Referees and CRB Checks

MiniRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've just received this email from the RFU and thought it would be useful to share. Bottom line is that refs no longer have to be CRB cleared to do mini & junior games.

Please note this is for your information -

A recent Government review, carried out by Sunita Mason, into the CRB and vetting processes in place throughout England recommended that CRB checks were scaled back to common sense levels. As such, the CRB themselves have monitored and assessed many of the roles declared on applications submitted.

The CRB have been working with several sports, including the RFU, on the role of match officials/referees. As a result the CRB Policy Team have confirmed that the role of a match official or referee does not meet the eligibility criteria for enhanced CRB clearance. In order to be eligible for enhanced CRB clearance the role itself must be a Regulated Activity. The definition of Regulated Activity is as follows –

“Any activity which involves contact with children or vulnerable adults and is of a specified nature (e.g. teaching, training, care, supervision, advice, treatment or transport) frequently, intensively and/or overnight.”

To meet the threshold for “frequent” or “intensive” the individual must carry out the role at least once a week or more, or four times in a month or more.

CRB checks are not required for adults who are simply “around” children in a club environment – only for those who hold a role that meets the Regulated Activity threshold set out above.

The role carried out by a Society Referee would be to ensure that the laws of rugby are adhered to. The supervision of players and vulnerable persons would be the responsibility of the respective team coaches/managers. This would mean that even if a referee or match official meets the frequency test, he or she would not meet the eligibility test as they would not be deemed to be in a "supervisory" role for these purposes. If the individual is a Club Referee, they may also hold another role within the club e.g. coach, assistant coach etc. If this is the case they can be CRB checked so long as this role meets the Regulated Activity definition. In this scenario the eligible position must be used on the CRB application.

The RFU’s full CRB eligibility guidance can be viewed on the following link –

http://clubs.rfu.com/Clubs/portals/RUSafe/CRBEligibilityGuidance.aspx

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This is great news which I heard about last week (but it was embargoed), and that Richard G-J was waiting for the RFU legal department to word the note for him.

Advice is that Society Referees no longer require CRBs, and so that is an admin nightmare removed - hurrah.

Club Referees may have to be more careful and be advised by their Club and CWO if they require a CRB or not depending on any other roles they may fulfill at the Club.

This is a major U-turn and "blanket" CRB applications are a thing of the past and are only required for limited individuals who meet the criteria.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
most club refs will probably do most of their reffing at junior levels where society refs not available.

I suspect that where a club ref is habitually at the club on a Sunday morning, habitually reffing the same two or three youth sides, then the club's safeguarding officer will probably err on the safe side and CRB him anyway... sensibly really.

good news for societies though

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've just received this email from the RFU and thought it would be useful to share. Bottom line is that refs no longer have to be CRB cleared to do mini & junior games.

The RFU’s full CRB eligibility guidance can be viewed on the following link –

http://clubs.rfu.com/Clubs/portals/RUSafe/CRBEligibilityGuidance.aspx

I'm sure this will perhaps not be surprising to some; but has anyone told the RFU that the link is currently (and I went and cleared my cache, to be sure that I wasn't being served an out-of-date version of the page) displaying guidance that states the exact opposite?

Parent helpers involved on overnight tours caring for children other than their own and match officials’ roles do meet the definition of Regulated Activity and are eligible for an enhanced CRB disclosure.

It's displaying "Page Last Updated: 26/09/2011" at top right, in case my cache is somehow not as clear as I thought it was.

davidgh

Referees in England
Post Likes
4eyesbetter - your name is clearly spot on!! - You were right - this was an oversight and have now had it fixed

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
4eyesbetter - your name is clearly spot on!! - You were right - this was an oversight and have now had it fixed
Yeah - but with the 27/10/11 update, you still get the wrong answer if you deal with the flowchart as a Society ref who does a junior game per week. Not a good last criterion - e.g. having got to where you are by saying that the contact is "frequent", it offers "rare" contact as a reason for CRB ineligibility. And is a referee's role "incidental" or not "main"? It's the only reason he's there. The point is that he's not considered to be in a supervisory role.

Skid986

Referees in England
Post Likes
The point is that he's not considered to be in a supervisory role.
Hmm, doesn't this seem to be somewhat at odds with the view that the ref is responsible for the safety and wellbeing of the players once they're on the pitch? If those players are children I would have thought the ref is in very much a supervisory role. But ours is not to reason why...

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hmm, doesn't this seem to be somewhat at odds with the view that the ref is responsible for the safety and wellbeing of the players once they're on the pitch? If those players are children I would have thought the ref is in very much a supervisory role. But ours is not to reason why...

Skid - not at all apparently according to the RFU's carefully prepared statement (by legal department) :

"This would mean that even if a (Society) referee or match official meets the frequency test, he or she would not meet the eligibility test as they would not be deemed to be in a "supervisory" role for these purposes. If the individual is a Club Referee, they must also hold another role within the club e.g. coach, assistant coach etc. If this is the case they can be CRB checked so long as this role meets the Regulated Activity defination. In this scenario the eligible position must be used on the CRB application."

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
"In 2004 it was revealed Phillips dodged child protection checks by changing his name so he could act as a coach and referee in boys' football" - so much for CRB checks !