[Line out] Saracens vs Munster European Rugby Champions Cup

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not sure I agree. You yourself have never let slip any foul language on, or near the field of play?

No I have not. Thanks all the same.

- - - Updated - - -

One could also argue that the actions of the Munster medic sparked Sarries to up their game as well.

I think that Marc Wakeham is suggesting that the response by EPCR is too light, in that the medic concerned showed little - if any - professional courtesy or respect for any of the game values. I tend to agree that the sanction should have been harsher.

THais is exactly what I'm saying.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Not sure I agree. You yourself have never let slip any foul language on, or near the field of play?

This example of ERC fining a team doctor for calling the opposition hooker “a fat so-n-so”. They only did so because they had to be seen to keep from bringing the game into disrepute. Everyone could plainly see the player was acting the twat (spoiling for a fight because unable at that point of the match to break down the opposition) and deserved a dressing down; argument centered around the medic’s choice of words. Did he use the c word? Nobody actually heard what was said on live TV. What’s wrong with calling a spade a spade?

Moral of the story 30 players behave disgracefully plus a team of four who don’t deal with the incident satisfactorily. Somebody has to be punished. Restarting with a penalty against Black10 for joining the 30-man fray,was ridiculous. Either penalize Red and send their medic from the playing enclosure or penalize Black 2 for trying to provoke a fight ; or perhaps Red 7 for retaliation. However don’t just make up a penalty; zero credibility Monsieur Gauzère . Ironically, the unfairness of the penalty sparked Sarries to up their game and ultimately helped them close out this game. Who ever said a referee’s decisions can’t influence the outcome of a game of such small margins.

Is your argument that the Medic shouldn't have received any sanction at all?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Is it the "Fat **** or the aftermath or the fact JK is a doctor that is the issue?

It's very much the same language used by Peter O'Mahony when he and Kyle Sinckler (Ireland v England - last year?) squared up to each other and nothing of note happened. Other than the commentators apologised and I laughed a lot.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
for me the sanction seems about right - a fine that is annoying but not bankrupting, and a suspended ban that will come into force if he there is any subsequent. Good call

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is it the "Fat **** or the aftermath or the fact JK is a doctor that is the issue?

It's very much the same language used by Peter O'Mahony when he and Kyle Sinckler (Ireland v England - last year?) squared up to each other and nothing of note happened. Other than the commentators apologised and I laughed a lot.

Players have "heat of the moment" incidents. Off field staff are not part of that "situation". they should be judged differently.