Ruck clarification recieved today.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I too have incorporated it into pmb. I even get the props to answer when I ask them the question, "When is the ball out of the ruck"?

The props don't care, they're usually on the wing or having a rest at the bottom of the last but one ruck!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Wouldn't it be more sensible for the WRU to make the information available on their official website?

Also a Law reference would be useful to RRF members to support such a decision.

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
16.6 says that a ruck ends when the ball leaves the ruck. So, the IRB have decided that a ball can leave a ruck "vertically", and that it does not have to clear the feet of the players in the ruck.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
16.6 says that a ruck ends when the ball leaves the ruck. So, the IRB have decided that a ball can leave a ruck "vertically", and that it does not have to clear the feet of the players in the ruck.

Once 'clearly lifted' seems to be suffient to meet their guidance of:

When a scrum half attempts to retrieve the ball from a ruck, the ball is not out until that player has picked the ball up from the ground.

An unnecessary 'jump start' for defences IMHO, but its there for all to read.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Once 'clearly lifted' seems to be suffient to meet their guidance of:

When a scrum half attempts to retrieve the ball from a ruck, the ball is not out until that player has picked the ball up from the ground.

An unnecessary 'jump start' for defences IMHO, but its there for all to read.

I don't have a problem with this, so long as the referees strictly enforce the HMF offside laws at the ruck, and don't allow participants in the ruck to grab the SH. Also, at the scrum, specifically the "both feet behind the ball for the non ball winning SH" aspect must be enforced. Elite referees are really slack on this, and too often, we are seeing well won ball at the back of a the scrum being disrupted by SH's who are clearly offside.

Elite referees also seem quite happy to allow the non-ball winning SHs to lean over members of the opposing scrum to facilitate disrupting the ball.

(if I had my way, the SH offside line would be the tunnel of the scrum as we do in juniors)

How long will it be before some smartarse 9 grabs the ball and slides it along the ground before lifting it?

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
this is how I've always briefed my SH's, "ball is out once you lift it off the ground". However I still have BR players (usually) screaming "hands on" and diving on the SH only to get pinged :shrug:

I make a point of tell this to all SH's at the PMB and ALWAYS ask the captain to pass it on to all his players, they rarely do :shrug:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
How long will it be before some smartarse 9 grabs the ball and slides it along the ground before lifting it?

I'll give it until this weekend at the latest.

didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I'll give it until this weekend at the latest.

didds

Does it actually matter if he does?

His teams not using the ball either, if ref decides its playable we'll hear "use it" soon enough.
, so, unless I'm mistaken other than holding the defence there isn't much benefit for his team ?