Sat Nav

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Having been quite happy to get lost and not ask my way (as long as the sun is out) for years, my birthday money has accumulated to the point where I may just treat myself to a Sat Nav system (so I can threaten to go and visit my chums in France out of season!).

Does anyone have a view as to which is the best Sat Nav to get? The reviews seem to go from one extreme to the other and I am not a member of 'Which' so would value the opinions of my peers and colleagues.

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'd recommned a Garmin.

Simonsky

Referees in England
Post Likes
In a friends car recently trying to find our way to my son's U8's match in South Wales. It was Sony and neither off us could gett it working -my son managed to eventually get the voice to emmerge but we were there by then!!
Apparently the 'Tom-Tom' is easier to use, so people tell me though. Some models are over £300 and probably still direct down side streets that end in bollards.

What about a ref's sat nav giving you an aerial view of the pitch from satellite images - no more dodgy positioning and missed offsides

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Seconded for Tom Tom.

you can buy the Tom Tom one for sub £100 if you look around.

http://www.totalpda.co.uk/TomTom/TomTom-ONE-v3-New-Edition.6865.html

It is really easy to use, and very customisable, you can get the european maps easily enough.
I used one for about 3 years before I got a car with factory fitted Sat Nav.
The Tom Tom is much easier to use than my Factory Fitted one, but not as intuitive, I get live traffic updates and auto re-routing on the built in one.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We bought both daughters Tom Toms at Christmas and they are delighted with them.

We borrowed elder one's on our recent ski trip and found it easy to use, accurate and of great benefit as we meandered down through eastern France.

Have a good afternoon on IOW at Bowl Final.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have Tom Tom software (Navigator 6?) on a Mio PDA. Excellent even though its 2 1/2 years old.

Gets lost on new bit of A1 round Ferrybridge and in the middle of Sheffield - I am King of the dee dah bus lanes. :sad:

Managed to get to small place in Brittany even though it's only got "main" roads of Western Europe on.

Gareth-Lee Smith

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Nice to see I wasn't the only one to get lost around South Wales!

Still have yet to be asked back to Trebanos...

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Chaps,

Many thanks for your contributions. Following Phil E's steer I have joined 'Which' for one month for £1 to gain access to their results. Of course the 'Best Buy' retails for £630 and, having waded through a number of similarly priced 'Best Buys', right down the bottom at my end of the market I found the Tom Tom One series being highly recommended. I had been drawn to the Navman S80 having used Navman gear at sea but none of the Navman series feature in any of the 'Best Buys'.

Unless anyone comes up with a ball breaker to avoid the Tom Tom One then that is likely to feature highly on my wish list.

ST, thanks for the salutations. The Bowl Final on the IOW was a great family occasion, so so rugby but all played in a very good spirit in front of a good crowd. Gay cowboys was the theme afterwards when the blazered gentlemen of the team of 3 ensured their backs were firmly to the wall. Characteristic quality hosting too and only a very short speech from Dr. John.

Mind you the classic bladder trap operated again; no toilets on the train we knew about but only two minutes to get the ferry precluded a pier head stop then agony as the ferry toilets were closed off too. There was a predictable and ungainly stampede to get off the boat at the other end.

Kit recycling as I type then up early tomorrow to get Deeps Junior to Winchester by 0900 and myself to Overton for 1000 for our respective 7s tournaments.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
Deeps get a Tom Tom, reasonably priced, easy to use and two of my lads have them and they both think they are the dogs gonads

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Mind you the classic bladder trap operated again; no toilets on the train we knew about but only two minutes to get the ferry precluded a pier head stop then agony as the ferry toilets were closed off too. There was a predictable and ungainly stampede to get off the boat at the other end.

STILL not sorted? That problem existed when you and I travelled there!

Chris P

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have used a TomTom One for a few years now.
Has got me through London to O2 Arena without any problems, through Bristol City Centre, and out in the wilds of Cornwall and Wales.
Need to update my map though, as my own flat doesn't exist!!

Go with the Tom Tom One mate.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
There are some horror stories associate with SatNav.

Here in NZ, some tourists were using one in a rental car and they wanted to drive from Blenheim to Christchurch. Instead of taking them down State Highway One, it directed them through the Molesworth Sheep Station via Hanmer Springs.

For those English who have not been to these parts, imagine wanting to drive from London to Lincoln, a trip that should have you taking a couple of connecting "A" roads until you get to the A1 near Hatfield and then mostly the A1 and M1 to Sleaford, but instead, your SatNav takes you there via Watling Street and Fosse Way!!

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I drive a lot for my job and have used both Navman and TomTom - the TomTom wins hands down.

But whichever you pick ensure that it will take a full postcode.

And don't follow blind - they're good (and have transformed my life) but they aren't infallible, and roads change. So make sure there is an update facility.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
TomTom One. Easy to follow, clear as crystal, different less garish display for driving at night, can be updated for newer maps online. Full postcode (the wife's integral Audi abomination takes only the first bit - rubbish!). Works like a charm.