Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Sad thing is look at the AR at the bottom of the picture looking straight at it!!!!

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I blew up for something similar in my game yesterday. As team A picked up from a ruck to trundle on another metre one of their players in the guard position grabbed an oncoming opponent to prevent him tackling the ball carrier

needless to say he was astounded an all innocent.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
haha good to see a couple of healthy Aussies on their feet in a rugby game

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Did anyone else think Slipper's (#17) YC (at about 52min) for 'slowing the ball' was a bit of a crock? IMO he was the jackler (one of 2) with hands on the ball (yes on his feet too) well before a SA supporter joined to form a ruck. At the time I couldn't understand why AR was telling him to get his hands away. I can understand the YC IF in fact it was a PK but after replaying it a couple of times I think AR got this wrong. Wonder if anyone else agrees or whether I missed something?

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I remember seeing it, and there was nothing wrong with it. Samo is onside, and holding his ground. Phipps hasn't run around behind Samo. The SA defender has made contact with Samo.

So the SA defender was standing in a offside position with his one hand up with Samo's head under his arm the whole time? Yeah right

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Don't think he said that cave - dont you think it's plausible that Samo was attacking pillar and by the time Phipps has picked up the ball and shaped to kick that the SA defending pilla,r from onside, has run into Samo? It's not as if Samo has to disappear to make way. That seems plausible to me...obviously would be clear if there was video clip of it the 5 seconds preceeding it.

Last edited:

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Don't think he said that cave - dont you think it's plausible that Samo was attacking pillar and by the time Phipps has picked up the ball and shaped to kick that the SA defending pilla,r from onside, has run into Samo? It's not as if Samo has to disappear to make way. That seems plausible to me...obviously would be clear if there was video clip of it the 5 seconds preceeding it.

Look at Samo's legs..........

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yep - shaped to brace himself...still plausible but happy to be corrected with more complete vision.. But tbh I couldn't be f'd looking for it. We were well hammered. Couldn't delete the game from my PVR quick enough after watching it.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just record the cricket over it haha

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Did anyone else think Slipper's (#17) YC (at about 52min) for 'slowing the ball' was a bit of a crock? IMO he was the jackler (one of 2) with hands on the ball (yes on his feet too) well before a SA supporter joined to form a ruck. At the time I couldn't understand why AR was telling him to get his hands away. I can understand the YC IF in fact it was a PK but after replaying it a couple of times I think AR got this wrong. Wonder if anyone else agrees or whether I missed something?

You are right that Slipper's entry was OK and that he was initially on his feet. The problem is that he goes off his feet and continues to play the ball.

a.png
b.png

By at least the third in this series of photos (that I cannot upload due to an upload quota) his bodyweight is not supported by his feet and he needs to let go and allow the ball to come free. Pretty straight forward PK IMO, and the YC was probably fair enough, by memory there had been a few penalties in a row.

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Green player on the floor looks to be first offender, his hand is still very clearly on the ball as the Gold jackler attempts to lift it in frame 1.

What is Gold 22 doing? He appears to be about to launch himself into the breakdown from the front... did he?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I remember seeing it, and there was nothing wrong with it. Samo is onside, and holding his ground. Phipps hasn't run around behind Samo. The SA defender has made contact with Samo.

I agree, as long as Samo was onside at the time the ball came out.

While he would not have been allowed to move into the SA player's line, he does NOT have to get out of the way either.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Green player on the floor looks to be first offender, his hand is still very clearly on the ball as the Gold jackler attempts to lift it in frame 1.

What is Gold 22 doing? He appears to be about to launch himself into the breakdown from the front... did he?

The photo does look like that. I think its slightly misleading because at that frame the player has only just placed it and within a fraction of a second later Slipper has gone completely off his feet and ends up killing the ball. From the first still photo you would think that Slipper is attempting to pick the ball up, but when you watch the clip I just don't think he is.

Davet

Post Likes
I think its slightly misleading because at that frame the player has only just placed it and within a fraction of a second later Slipper has gone completely off his feet and ends up killing the ball.

Is that beacuse he is saddle rolled by Green?

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Is that beacuse he is saddle rolled by Green?

No I don't think so, in fact his saddle roll is about the least effective clear out I think I have seen.

Let me try and upload a clip of it so we can discuss it properly. I may well be being a bit lenient on the ball carrier.

Davet

Post Likes
Yeah, ineffective clearout, but Slipper then has a second go when off his feet.