[In-goal] Restart into in goal - defender kicks it dead via touch in goal - decision?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Ok here it is.

Blue kicks the ball. Rolls into Reds in-goal. Red picks it up and punts it down field. It then rolls in Blue in-goal. Blue picks up and places the ball down/taps the ball down.

My thoughts are in this as the ball has left reds in goal area. Then the Blue 22m DO is the call.

I concur.

Ball is in open play until Blue dabs dowm, red having put the ball into Blue in goal.

red is lucky the ball didnt roll dead in blue in gosal ie over DBL/TiG. that would have been a blue 5m scrum on red 5m line.

didds

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not for me. I'm Ok for a player to weigh up his options and still meet the "without delay" requirement. I'd give him a couple of seconds.

I agree.

I have always interpreted "without delay" to allow a player to have a quick look to see if anything is on then make the ball dead.

However if, for example, he picks up the ball and tries to run infield to get a better angle to kick to touch, then sees an opponent closing in too rapidly to allow him to get the kick away and so decides that grounding the ball is a better option, then his "without delay" time has expired - so no options.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Without Delay is slower than Immediately but faster than Use It

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Personally I would like use it to be cut to immediate from interminable.
And lefts standardise on immediate rather than have that and without delay.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So .. what about the simple scenario where

Green kicks off, into Red in goal

Red 15 picks up the ball and, without delay, kicks the ball directly into touch around about his own 22m line

Line out to green, right ?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Red 15 picks up the ball and, without delay, kicks the ball directly into touch around about his own 22m line

Yes it is

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

yes and a kick in the arse from the Red captain

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

Correct, he's put it back over the field of play.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I believe Lancsbarts is referring to his original case that did actually happen as opposed to the hypotheticals that didn't.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I believe Lancsbarts is referring to his original case that did actually happen as opposed to the hypotheticals that didn't.

I am still not completely clear what happened in the orginal case, as while lancsbart said kicked into touch in goal he also said

He literally picked it straight up and booted it as far as he could. Obviously unaware of the law and was looking to basically get as far up field as he could so by interpretation, re start or scrum back as played "without delay". One to remember for next time!!

which sounds like he kicked it upfield into touch - so not a restart/scrum back at all - but play on (lineout) :shrug: