RIP Richie Benaud

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
As someone deeply disinterested in the alleged sport of Cricket, I can nevertheless recognise the huge loss to the world in the passing of Sir Richie. He was a tremendous broadcaster, and those older than myself identify him as one of the most gifted leg spinners ever to have graced the international stage, and in innovative (and highly successful) captain of Australia to boot.

The world is diminished.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
And as he passes through the pearly gates, Richie will be heard to murmer...

"Thank you Peter..."

didds

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Indeed. Great broadcaster.

Like Bill McLaren another voice from my youth.

Always managed to sound enthusiastic and understated at the same time and I cannot recall a time when he was ever anything but impartial and informative.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
commentators are mostly esteemed after they have stopped broadcasting, we all like to remember them fondly.

which *current* rugby commentators do we like ?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And as he passes through the pearly gates, Richie will be heard to murmer...

"Thank you Peter..."

didds

And as he glances back at the Gates themselves, he will simply say.... "Marvellous!"

Richie took over as "The Voice of Cricket" when my all time favourite cricket commentator, Alan McGilvray, retired in 1986.

R.I.P. Richie

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I worked with McGilvray a couple of times in 1980, along with Bobbie Simpson and Keith Millar amongst others, when i did some cricket statistician gigs with the ABC here in England, covering the ODIs attached to the centenary test. I was 17, cricket mad, being paid to watch cricket surrounded by greats. Life has been great but somehow I doubt that in many ways I'll ever "beat" those two days at the Oval and Edgbaston.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
eddie butler?

surely you jest? He is AWFUL. Thou BCM has whipped him into shape a bit in recent years. This is going back a while but I recall a game where it took EB over 25 minutes to make a refs call correctly, even with ref mikes available to the commentary team.

didds

Dan_A

Player or Coach
Post Likes
This was a new one for me:-

Over his 49 year commentary career, Benaud made numerous remarks that have since become folklore in the game, his quip regarding former Test bowler Glenn McGrath’s dismissal for two runs, “just 98 runs short of his century”, proving to be one of the more commonly remembered phrases.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
didds:296759 said:
eddie butler?

surely you jest? He is AWFUL. Thou BCM has whipped him into shape a bit in recent years. This is going back a while but I recall a game where it took EB over 25 minutes to make a refs call correctly, even with ref mikes available to the commentary team.

didds

That's just the sort of thing we will all fondly remember after he retires.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I think we will just fondly look forward him retiring.

didds

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And as he glances back at the Gates themselves, he will simply say.... "Marvellous!"

Richie took over as "The Voice of Cricket" when my all time favourite cricket commentator, Alan McGilvray, retired in 1986.

R.I.P. Richie

What he said.

Richie on television seemed to be the only/first commentator to understand that the pictures told their own story; his job was to explain, not describe, what was going on.

On radio, John Arlott (the best radio commentator bar none) had the same understanding - except, of course, that he also had to supply the pictures.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Re: Re : Re: RIP Richie Benaud

Mourning, everyone.

best. comment. ever.

interesting to hear that he's been offered a state funeral. can any of our aussie friends comment on how this has gone down?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Re: Re : Re: RIP Richie Benaud

interesting to hear that he's been offered a state funeral. can any of our aussie friends comment on how this has gone down?

Not heard that one yet?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A sad loss to sport in general

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Sad to hear this - a true expert commentator