Rugby Laws to become Clearer

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Surely this revised book should have been seen by: Refs (including advisors) / Players / Coaches even journos.

This.

Historically however WR has seemed to not consult anybody on anything regarding the laws

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Surely this revised book should have been seen by: Refs (including advisors) / Players / Coaches even journos.

But but but... The laws aren't actually going to change at all *cough*, so there's not much need.

TBH, I expect (hope) the only possible differences are when some refs or societies have different interpretations for rare situations - e.g. taking a QTI into the 22.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The problem I have is that Jan 1 is less than one month away and we have not got the book to hand.

But if there is not going to any changes to he law does it matter?

Law Simplification Group: Mark Harrington (World Rugby Head of Technical Services and club head coach), Tappe Henning (Scottish Rugby Union Referee Manager and former international referee), Dr Ross Tucker (sports scientist), Rod Hill (New Zealand Rugby Referee Manager), Chris Cuthbertson (Chairman RFU Laws Committee), James Fitzgerald (World Rugby Media Manager and former international referee), Adam Pearson (web designer/illustrator).

No players.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Finally. I've been reffing with my old trusty 1862 copy of the law book.
You wouldn't believe the quizzical looks I get when I penalise players for walking in front if the Headmaster's house !
I'm also impressed that some matched can last for 5 days !

Here are some of the laws :
39. All matches are drawn after five days, or after three days if no goal has been kicked.
40. Two big side balls must always be in the close during a match or big side.
41. No football shall be played between the goals till the Sixth match.
42. Three Praepostors constitute a big side.
43. At a big side the two players highest in the School shall toss up.
44. Old Rugbeians shall be allowed to play at the matches of football, not however, without the consent of the two heads of the side; but no stranger may have a place kick at goal.
45. The walk in front of the Headmaster's House, leading to the Barby Road is in goal.

Merry Christmas !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Finally. I've been reffing with my old trusty 1862 copy of the law book.
You wouldn't believe the quizzical looks I get when I penalise players for walking in front if the Headmaster's house !
I'm also impressed that some matched can last for 5 days !

Here are some of the laws :
39. All matches are drawn after five days, or after three days if no goal has been kicked.
40. Two big side balls must always be in the close during a match or big side.
41. No football shall be played between the goals till the Sixth match.
42. Three Praepostors constitute a big side.
43. At a big side the two players highest in the School shall toss up.
44. Old Rugbeians shall be allowed to play at the matches of football, not however, without the consent of the two heads of the side; but no stranger may have a place kick at goal.
45. The walk in front of the Headmaster's House, leading to the Barby Road is in goal.

Merry Christmas !

I have had the privilege of refereeing on The Close at Rugby School :hap:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
But if there is not going to any changes to he law does it matter?
No players.

Because we will be challenged by interpretations of the wording - there will be some! It would help if we are quoting the applicable wording and not the old, even if "the meaning is the same" (ho ho ho).

The make up of the working group is one thing. The make up of the body of users is different. Most companyies trial products etc on the users before general release. Why does Rugby Union think it is so different?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
This.

Historically however WR has seemed to not consult anybody on anything regarding the laws

didds

Indeed, but why repeat the mistakes of history?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In a press release posted to www.rugbytoday.com Bill Beaumont is credited with the following quote:

[FONT=&quot]“This has been a truly collaborative effort with every [/FONT][FONT=&quot]union given the opportunity to contribute[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. I’d like to thank them and the working group for their full commitment to an extensive and important process. I believe what they have produced will make a big difference to the game as we seek to make rugby more accessible to all.”

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now, I'm not sure what my union (USA Rugby) contributed. Probably not much.

However, I have to think that if there are no actual changes to the meaning of the laws then I'm not sure what it is they could have said. It seems to me it really would be a job for a good technical writer rather than the crew listed.

I do think that they are smart in publishing both old and new for 2018. I'll be downloading both to see how they compare.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I do think that they are smart in publishing both old and new for 2018. I'll be downloading both to see how they compare.
[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT="]

[/FONT]

I may have read it wrong but I thought they meant the 2017 law book and the new slimmer 2018 law book will both apply for the 2017/2018 season in the Northern Hemisphere. I don't think they are writing a long and a short version of the 2018 book.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The new law book will shortly be printed and distributed in the usual way while an online version will go live on 1 January.

Is somebody having a laugh?

We have tried to get printed lawbooks and have been told they are not available. It's "all online" apparently.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like a proper book to read.

1. The Laws are in a PDF format

2. You have a computer with Adobe Reader installed and printer attached?

3. If so, print the bloody thing!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

The WR printed law book is much handier.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

Providing a printed copy for a ref is not that much to ask. The ref gives his time buys a lot of kit flags etc and all (in Wales) for 45p per mile. So thanks all the same I'm not printing out a 200+ page book in colour.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The WR printed law book is much handier.
Providing a printed copy for a ref is not that much to ask. The ref gives his time buys a lot of kit flags etc and all (in Wales) for 45p per mile. So thanks all the same I'm not printing out a 200+ page book in colour.
Exactly. OK when I'm sat at my comfy desk, I mostly refer to the online version, but when I'm sat in the car or in a damp changing room and want to check something, you can't beat a proper book.

And if Refs don't get given a lawbook, I reckon it's a poor show. Lets be blunt, if WR won't give Refs a lawbook, there's no point them printing them any more, because no other sod is going to read it. I never even saw a lawbook till I became a Ref, let alone read one. Hell, I'd even pay for one if I was asked to, but given that we are volunteers, I reckon an useful free booklet once a year isn't too much to ask for surely. I'm starting to feel like Bob Cratchitt asking for a lump of coal to put on the fire. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
As I said suggested earlier ask Marcia.

oddshapedball

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
The truth is the top level players know the laws inside out (mostly) and do everything in their power to stretch the to just about breaking point without being penalised.

It is the poor buggers at the bottom end who play for Old Players 4th XV who watch the Professional game and think "I can do that!"...er no you can't and look what you've done!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so presumably the issue is that at the elite end they are being allowed to get away with something that they shouldn;t?

didds

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Was listening to a Myles Harrison & Stuart Barnes commentary recently

Can someone please make sure those 2 get a copy of the simplified law book

Thank you

Richard smith

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Taff
My Home Union are normally pretty good at letting us have a new lawbook when its reprinted and distributed. I will look out for notification from my union in this regard :scot: