Rwc nz v aus

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the 'unconcious bias" is real, as I say even the Kiwis talk about it. He has a sort of reverence for the AB's that translates into one sided decision making.

Oh spare me!!! Professional rugby referees, especially at this level, do not favour one team over the other because of some "reverence" they have for a team, and frankly, such an allegayton is a little insulting to the referee.

This weekend, NO will see this as one team wearing jerseys of one colour playing against another team wearing jerseys of a different colour. Nothing more, nothing less, and nor would I expect anything else.

galumay

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Oh spare me!!! Professional rugby referees, especially at this level, do not favour one team over the other because of some "reverence" they have for a team, and frankly, such an allegayton is a little insulting to the referee.

This weekend, NO will see this as one team wearing jerseys of one colour playing against another team wearing jerseys of a different colour. Nothing more, nothing less, and nor would I expect anything else.

Thats why I say its an unconcious bias,I am sure if asked he would not be aware of it.

There was even an article about it in the NZ press recently, it has to be pretty obvious for the beneficiaries of it to comment on it!

Anyway, as I said, its just another factor in understanding what has to be done to win the game, as long as the Wallabies score more points than the AB's they will win the game regardless of Nigel's refereeing.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
perhaps NZ are better than most teams at studying refs and adjusting their play to suit the ref..

(after all, NZ seem to be better than most teams at almost everything!)

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Bookmakers look to balance books and make money not to provide statistical odds of winning.

If they expect/receive lots of money on NZ then the Oz price will move out to capture some $ to mitigate potential losses.

The odds provided are more an indication of where punters are putting their money than what bookies think the difference between the teams is.

The NZ TAB for example has to try and balance a potential pasting from a NZ win by providing attractive odds on Australia

Or by offering attractive odds on specific results such as a win by 20-30 points, halftime leads, first scorer etc.

While bookies themselves are no better or worse than others at predicting complex outcomes, betting markets (including futures and options markets) that collate "crowd wisdom" generally perform considerably better than experts and pundits. Far from infallible, still, and skewed by local preferences.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
He does appear to have a bee in his bonnet about hands on the deck/not supporting weight, which could go against Pocock who does this more than McCaw does.

I'm not sure this should be classified as a 'bee in his bonnet' suggesting he is being picky. I see it as enforcing the law in the way all referees should. Hands on the ground supporting your weight, you're off your feet PING.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

this bloke has a different view:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...-referee-the-rugby-world-cup-final-or-will-he

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes, well I clicked on your link and the first two words I read were "Mark Reason". I didn't bother reading any further.

Is he froggie gutter press too?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is he froggie gutter press too?

Nope, just an a-hole, like his father.

I put him in the same category as Spiro Zavos and Stephen Jones.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Mark Reason is a poor excuse for a journo. He's not fit to tie his father's boot laces. So that shows how low he is.

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm not sure this should be classified as a 'bee in his bonnet' suggesting he is being picky. I see it as enforcing the law in the way all referees should. Hands on the ground supporting your weight, you're off your feet PING.

I agree. My comment was meant to explain that it is an area he applies more than some others. No slur on NO at all, more that we have seen others in the elite category that appear to ignore this law unless you are lying prone while others will whistle a touch of the ground past the ball before raking back.
There are some very inconsistent applications or interpretations of this.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Sorry, couldn't help myself :) Fish, barrel and all that.

Mark Reason puts up his opinions and he is PAID to do so; that puts him in the firing for criticism.

I have actually met him once, and that once was enough.

PS: Your really do go out of your way to try to provoke me don't you!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
PS: Your really do go out of your way to try to provoke me don't you!

Yeah, sometimes. But you do paint a pretty big target. I'll have to work on my self control.

If I said "I just call it the way I see it" and "I'm not here to win a popularity contest" - would that make it all better?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mark Reason is a poor excuse for a journo. He's not fit to tie his father's boot laces. So that shows how low he is.

Do you refute these stats? I don't know either way but surely that is of more interest than the messenger and/or his father:

When playing outside Australia under Owens, the Wallabies have not won in six attempts. The Green and Gold website calculates that Australia scores an average of 10 fewer points than under other refs and concedes almost four more penalties than the opposition.

In contrast the All Blacks have won 12 matches in a row with Owens in charge.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Do you refute these stats? I don't know either way but surely that is of more interest than the messenger and/or his father:
I doubt either of those stats would be statistically significant. 6 games is a very small sample size. Is there a list of which games they were, when they were played, and what the comparisons are to?

The second stat is even more likely to be statistically insignificant; Recently the All Blacks have commonly won 12 games in a row, regardless of who is in the middle or even who the opposition

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

Context and relevance of the statistics are important.

Take this one. It's true!:

South Africa have NEVER beaten Japan with Jerome Garces as Referee. They have a 100% loss record with him in the middle against Japan.

Now what should we read into that?

ANSWER

Clearly Garces is a Bok hater?

NO

Nothing it is only one game!

So I refute the statistical significance of those statistics.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
when the game starts on Saturday, please can we have a new thread to discuss it.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Australia have a 100% record under Nigel Owens at home over the last 2 years. Does the Aussie crowd gets to him?

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
when the game starts on Saturday, please can we have a new thread to discuss it.

Why??? :-(

There'll be nothing to discuss?
Sir NO will get nothing wrong.
Richie will retire and we can stop hating him.
The result will be as we all expect.

See...nothing to discuss. May as well stick the boot in now. :wink::biggrin: