Referees wearing earrings

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
shrug
Ideally a ref shouldn't wear gloves.
But if you've specific problems that mean you need gloves on a cold day, of course go for it, the world isn't going to fall down.

At my level if a player presented with Reynauds and it was freezing cold and he said he needed to wear gloves I'd be looking to get the captains to agree that he could wear them. Let's try and make rugby accessible wherever possible.

But I can't see why you would wear jewelry or carry sharp things, just because you are the ref.

Why shouldn't a referee wear gloves? Personally i don't, but that's only because I've not found a pair that keep my hands warm and dry all game and that i can write with (suggestions gratefully received) I have refereed a game where I was glad no-one scored in the last 20 minutes as there was no way I could have held my pen and written the score down my hands were that cold.

I'm the opposite view, I don't see why you should not be able to wear jewelry just because you are the ref.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the ref in the WRWC Final wore earings.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Were any of the players wearing them ?
My point wasn't that a referee shouldn't have jewellery , it was that a referee, generally speaking, shouldn't wear stuff that the players can't wear, for safety reasons

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I wear my wedding ring when reffing, but not when playing, is that wrong?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
As a ref , so do you force players to remove their rings ?
If so I think it's better to remove yours
If you let the players wear them, then clearly it's ok to wear one yourself

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

I don't see why we have to apply the same restrictions to the players to ourselves. Most restrictions on players are there for safety, as they are taking part in a full contact sport. As a referee I'm bloomin' well hoping not to have any full contact, therefore the risks aren't the same. I wear a watch (players can't), I use a whistle (players aren't allowed one), I might wear a knee brace with metal inserts (players can't use these), I then don't see the problem with s wedding ring, or other jewellry (OK, some 2 inch drop earrings might not be the best idea!).

I understand the arguments about respect to the players, but I'm not sure there is a big issue with jewellry from either s respect for players or a safety issue.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I understand the arguments about respect to the players, but I'm not sure there is a big issue with jewellry from either s respect for players or a safety issue.

until there is.

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't see why we have to apply the same restrictions to the players to ourselves. Most restrictions on players are there for safety, as they are taking part in a full contact sport. As a referee I'm bloomin' well hoping not to have any full contact, therefore the risks aren't the same. .

I agree that the risks aren't the same ,but they are still there .
Clearly as a ref you wouldn't wear sharp stuff
Generally I am just saying that if the palyers can't wear it for safety rereasonthem the ref shouldn't wear it
Of course

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
until there is.

didds

Helpful argument Didds, which you could throw into pretty much any debate on this site without actually adding anything constructive.

risk assessments and risk reduction rarely aim for zero incidents, as it is nearly impossible. You focus on areas of most risk and deal with them. In my view a ref in stud earrings is not a material risk that requires any action. Yes he could accidentally get caught in a tackle and get his earring caught, I could also step in rocking horse pooh on my way home, but I won't be avoiding pavements just in case.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Helpful argument Didds, which you could throw into pretty much any debate on this site without actually adding anything constructive.

risk assessments and risk reduction rarely aim for zero incidents, as it is nearly impossible. You focus on areas of most risk and deal with them.

That's fair enough of course. But here's an area that no matter how small the risk, that risk can be avoided in a matter of seconds by just removing them/jewelry etc. Then there can be NO risk whatsoever. So why provide that albeit minimal risk in the first place? Its unnecessary in the context of the job at hand, totally superfluous.

didds

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
in a small village in Hampshire........Harrrummmppphhh.

Not anymore Phil - I have moved with the times ! Too much declining in the Game these days - we need new players and old players back, games not cancelled, and qualified competent referees (of which I have see two briilant groups at SWG and SEG L5 squads pre-season meetings in the last two weekends). At Society levels we are now getting more qualified Refs at each grades than matches available, due to the declining number of matches season after season. In September in Hampshire we have more Referees than notified fixtures each week so far - first time for many seasons.

I even agreed to allow leggings for U18s on an artificial pitch in Hampshire this season's Colts League.

But image and credibility is important at National League, Premier L5 and regional 1st XV leagues - and current standards are high.

However at 3rd XV or Vets etc if Coco The Clown in a loud tour shirt, white boots, earrings, beanie, fingered gloves, and sunglasses is the only available referee, well good on him/her for doing the match and giving 30 players a match of rugby.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Were any of the players wearing them ?
My point wasn't that a referee shouldn't have jewellery , it was that a referee, generally speaking, shouldn't wear stuff that the players can't wear, for safety reasons

Can you provide a law reference? If not, why not?

The law on PLAYERS' (there's a clue for you) clothing is there for a reason. The referee is NOT involved in the same activities and risks as the players. As anothe poster indicates, Large drop earings are not adviseable but small studs with sutitable backs present no significant issue.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

As a referee I'm not likely to get my ring caught on clothing in a Ruck / Tackle or Maul. I am also less likely to throw a punch causing damage with said ring. I reall am surprised that you can't see the difference between the referee's involvement in a game and that of the players.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A lot of the Cornish Pirates' players wear earrings.

Pirates traditionally wear earrings to pay for their funeral costs.
And eye patches so they have one eye with night vision for jumping into ship holds, or when the floodlights go out.

(My wife is half Cornish (Sennen Cove) and told me about some pirates' traditions).

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

risk assessments and risk reduction rarely aim for zero incidents, as it is nearly impossible. You focus on areas of most risk and deal with them. In my view a ref in stud earrings is not a material risk that requires any action. Yes he could accidentally get caught in a tackle and get his earring caught, I could also step in rocking horse pooh on my way home, but I won't be avoiding pavements just in case.

Stop using common sense!

Swiss Ref

Post Likes
Simon. I always welcome and have always appreciated and enjoyed your contributions on this board. It used to be that this level of contribution was almost the norm here, but I think when you look at the reduced activity levels here now compared to a few years ago and the very tone adopted by some regular contributors, then I think you might come to the conclusion that the two aspects are related.
I hope I am wrong but I fear this site is dying on its feet.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A referee has to be distinguishable from the players for obvious reasons. However the game is about the players, not the referee, so he should avoid unnecessary extras that draw attention to him. It's just common sense, and I have yet to see a referee that went too far.