Sat Nav

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'd recommned a Garmin.

Ditto.

Have used TomTom but found too many errors in their mapping software.

I have a Quest for the bike (as does Mrs B for her Ducati), and a Nuvi for the car all replete with full European maps and post code search capability.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
My Garmin is performing pretty well so far but of course, like radar at sea, it is only an aid to navigation where the Mk 1 Eyeball and common sense should always prevail.

I have been playing with my new toy on some of my regular runs just to see whether I have got the shortest or quickest routes correct with some interesting results with some roads I have only just discovered even having lived in this here neck of the woods for eons.

As I trundled about the Hampshire countryside the other day I had to chuckle at a brand new and properly manufactured road sign. ' No trucks. Do not follow Satnav.' I'll try and find it again and take a picture.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I saw the new Deeps auto last night at the Society meeting - respect !

And to a wry smile on my face at the little boxes and wires inside - as he plugged in the Sat Nav to find his way home to the south coast from Winchester RFC. :D

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
' No trucks. Do not follow Satnav.'

I have never understood this. They were complaining on the radio a while back about trucks using Sat Nav and getting stuck under low bridges and going down roads with weight limits. They were saying there should be a Sat Nav produced for HGV's.

Why?.......as far as I am aware road atlases don't give information on weight limits on roads, etc, so how did all these trucks get around before they had Sat Nav :confused:

A bad workman always blames his tools :nono:

As Deeps says, it is an aid to navigation only. Anyone who blindly follows their Sat Nav with blinkers on is asking for trouble. You still need to read the road signs :=

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
And to a wry smile on my face at the little boxes and wires inside - as he plugged in the Sat Nav to find his way home to the south coast from Winchester RFC. :D

I have mine on all the time, even when I know where I am going, just for the "Safety Camera" alerts.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have mine on all the time, even when I know where I am going, just for the "Safety Camera" alerts.

"In foive hundrid yards turn roight.

Yow have reach your desina...detisinn...desita...the place yow were gowin to awroight! :biggrin:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My Sat Nav is on all the time too. She is Sat next to me.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As I trundled about the Hampshire countryside the other day I had to chuckle at a brand new and properly manufactured road sign. ' No trucks. Do not follow Satnav.' I'll try and find it again and take a picture.

Was it in Winchester by any chance?

Winchester City Council has become the first in the UK to put up 'Do not follow sat-nav' signs near a road often used as a cut-through. Apparently, drivers follow GPS instructions to turn into the shortcut, but get stuck part way down the lane when the road narrows.

Also, further to my last post and Deeps recomendation to use Sat Nav as an aid to navigation only. Some people should not be allowed to use technology!

A woman told yesterday how a satellite navigation system sent her onto a railway line and seconds later a train ploughed into her car.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
"In foive hundrid yards turn roight.

Yow have reach your desina...detisinn...desita...the place yow were gowin to awroight! :biggrin:

Reet lad turn reet at T' dead sheep on top of T' mooer.

Carry on past chap in T' flat cap, then reet at T' bloke weeth whippet.

When tha gets T' pidgin fanciers club, tha's gone tay far.

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
My Satnav has a wife mode:

1) In 300 yards turn left..........(300 yards later) errr. I meant right
2) You should have gone left back there....
3) In 200 metres, stop and ask someone

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My Satnav has a wife mode:

1) In 300 yards turn left..........(300 yards later) errr. I meant right
2) You should have gone left back there....
3) In 200 metres, stop and ask someone

You lucky bar-steward !

Mine is a qualified Driving Instructer, Member of Institute of Advanced Motorists, holds an HGV licence (to drive the horsebox), has a Cambridge masters degree in Geography, has in-built radar & the directional abilities of a homing pigeon, and is always right.

I have only one of the above !

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Well, no, you have all of them really when you think about it.

OK, you might not have control over all of them, but still....:biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Reet lad turn reet at T' dead sheep on top of T' mooer.

Carry on past chap in T' flat cap, then reet at T' bloke weeth whippet.

When tha gets T' pidgin fanciers club, tha's gone tay far.

How do you know where I live?:biggrin: :wow: :wow:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
imgres

t' local poob.

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
How does is work in Glasgow?

Do the satnavs have little legs on them that point in the appropriate direction?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
How does is work in Glasgow?
TomTom is very ethnic in Scotland. I needed to get to the Glasgow Malmaison hotel the other week, and took the wrong turn off a roundabout. Instead of recalculating the route, the unit jumped off my dashboard and nutted me in the head.