Rugby Laws to become Clearer

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am going to be optimistic that the large majority of issues and questions we have toiled over on this forum will be resolved, and we won't have to debate the minutia of every law to get a clear answer.

Where'd be the fun in that?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I've just had a thought... Is David Davies involved with all of this?

didds

Well A few months ago he said he'd written it but yesterday he denied it.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I'm waiting for the Donald Trump tweet to tell me it's fake news.:hap:

If it is much simpler and easier to use I would like to say my farewells now and thank you for your company over the last few years! :norc:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
A completely rewritten Law book is quite an undertaking. No matter how carefully it's done , it's bound to have a whole new set of gaps ambiguities.
It would be nice to see some signs of an infrastructure to it all. Two examples of what I mean.

Transitions.
Going from one phase of play to another is imperfectly covered. They need a diagram of some sort that lists all possibilities, and then they can decide what to do about each and where to put it in the laws.

Touch.
Similarly they need a list (flow chart perhaps) covering the various options before trying to write the wording to describe the situations. It should also help them to pick the best strategy eg should a player be in until he lands out or vice versa?

The fact that we are only presented with the final product with no evidence as to how it was derived is unsatisfactory. All we get are some hopeful comments such as "designed to make the game flow better".

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
How often has the law book been rewritten?

1871 (55 years) 1926 (43 years) 1969 (31 years) 2000 (18 years) 2018

How long before it becomes an annual (monthly/weekly/daily/...) event?

Balones

Post Likes
How often has the law book been rewritten?

1871 (55 years) 1926 (43 years) 1969 (31 years) 2000 (18 years) 2018

How long before it becomes an annual (monthly/weekly/daily/...) event?

Guinness book of laws?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
This is from the World Rugby press release.

The result is a law book that is more logically laid out, clearer in its explanations and, with various repetitions and contradictions removed, 42 per cent shorter than the current version.

Sounds good as long as they have done it properly.

https://www.worldrugby.org/news/299688

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The new law book will shortly be printed and distributed in the usual way while an online version will go live on 1 January. As there is no difference in law between the two books, either version can be used for the remainder of the 2017-18 season in the northern hemisphere.

(Where is the crossed fingers icon?)

Balones

Post Likes
The new law book will shortly be printed and distributed in the usual way while an online version will go live on 1 January. As there is no difference in law between the two books, either version can be used for the remainder of the 2017-18 season in the northern hemisphere.

(Where is the crossed fingers icon?)

I'm sure that if there are any differences I will be able to find a forum where they will be spotted. Any suggestion/recommendations?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The new law book will shortly be printed and distributed in the usual way while an online version will go live on 1 January.

Is somebody having a laugh?

We have tried to get printed lawbooks and have been told they are not available. It's "all online" apparently.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like a proper book to read.

Last edited:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The new law book will shortly be printed and distributed in the usual way while an online version will go live on 1 January.

Is somebody having a laugh?

We have tried to get printed lawbooks and have been told they are not available. It's "all online" apparently.

Call me old-fashioned, but I like a proper book to read.

Speak to Marcia. I got one from her.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I find it rather ironic that the people quoting on this thread have howled for years that the law book needs to be rewritten...and now that it is the same people are saying "It'll never work".

we kick WR from the side-line for doing nothing...and now they're doing something we're having a bigger kick.

Well if I'm going to be kicked in the @rse I'd rather be kicked for having a go rather than doing nothing.

I'm going to try to remain positive on this one.

(though secretly I too am a little bit suspicious how much WR might screw this up and make it worse!:holysheep:)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I expect the new Law Book will be imperfect , but an improvement on the current one

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I find it rather ironic that the people quoting on this thread have howled for years that the law book needs to be rewritten...and now that it is the same people are saying "It'll never work".

we kick WR from the side-line for doing nothing...and now they're doing something we're having a bigger kick.

Well if I'm going to be kicked in the @rse I'd rather be kicked for having a go rather than doing nothing.

(though secretly I too am a little bit suspicious how much WR might screw this up and make it worse!:holysheep:)

Hope for the best & expect the worst :)

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

I an happy that the job has been done (especially as people here have said there is no time etc for the job as there are "more important things to do). The problem I have is that Jan 1 is less than one month away and we have not got the book to hand. Surely this revised book should have been seen by: Refs (including advisors) / Players / Coaches even journos.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I expect the new Law Book will be imperfect , but an improvement on the current one

I'm absolutely not expecting perfection, but if they can clarify a few definitions and indicate which points can be generalised, it might at least be easier to explain to players and spectators.