Sat Nav

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well I certainly could have used one today, the southern access to Winchester was closed off for the gas men's holiday overtime and needed good local knowledge to get around thence onto Overton (which is out in the boonies anyway and does not have a postcode, the rugby club that is) intuitively finding my way cross country through some lovely little villages like Micheldever but then the sun was out.

One of my colleagues, young Peter TC, reckoned he had completed 6 hours of refereeing this weekend when we finished at Winchester precisely at 1900 this evening. Nice gisit though.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
Ha could have told you that I was up there on tuesday and found my way out of the diversion using my exceptional sense of direction and a load of good luck

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Overton Rugby Club Postcode - RG28 7NU.

It's the end of the lane leading up to the club.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
50% off all Sat Navs until April 20th at Halfords.

Halfords

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
When going to a new club I put the post code into Google maps first, then switch to satellite view to see if there is a rugby pitch visible.

The post code for Alcester Rugby Club took me to Alcester Tennis Club, thats why I check.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Overton Rugby Club Postcode - RG28 7NU.

It's the end of the lane leading up to the club.

I am well acquainted with the ground Dave as you know and you have to admit that post code is pretty useless unless you have had some local guidance as well or prior experience.

Having popped out of Winchester via the Worthys, I did not want to double back to compete for the A34 so took the scenic route via the A33 and followed my nose instead, much more pleasant.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Deeps - I know you know where the ground is - but in fairness to the club they do publish the postcode on their website - and for those less familiar with the place that lets your satnav get you within about half a mile, from which point the ground is signposted.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
50% off all Sat Navs until April 20th at Halfords.

Halfords

Deal done, Garmin Nuvi 250W, Halfords £124.99; half price my armpit but a good deal nonetheless. The clincher was better after sales service as reported by countless reviews on various sites; apparently Tom Tom is not as good.

The tester this weekend will be South Wales; OMG, is Wales still in Europe!

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
As some have already said, don't rely on just the postcode, get a road name too if you can. The postcode is only ever any good if the location has a road name and a number, which most clubs don't have!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
On the subject of Sat-Nav in general.

I have "Co-Pilot" Sat-Nav on my MDA/Phone and when I go to a new club I always add it to my favourites, so I now have most clubs on it. I just choose the club from favourites and off I go.

On the few occasions the postcode or address didn't get me there. On arrival I can select "current location" (while sat in the car park) and save that as the favourite with the club name, so I will get there next time without the detour.

NB: A couple of Clubs are on a road that is closed at one end and the Sat Nav has tried to take me into the closed end of the road. Something to note.

This Saturday I am at Pinley RFC in Coventry. Just looked the postcode up on google maps, switched to satellite view and could easily see how far along the road the club is. I was also (as it's in a city) able to switch to street view and walk up and down the street until I found the entrance. Brilliant!!!

View attachment 680

Last edited:

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I used to hate playing at Pinley, the game always descended into a mass brawl within about 20 minutes.

Hope you enjoy your game on Saturday.

mehemlynn

Referees in America
Post Likes
My husband and I have used both Garmin (Dad's) and Tom Tom (ours) . We went with the Tom Tom so we could get both US and Europe maps (this is a little higher level than the Tom Tom One).

They have a lot of the same features, except the Tom Tom doesn't announce that you messed up; the Garmin kept saying "off route, recalculating".

When he takes it back to the Wales, I'll probably get a Tom Tom one for around the US. We have also been using Google to find the fields then adding them as favorite places in our Tom Tom.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I used to hate playing at Pinley, the game always descended into a mass brawl within about 20 minutes.

That because you never had me as the referee :biggrin:
971499435ce20f39.gif

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Didn't someone start a Rugby Club POI file collection some time back? What happened to that?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Pinley didn't confirm and I have been reassigned to a L10 league game.

So I still haven't been to Pinley.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well my Garmin got me safely to the required spot near Monmouth although, it had a habit of belling me with warnings about 30 mph speed limits when I was nowhere near any speed restriction.

With only a post code to go on, the nice lady told me to turn left and proceed 1.5 miles 'when you will arrive at your destination'. Without a road name or house number I then had to rely on my oppo's instructions; 'Go past the farm on your right, then the white house (they are all bludy white!) and our drive is next on your right. I will leave the dustbin out with the house name on it.'

I had to tell him that my navaid does not accept dustbins.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well my Garmin got me safely to the required spot near Monmouth although, it had a habit of belling me with warnings about 30 mph speed limits when I was nowhere near any speed restriction.
Monmouth, eh? A town that's never sure whether it's Welsh or English this year. Eitehr Rolls or Royce lived there, so ti ought to be obvious it's English. However, the local fuzz may adopt Welsh tactics, and hide both the speed limit signs and the speed trap cameras. You may well owe the lady several drinks!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

With only a post code to go on, the nice lady told me to turn left and proceed 1.5 miles 'when you will arrive at your destination'. Without a road name or house number I then had to rely on my oppo's instructions; 'Go past the farm on your right, then the white house (they are all bludy white!) and our drive is next on your right. I will leave the dustbin out with the house name on it.'

I had to tell him that my navaid does not accept dustbins.

As you drove over the border did the Satnav's previously English voices start talking about you in Welsh?:biggrin:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Most Sat Navs identify speed cameras by their proximity to your location, so you can get a warning for a speed camera on a road crossing yours, or alongside yours. Depends on what setting you have.

I

iansimcox

Sat-Nav usage advice

Always make sure you set it to the correct destination. Use the Map feature to display it. If you end up in the wrong place, it's your fault and your fault only.

As with all things electrical, a sat-nav is a stupid piece of equipment that is capable of very clever things. If you tell it to get you somewhere, it will. However, it does not know whether the place you intend to go and the place you tell it to take you to are, in fact, the same. Responsibility for that lies with the user :D