Referees wearing earrings

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
refs have to have a whistle, obviously, but you surely wouldn't carry a whistle with a sharp edge.
refs don't need to wear wedding bands or other jewelry that players would be required to remove. So they shouldn't

I am not very familiar with a CGM, I assume it's needed for medical reasons. At the games you ref, wouldn't a player with the same medical condition be allowed to wear it? the images I can see make them look similar to the GPS trackers they wear.

If you were, at the same time, making players take their gloves off but also wearing gloves yourself, I think you'd be getting off on the wrong foot.

Here's my CGM:
Screen Shot 2015-10-16 at 5_29_56 PM(1).jpg
Players may wear fingerless mittens, but no full gloves. I have bad circulation and like full length gloves.

We're arguing that I should referee in discomfort? Really?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
shrug
Ideally a ref shouldn't wear gloves.
But if you've specific problems that mean you need gloves on a cold day, of course go for it, the world isn't going to fall down.

At my level if a player presented with Reynauds and it was freezing cold and he said he needed to wear gloves I'd be looking to get the captains to agree that he could wear them. Let's try and make rugby accessible wherever possible.

But I can't see why you would wear jewelry or carry sharp things, just because you are the ref.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I think two reasons
Safety , items that are banned for safety reasons (eg hard or sharp metallic objects) do not suddenly become safe when the referee wears them

Referees do not tackle or join ruck and mauls etc. The risk carried by a referee wearing certain items are not the same as players doing so. Do you inspect the studs of yourself and your AR or TJs? By your standard, If not why not?

Respect for the game. rugby has a dress code , refs should respect it. So if you are going to tell players to remove leggings, you shouldn't be wearing leggings

It is not rugby's dress code. It's Rugby's Law. There is a difference.

Leggins are not allowed for a reason again not related to a referee's role. Same with gloves. Although I wear mitts which have a whistle holder and they keep my hands quite warm including the, uncovered, fingers. It make accessing the pencil etc easier not having gloves for me at least.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Referees do not tackle or join ruck and mauls etc. The risk carried by a referee wearing certain items are not the same as players doing so. Do you inspect the studs of yourself and your AR or TJs? By your standard, If not why not?

my own studs - of course I do ! don't you ? Not my ARs though, I trust them (and they aren't on the pitch)

but of course it's not so dangerous for a referee, you are right, and we wear watches and carry whistles.

but I take my wedding ring off.

DHp0888WsAABMWY.jpg

https://twitter.com/stainesrugby/status/899159668706201600

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Good job you're not. Clearly you have no understanding of the "business" of professional rugby. Its an entertainment industry that relies on TV.

Sadly this post is true.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Its all about image, we tie ourselves up in our own rope. We are so concerned about image over ability it is untrue.

No one outside of the refereeing world gives a monkeys toss how you look.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Maybe the point here is refs should be able to wear/carry what they need to complete their remit efficiently and satisfactorily. So I'll accept that maybe that means leggings and gloves if really needed (and an acknowledgement that many refs are older than the players ;-) ). I wouldn't include jewelry in that neccesity.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Its all about image, we tie ourselves up in our own rope. We are so concerned about image over ability it is untrue.

cue dicussions about white boots! LOL

didds

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Andy, I wish that were true. Image is still part of the projection but secondary to comportment.

Tee shirt, Bermudas and bare feet display a lack of respect not so much to the game but to the players. Sweats and a woolly hat on a cold day are fine by me.

Now, I haven't seen the old bloke with a pipe for many a year.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
my own studs - of course I do ! don't you ?

Nope! I clean them and check their general condition but not a stud inspection. Why would I? There is not need. The point being we are not players we are not involved in the same activities on the pitch as the players so the same requirements are not applicable.

As stated there are reasons that players are not allowed to wear specifc items. Where the same reasons do not apply to officials the restiction are hardly relevant. I belive the laws refer to players in terms of forbidden items

What is the law? Oh yes Law 4 "Players' Clothing".

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

I think it's pretty well established that we all constantly make judgements on other people based on how they look. ..

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Watching a level two game in London a few years ago I noticed a touch judge (RFU appointed) was wearing glasses. Talked to him afterwards about it. He could not wear contact lens so wore a pair of glasses designed for squash, all plastic, no sharp edges and would break into pieces if hit. RFU must have been aware as he had all the requisite gear on. If it enabled him to do his job let him wear them.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I think it's pretty well established that we all constantly make judgements on other people based on how they look. ..

In terms of a ref on the field, I'd rather he refs well rather than worry about decoration.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Nope! I clean them and check their general condition but not a stud inspection. Why would I? There is not need..

I am not sure what you think is the difference between an inspection and a check - to me they are the same thing.
As to why? - Well - I am sure you wouldn't ref with sharp, damaged studs, and no doubt that's what you are checking for when you "check their general condition".

I don't really know where are you are going with this. You aren't really arguing that it's OK for a ref to have sharp studs, are you.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In terms of a ref on the field, I'd rather he refs well rather than worry about decoration.

that's true, but if a ref turns up looking like a clown, he's making it that much harder for himself to win the players' trust.
If he turns up looking like a ref, he'll have an easier time.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
None of the things that have been discussed refer to a ref dressing like a clown. So why do you use that as an argument? A person wearing an earing /Gloves or leggins a clown? Really?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I am not sure what you think is the difference between an inspection and a check - to me they are the same thing.
As to why? - Well - I am sure you wouldn't ref with sharp, damaged studs, and no doubt that's what you are checking for when you "check their general condition".

I don't really know where are you are going with this. You aren't really arguing that it's OK for a ref to have sharp studs, are you.

Oh dear. I don't do a pre match check of my studs. I check / inspect my boots as I clean them. partly to see that they are clean and partly to check the condition. Not a specific check as in the pre match check.

Your last pragraph is just plain nonsense.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
so we both of us regularly inspect/check our boots.... :)

lprogers23

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
I remember Nigel Owens refereeing a Pro14 game in gloves, and he is certainly no clown!!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I remember Nigel Owens refereeing a Pro14 game in gloves, and he is certainly no clown!!

:) - of all the elite refs in the world, Nigel Owens is, actually, the most clownish !

Yes, we all remember his outfit that day, it made quite an impression. And he hasn't ever worn anything like it since!