RFU under 11 & 12 rules

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I'm off to a tournament in England in April. I've tried to check the "continuum" for updates, I seem to remember that England has changed things a bit. Sadly I can only find:

RFU Regulation 15: Age Grade Rugby (PDF 59kB)

Appendix 1 - A - New Under 7 and Under 8 Rules of Play (PDF 54kB)
Appendix 1 - B - New Under 9 Rules of Play (PDF 50kB)

Appendix 1 - Old Under 7 to Under 9 Rules of Play (68kB)
Appendix 1 - C - New Under 10 Rules of Play (PDF 44kB)
Appendix 1 - Old Under 10 Rules of Play (PDF 62kB)
Appendix 1 - D - Old Under 11 and 12 Rules of Play (PDF 66kB)
Appendix 2 - Under 19 Law Variations (PDF 50kB)
Appendix 3 - Girls Rugby (PDF 67kB)

So no "new" under 11 and 12" rules of play. So what are these age groups playing? Straight into u19?

Help please!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
they are still playing the 'old' rules of play Old Under 11 and 12 Rules of Play

Which - until some new ones come out - the RFU should simply refer to as the rules of play.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The point is that the IRB site refers to the "Old" and the "New" for each age group except the U11 & U12s where it only refers to the "Old". NO there is a clear inference that if you have "old" rules there will be "New" rules that replace the "Old" ones. Of course, as kindly explained by Crossref there are in fact only "Old" rules for those age groups (as per the list I posted) and for "old" one should read "Current". Just another example of poor communication by a governing body.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
When we get to the tournament, we will all be advised as to the variations by the excellent team at the host club. However, I like to read up before the event so the laws and rules are clear in my mind first.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
When we get to the tournament, we will all be advised as to the variations by the excellent team at the host club.

Somehow I sense there is a :sarc: attached to the end of that? :shrug:

Or maybe I'm just a big cynic because of my experience in my parts :biggrin:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Somehow I sense there is a :sarc: attached to the end of that? :shrug:

Or maybe I'm just a big cynic because of my experience in my parts :biggrin:

No not at all. A superbly run tournament 7 through to 12 Anglo Welsh event. Club is called Luctonians. A very good set up that some others could learn from. I've been going there for 10 years and I'm not linked to any club that attends the event. I just love being involved in it.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Maybe they could send their 'how to' manual to our parts!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
It never fails to amaze me why basic communication is so poor these days. Clubs don't let refs know games are off. Businesses and councils do not keep customers informed even though the internet should make things easier to do!

This particular club bucks the trend and is a pleasure to be (even tenuously) associated with.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The point is that the IRB site refers to the "Old" and the "New" for each age group except the U11 & U12s where it only refers to the "Old". NO there is a clear inference that if you have "old" rules there will be "New" rules that replace the "Old" ones. Of course, as kindly explained by Crossref there are in fact only "Old" rules for those age groups (as per the list I posted) and for "old" one should read "Current". Just another example of poor communication by a governing body.
But in fact, as Jenko points out, there are indeed NEW rules at both U.11 and U.12 that the RFU can't be bothered to put in its official game regulations!

The game that the new rules introduces may well be brilliant - but the process is dire! From U.6 onweards, there is no indication of how the game will restart if the ball goes into touch. At U.11, we know from Jenko's link that there are no lineouts. So do we all go home? RFU should be shot - but I doubt they could find anyone competent enough to hit the mark. Look at the grammar in the U.11 rules of play:

[LAWS]Introduction of: Kicking “MARK” call anywhere on pitch. If a defender knocks on from a kick scrum to the defending team.[/LAWS]

So what is being introduced? Kicking from anywhere on the pitch? Ability to call a Mark from anywhere on the pitch? Both?

How it the game to restart from a Mark? Unlikely to be a FK, since that doesn't seem to have been introduced.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Surely there should not be two separate references to rules one indicating the "old" rules are still in force and one indicating the new. The RFU is as much a pigs ear producer as the WRU is.

And sorry I was referring to post 2 (old rules still apply).

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But in fact, as Jenko points out, there are indeed NEW rules at both U.11 and U.12 that the RFU can't be bothered to put in its official game regulations!

so there are.
in fact reading that RFU page properly at U7-U10 there are no longer any OLD rules, as the new style of play has been rolled out nationally this season. While U11 and U12 are now in pilot, with some counties playing old rules (us) and others playing new.

U11 has always being he most difficult age, with different rules being played at state primaries (tag), independent prep schools (15 a side) and club (old/new rules). In our U11 team we had pupils from both state and independent schools and saw it all.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Which begs the question why the RFU still has this on their site!?

RFU Regulation 15: Age Grade Rugby (PDF 59kB)

Appendix 1 - A - New Under 7 and Under 8 Rules of Play (PDF 54kB)
Appendix 1 - B - New Under 9 Rules of Play (PDF 50kB)
Appendix 1 - Old Under 7 to Under 9 Rules of Play (68kB)
Appendix 1 - C - New Under 10 Rules of Play (PDF 44kB)
Appendix 1 - Old Under 10 Rules of Play (PDF 62kB)
Appendix 1 - D - Old Under 11 and 12 Rules of Play (PDF 66kB)
Appendix 2 - Under 19 Law Variations (PDF 50kB)
Appendix 3 - Girls Rugby (PDF 67kB)

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sorry for the interruption, but I was quite puzzled of the appearance of "Girls rugby appendix". As a basketball ref I've come across many age basketball regulations and differences, but never differences between boys and girls, so I decided to read it. Anyhow, I found it quite interesting... till I found this (My emphasis):

[LAWS]Passing:
The ball can only be passed sideways or backwards through the air or passed
to another player who is front of the ball carrier.
If the ball is handed to another
player in front of the ball player or passed or knocked forwards (towards the
opponents’ goal-line) then a free pass is awarded to the non-offending side,
unless advantage occurs to the non-offending side. In order to keep the game
flowing, referees should play advantage wherever possible.
[/LAWS]
Really?? No-one reads these documents?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
i suspect that people that read it realise it must be totally wrong and just ignore it.

didds

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I was referring to the people releasing the documents. I mean, yeah, it's a typo but a goddamn big one!

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
There is a good reason for having a separate girls document - there are so few of them.

Therefore they are merging age groups.

Also it is impossible for clubs to run A and B squads as boys tend to. Indeed most clubs struggle to fill a single squad, which is why there are Baa Bas sides in the league to mop up girls from clubs who could not otherwise field a side.

Even with this there are 26 U18 sides and 27 U15 sides in the RFU leagues plus a few more such as Tynedale not playing competitively due to lack of nearby clubs - who therefore only play in festivals. And many matches are being played short handed - so we are talking around 600 girls playing.

I do not know how many U13 sides there are - as these are not listed on the RFU web site - but my guess is significantly fewer than 20 - with most U13 girls who play still playing mixed rugby.

Camquin

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
There is a good reason for having a separate girls document - there are so few of them.

Therefore they are merging age groups.

Also it is impossible for clubs to run A and B squads as boys tend to. Indeed most clubs struggle to fill a single squad, which is why there are Baa Bas sides in the league to mop up girls from clubs who could not otherwise field a side.

Even with this there are 26 U18 sides and 27 U15 sides in the RFU leagues plus a few more such as Tynedale not playing competitively due to lack of nearby clubs - who therefore only play in festivals. And many matches are being played short handed - so we are talking around 600 girls playing.

I do not know how many U13 sides there are - as these are not listed on the RFU web site - but my guess is significantly fewer than 20 - with most U13 girls who play still playing mixed rugby.

Camquin

If only the profile of "Girls rugby" matched its participation level !