
If I can do it in Canada, you can certainly do it in the UK where the distances are shorter!

Except that from where I live there are about 2 buses a week.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Agustin - I don't do cycling. Tedious boring and frankly bloody dangerous. I haven't used a bike since I was about 12, which - believe me - is a little while ago.

PhilE - if you wait a week and a half then three will come at once.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Just to echo what Phil E said.

Tell your Society appointment folks, what your travel options are and we will try to arrange appointments close to train stations / bus routes can be arranged.

We have a few refs without cars and they use trains, buses and in one cases cycles (15-20 miles regularly) to his matches. Or lifts can ofetn be arranged - just ask folks to help.

Post ELRA we often recommend time with the local club / college /schools to get experience before taking on wider Society appointments anyway, so hopefully you ca get to those locations ok.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Move to Australia. We all ride kangaroos to games.

Or NZ - their preferred ride is a sheep

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Move to Australia. We all ride kangaroos to games.

Or NZ - their preferred ride is a sheep

Stop telling lies Dickie! You know that's not true............some of us prefer to ride an Emu!

And NZer only take a sheep so that they have something to kiss and cuddle as well.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
We use horse and cart down ere, what's these car thingeys?Steam Train get ey to Minehead if tis further

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
We use Whistle, watch, pencil and scorecards. Never reffed with a car. Get to the break down quicker I guess.