RFU Adapted game

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Following Government’s announcement last week that outdoor team sport can resume from Wednesday 2 December, we are delighted to confirm that Government has today approved our submission to return to 15-a-side contact rugby, with some adaptations.

Further detail on these adaptations and associated laws will follow tomorrow. However, they are briefly summarised below:

• There will be no scrums or mauls in the game
• Where the game would restart with a scrum, this will be replaced with a free kick
• A minimum of five and a maximum of seven players from each team are required to form a lineout”

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Following Government’s announcement last week that outdoor team sport can resume from Wednesday 2 December, we are delighted to confirm that Government has today approved our submission to return to 15-a-side contact rugby, with some adaptations.

Further detail on these adaptations and associated laws will follow tomorrow. However, they are briefly summarised below:

• There will be no scrums or mauls in the game
• Where the game would restart with a scrum, this will be replaced with a free kick
• A minimum of five and a maximum of seven players from each team are required to form a lineout”

What is the rationale?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Minimise / reduce instances of close face to face contact

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Not through official sources, but looks like 254CEE93-0D72-482A-A6F8-87C0CBEAB0D4.jpegCD377DEF-7380-44C5-8D7F-53DAB9A72E79.jpeg03CDFA5B-397D-47D0-BD45-83A003B78FC4.jpeg397BE511-20AB-4CBA-9AF4-D86CB6CC3A11.jpeg973191D1-1484-455E-B716-E09C9701ECF2.jpeg

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
its an attempt to get something closer to "real rugby" to occur. I beleive the female game has been something similar already?

the only "concern" i would have is a scrum taken by a FK is likely to be tapped, passed and "hit up" - and we are into face to face again. But I dont have any better ideas :)

didds

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
No, nor do I, I see what they’re trying to achieve (or avoid) by saying you must tap and pass, but at that point we’re in open play and you can’t really influence what happens next - It’s either offloaded and play on or we’re into the ping an up right tackle / use it scenario if the carrier goes into contact.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
You're face to face again, but don't have a minute or two of 16 heads within 4 square meters all panting heavily in between times.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i think these are important

• The restart is not designed to be taken quickly

THE TEMPO OF FREE KICKS FOR THE ABOVE INFRINGEMENTS WILL BE CONTROLLED BY MATCH OFFICIALS

so these are not your regular free kicks - they are replacement for scrums, so more managed, and no tap and run

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
another thing I notice is that for most part the FK in place of a scrum is 'at the place of infringement' rather than in the scrum-zone.

in other words where a scrum will always take place >=5m from touchlines and trylines, the corresponding FK it seems won't be.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
i think these are important

so these are not your regular free kicks - they are replacement for scrums, so more managed, and no tap and run

Agree, I'd actually intended to ask this as a question at next society meet, but been answered (assuming these become final at least)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Coaches head on here :) LOL.

So eg a 5m attacking tap (ie 5m from oppo line). Obvs cant "push over" from here so ...

* #9 taps
* passes very short to eg #1 (I think theer is an allowance also to run himself at this distance - so it could be instead eg #1 tapping?)
* #1 runs in contro, forward
* as oppo defnder engages #1 puts ball on floor between them - ruck created
# attackers all bind ionto one and rucks drives forward
* ball at read of ruck is controlled by eg #8.
* push over try thus occurs ?

Its very very beta - and the obvious issue is #1 actually gets tackled and ends up on the floor and cannot get out so the push over bit becomes impossible as the ball cant progress past his body etc.

youd priobably only get away with it once!

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
i assume we will ref that ball must be got away from breakdown / ruck without delay. (which would be a great thing in itself!)

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Just had this through from my society, main difference seems to the point about binding on to a ball carrying team mate is a PK, so that kills the pick and go;

1. Suspend Law 19 (other than the amended Law 19.1 below) in its entirety. 2. Suspend Law 16 in its entirety.

Law 16: The Maul is suspended in its entirety

Players must not bind onto a team-mate who is in possession of the ball. Sanction: Penalty kick.
When one or more players come into contact with an opposing ball carrier and do not bring that player to ground, those players may attempt to gain possession of the ball if done immediately, but thereafter must not prevent the ball carrier from playing the ball. Sanction: Penalty kick to the team in possession of the ball.
No other player may join these players in contact. Sanction: Penalty kick against arriving players.
The ball carrier must play the ball immediately. Sanction: Penalty kick to the team not in possession.

Law 18 Lineout

18.11 – Forming a Lineout. The throwing team must, when forming the lineout, have a minimum of five players and maximum of seven players. Sanction: Free-kick to the non-throwing team.
18.14 - Amend to ‘The non-throwing team must match the number of players in the lineout with the throwing team. Sanction: Free-kick to the throwing team.
The player winning the ball in the lineout must either pass the ball immediately, release it to a teammate or leave the lineout as soon as they land on the ground. Sanction: Free-kick.
NB: Law 18.3 & 4 (quick throw) have not been varied.

Law 19 Scrum

19.1 - Principle. Amend to ‘Where the game would restart play with a scrum, is replaced with a Free-kick in all circumstances.’

Law 5 Time

5.7 a: Delete ‘scrum’.
5.7 b: Amend to ‘The referee awards a Penalty or Free-kick, other than a Free-kick for which a scrum would have been awarded previously.’ (This will end the half or full-time.)
5.9 - Irrespective of the weather conditions, the referee has the discretion to allow water breaks at any stage of the match.

Law 20 Penalty and Free-Kick

20.3 - Amend to ‘A team awarded a Penalty or Free-kick may not choose a scrum.’
20.4 – Amend to ‘A team awarded a Penalty or Free-kick at a lineout may instead choose another lineout at the same mark.’
20.11 - Amend to ‘Taking a Penalty or Free-Kick. The ball must be kicked a visible distance. If the kicker is holding it, it must clearly leave the hands. If it is on the ground, it must clearly leave the mark. Other than on either of the five metre from goal lines, once the free kick has been taken legally, the kicker may not run with the ball. Sanction: Free-Kick
NB: There is no change to taking a penalty kick quickly

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
why did they sneak in this change?

5.9 - Irrespective of the weather conditions, the referee has the discretion to allow water breaks at any stage of the match.

is there some relevance to Covid ??

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
why did they sneak in this change?

is there some relevance to Covid ??

Yup, they’ve made a big deal about hydration and fighting off infection, all my age grade training sessions have been subject to a break every 15 mins for water and sanitising, and the Prem 15s / Premiership break every 20 mins

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Using your RFU Interchange setup is there a requirement for STE FRs in order to have a certain number of subs available?

Do you think clubs will choose not to select traditionally shaped FRs since there are no scrums?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Using your RFU Interchange setup is there a requirement for STE FRs in order to have a certain number of subs available?

Do you think clubs will choose not to select traditionally shaped FRs since there are no scrums?

There’s no requirement as no league / competitive fixtures, all using the Game On principles (get a game going regardless of numbers / subs / FR). I hope everyone that wants to play does, else when leagues do start there will be no FR :-(

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Yes, no leagues it's all friendlies I expect everyone who wants to will paly