[In-goal] Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

Lancsbarts

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Afternoon everyone
I think I know the answer but was flummoxed earlier today when this happened. 2nd half restart, ball into in goal without touching anyone. Defender, instead of dotting down and making the ball dead, picks up and kicks the ball into touch in goal.

Wasn't sure of the resulting decision so stated we'd kick off again - players (U16's) and coaches happy enough.

Suspect the decision was for the defending team to state either kick again or scrum on half way as the ball has been made dead by a defender having gone into in goal directly from the restart.

Law 12.9 only refers to the defender making the ball dead without delay, usually associated with dotting the ball down though this could, thinking logically, also equate to the ball going touch in goal and therefore being made dead.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Afternoon everyone
I think I know the answer but was flummoxed earlier today when this happened. 2nd half restart, ball into in goal without touching anyone. Defender, instead of dotting down and making the ball dead, picks up and kicks the ball into touch in goal.

Wasn't sure of the resulting decision so stated we'd kick off again - players (U16's) and coaches happy enough.

Suspect the decision was for the defending team to state either kick again or scrum on half way as the ball has been made dead by a defender having gone into in goal directly from the restart.

Law 12.9 only refers to the defender making the ball dead without delay, usually associated with dotting the ball down though this could, thinking logically, also equate to the ball going touch in goal and therefore being made dead.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Andy.

I think you have correctly answered your own question ie Scrum or retake. ...however I'msure others will chime in!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can understand why that threw you!

I think if he did it without delay, it's the options (kick again / scrum back)
If he delayed, and then kicked it out, it's a 22m DO

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If he kicks it as soon as he was within reach, then options as that is "without delay".
If he stands beside/over the ball, has a look around, and then kicks it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".
If he picks it up as soon as he is within reach and immediately kicks it out, then options as that is "without delay".
If he picks it up and has a look around before kicking it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".

IMO

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Agree with retaken kick / scrum back options, assuming it was done without delay. Law doesn’t specify how a player must make it dead!

Lancsbarts

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If he kicks it as soon as he was within reach, then options as that is "without delay".
If he stands beside/over the ball, has a look around, and then kicks it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".

He literally picked it straight up and booted it as far as he could. Obviously unaware of the law and was looking to basically get as far up field as he could so by interpretation, re start or scrum back as played "without delay". One to remember for next time!!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
[QUOT delay".

He literally picked it straight up and booted it as far as he could. Obviously unaware of the law and was looking to basically get as far up field as he could so by interpretation, re start or scrum back as played "without delay". One to remember for next time!!

Hang on lancsbart... Did he kick it into touch-in-goal or did he kick it up field into touch ? I am confused.

If the latter then it's just play on

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If he picks it up and has a look around before kicking it out, then 22 DO as that is not "without delay".

IMO

Not for me. I'm Ok for a player to weigh up his options and still meet the "without delay" requirement. I'd give him a couple of seconds.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Hang on lancsbart... Did he kick it into touch-in-goal or did he kick it up field into touch ? I am confused.

If the latter then it's just play on

He made it dead, didn't he? ;)

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
No, that's a trick question - blowing the whistle makes the ball dead. But if he boots it straight into the audience in the stands, it's dead - no?

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
So what would you do if Blue kick goes in goal. Red defender picks it up and immediately (or without delay), thumps the ball (with a strong wind behind). It then rolls into the oppositions in-goal. Defender then pops it down. It was put in-goal initially in Blue. red punts its and it goes dead in the oppositions in-goal.

Personally I'd go with the 2nd DO for red. Would this be right?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
So what would you do if Blue kick goes in goal. Red defender picks it up and immediately (or without delay), thumps the ball (with a strong wind behind). It then rolls into the oppositions in-goal. Defender then pops it down. It was put in-goal initially in Blue. red punts its and it goes dead in the oppositions in-goal.

sounds like a blue drop out to me on their 22? Red has opted to play the ball and has put the ball into blue's in-goal. Blue then dot down.

??

didds

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

Am a bit brain dead today. I meant DO to Blue.

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
sounds like a blue drop out to me on their 22? Red has opted to play the ball and has put the ball into blue's in-goal. Blue then dot down.

??

didds

See, i get this but surely the act of playing the ball by the red defender means that he's made it dead. So there's a few things I can come up with on this scenario.

1. Ball was initially taken (kicked etc) into Reds in-goal. It doesn't matter by how ball goes dead. DO 22m Red

2. Ball was initially taken (kicked etc) into Reds in-goal. Red thumps he ball down field into Red's in-goal. As he Blue has acted "without delay" when red touches down the ball is dead, so we go back for the 22m DO for red. As red acted without delay.

3. Ball was initially taken (kicked etc) into Reds in-goal. Red thumps the ball down field into Red's in-goal. Red has put the ball back into play as it's back in the FoP, so it's a 22m DO to blue, as red (attacking team) has put the ball into in goal and blue then makes the ball dead.

I'd favour scenario 3 as the outcome.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
See, i get this but surely the act of playing the ball by the red defender means that he's made it dead.

but he hasnt.

He has played the ball in open play. He has put it into blue's in goal - during open play. Blue then dot down and blue makes it dead.

IF red's kick had gone over the blue dead ball line, or blue touch-in-goal that would be a BLUE scrum on the red 5m line.

Once red kicks the ball and it leaves the red in-goal its open play.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think youve got your colours mixed up. maybe start again for clarity?

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I think youve got your colours mixed up. maybe start again for clarity?

Ok here it is.

Blue kicks the ball. Rolls into Reds in-goal. Red picks it up and punts it down field. It then rolls in Blue in-goal. Blue picks up and places the ball down/taps the ball down.

My thoughts are in this as the ball has left reds in goal area. Then the Blue 22m DO is the call.