RWC 2019 cancellations

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If, contrary to the agreed tournament rules, they try to rearrange the Sco Jap game, I wonder if Japan would refuse to play.
They would be quite entitled to

, 1 it's the regs and
2 England and NZ were handed their group courtesy of a cancellation, why shouldn't they get the same

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
While I do not support the cancellation of these matches (cancellation three days ahead of the match leaves plenty of time to rechedule) I think some of you, especially if you have never wandered much outside of Europe, have no real idea what its like to be caught up in a typhoon. Oh sure, you may have seen it all on TV, but unless you have ever been to Asia, you can't know.

I was stationed at the USN Base in Subic Bay in 1987 when Typhoon Betty arrived, 200 km/h winds, massive bursts of driving rain, power lines down everywhere, homes and buildings demolished, roads and rail tracks ripped up. I will never forget the sight of a bus tipped up on its front end, resting wheels-first against the side of what remained of a building. The destructive power of these things is extraordinary and has to be experienced to be believed - and we weren't even in its central path.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
As Mark says it is not a suprise and they shouldn't have chosen Japan in storm season. At the very least they should have had a reasonable contingency. Cancelling matches and carrying on regardless is outrageous.

Its is very rare for a Cat 5 Super Typhoon to hit Japan this late in the season. The peak for the big ones is usually July to September, tapering off during the end of September until the end of the season in November.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It's been a while since NZ didn't win a pool game. Well done gli Azzurri!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm sure a number of Heineken cup games have been rescheduled in recent years to the next day due to frost/snow.
You would have thought a 24/48 hour postponement would be perfectly reasonable for any game in the World Cup due to adverse weather conditions on the day.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
The last team to hold the ABs to 0-0 was Scotland in 1964..!

WR have planned around some typhoons already so far, but this one is really big.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
If, contrary to the agreed tournament rules, they try to rearrange the Sco Jap game, I wonder if Japan would refuse to play.
They would be quite entitled to

, 1 it's the regs and
2 England and NZ were handed their group courtesy of a cancellation, why shouldn't they get the same
Japan were okay to reschedule or relocate, up to 48 hours after. It is WR who are putting fan/volunteer safety first, it seems. Traveling to a new venue in such conditions is dangerous. (3 people died in the last smaller typhoon only last week.) ABs are still unbeaten in the pool stages. Unlikely Italy would have prevailed anyway.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Japan were okay to reschedule or relocate, up to 48 hours after. It is WR who are putting fan/volunteer safety first, it seems. Traveling to a new venue in such conditions is dangerous. (3 people died in the last smaller typhoon only last week.) ABs are still unbeaten in the pool stages. Unlikely Italy would have prevailed anyway.

I went to hear Brian Moore do a talk this evening. He said that

he had heard that WR approached the affected teams to talk about contingency plans (moving venues and/or delaying). New Zealand refused to entertain any ideas and insisted on sticking to the rules everyone has signed up to. They didn't want to disrupt their QF preparations.

WR then felt that all games have to be treated the same, if they cancel one (in accordance with the rules) they must cancel the others (in accordance with the rules).​

IMO --- at the end of the day : if everyone has signed up to some rules then .. well .. them's the rules.

Last edited:

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
I went to hear Brian Moore do a talk this evening. He said that

he had heard that WR approached the affected teams to talk about contingency plans (moving venues and/or delaying). New Zealand refused to entertain any ideas and insisted on sticking to the rules everyone has signed up to. They didn't want to disrupt their QF preparations.

WR then felt that all games have to be treated the same, if they cancel one (in accordance with the rules) they must cancel the others (in accordance with the rules).​

IMO --- at the end of the day : if everyone has signed up to some rules then .. well .. them's the rules.

The old blame NZ game again!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
possibly :)

but for me the lesson of this is : everyone agreed to the competition rules, there is no option other than to enforce the rules.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was actually making the opposite point that no RWC venue is perfect , but nevertheless we need to make compromises and fit them in anyway.

But looks like I hit a nerve !
It's ok it's not the size of the stadiums that matter it's the atmosphere you create in them

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Ireland’s (failed) Rugby World Cup 2023 bid, relied heavily on Gaelic football stadiums. Since we simply don’t have enough Rugby venues on the island. Compared to Japan our rail infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I can't verify, but there was a claim that the regs stated venues could me moved but game days couldn't? That said the AB's have come out and said they were happy to play the game a day early (maybe you can infer from silence that not happy to play a day later!), I think WR are desperately trying to find a 'fair for all' solution - but as we've seen that's impossible

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
SRU are suggesting they may resort to legal wotsits if their game against japan gets cancelled

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can't verify, but there was a claim that the regs stated venues could me moved but game days couldn't? That said the AB's have come out and said they were happy to play the game a day early (maybe you can infer from silence that not happy to play a day later!), I think WR are desperately trying to find a 'fair for all' solution - but as we've seen that's impossible

Cancelled Matches
Where a pool Match cannot be commenced on the day in which it is scheduled, it shall not be postponed to thefollowing day, and shall be considered as cancelled. In such situations, the result shall be declared a draw andTeams will be allocated two Match points each and no score registered. For the avoidance of doubt, no bonuspoints will be awarded.

https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/tournament-rules

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Interestingly, from those tournament rules
[LAWS]No Match points will be awarded to a Team which has been expelled from the Tournament, refuses to play a Match or abandons a Match in progress, without direction from Match Officials or the Match Commissioner, subject always to the provisions of the Terms of Participation. Should this occur, the opponent in that Match shall be awarded a win and therefore four Match points. For the avoidance of doubt, bonus points will not be awarded.[/LAWS]If WR chose to reschedule the NZ game to the day after, while they could still refuse to play, it wouldn’t be without consequences. Italy would get four points and NZ none. Perhaps WR should put that to the test, propose a rescheduled fixture for each game at risk and see how much England and New Zealand actually want to profit from the tournament rules to get those extra rest days.

Eddie Jones says he has little sympathy for Scotland’s plight, yet he would be creating all sorts of scandal, if his team were so affected. Rules are rules, Eddie, until they no longer suit you. For the knockout stages the rule is somewhat different
Cancelled Matches
Where a knock-out Match cannot commence within the two days following the scheduled Match day (or such longer period as specified by RWCL) or is abandoned prior to half-time and cannot be postponed and rescheduled within this period, it shall be considered as cancelled.

Last edited: