Scotland vs England

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Bless Scotland for acknowledging the drinking aspect of watching rugby. Just before the anthems the ground announcer invited spectators to "stand if they can" :)

Stuartg

Referees in England
Post Likes
Garces was so cool and in control. He so reminds me of Mr Bean.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
How garces is an international ref is beyond me.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
How garces is an international ref is beyond me.

This kind of statement upsets me. No argument as to why whatsoever, just a dismissive comment. (Let alone not capitalizing his name).

Yes, he ignored the collapsed scrum a couple of times on a dire pitch, and that's probably for the best, given that neither pack was to blame and both were (professionally) aware.

But he's probably reffing at the international level because he is sufficiently consistently better than you or I, right?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
This kind of statement upsets me. No argument as to why whatsoever, just a dismissive comment. (Let alone not capitalizing his name).

Yes, he ignored the collapsed scrum a couple of times on a dire pitch, and that's probably for the best, given that neither pack was to blame and both were (professionally) aware.

But he's probably reffing at the international level because he is sufficiently consistently better than you or I, right?

And there are no others better? It's not about You and "me" it's about there being no one better than him. That is hard to believe.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
And there are no others better? It's not about You and "me" it's about there being no one better than him. That is hard to believe.

I'm sure there are better referees around than he, just as I know there are better grammarians than myself.

My point is that if you (not you personally, mind) get assigned to referee an international match, you have probably proved yourself somewhere along the line. Calling "uncalled for" is ... "uncalled for" even if the man had a crap match, which I don't think he did.

What I find hard to believe is that having a go at the referee is considered fair play on these forums.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
So what it upsets you. Are we not entitled to opine?

I think you may want to look at the Scottish tight head a bit more if you consider the pitch caused most collapses. Also before half time he allowed 3 penalty offences in one breakdown to occur that cost England points. His positioning was very poor and continually in the way. Breakdown was a crap shoot with Scotland and England reigning on very quickly that there was never going to be a penalty for sealing or going off feet.

The referee is more than fair game if he has a crap game. Especially at that level where a certain standard is expected.

Barnes had an outstanding game, am I allowed to say that or is that opinion forbidden too?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
So what it upsets you. Are we not entitled to opine?
If you do so without any attempt to justify your opinion, there is no basis for discussion so it is uninformative and unproductive.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Garces was so cool and in control. He so reminds me of Mr Bean.

I do believe that is what we call an 'oxymoron'. :sarc::biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I counted at least 2 apologies from JG for getting in someone's way (although I think WB did once in the other game) and there were times he had to duck when caught in between passer and recipient.

Not a great performance although he was in good company.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I'm sure there are better referees around than he, just as I know there are better grammarians than myself.

My point is that if you (not you personally, mind) get assigned to referee an international match, you have probably proved yourself somewhere along the line. Calling "uncalled for" is ... "uncalled for" even if the man had a crap match, which I don't think he did.

What I find hard to believe is that having a go at the referee is considered fair play on these forums.

I'm not interested in your grammar. What I'm interested is the standard of referees. To question his suitability for such an appointment is fair game. It is not the same as slagging him off. As referees we are as much "fair game" to a just and polite critique of our display as the players. Both should be analysed and criticised fairly and politely.

The point being made is, I believe, he is not among those who are at the required level YET and so others would have been more suitable appointments. There are a lot of refs who are better than I am. Many of them are not good enough to referee at international level.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Was it England's poor decision making , or Scottish slowing the ball down repeatedly & multi [unbinned] offending that didn't see the scoreboard ticking over more 2nd half ?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Burrell's run before half time, how come no PK or YC for slowing down [blue 12 off feet & handling ball C&O] ?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
JG gave a FK for player on the throwing team not letting the ball go 5m. Admittedly a QT rather than a lineout, but grist to the mill!

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
The referee is more than fair game if he has a crap game. Especially at that level where a certain standard is expected.

In don't live in a world where referees - or indeed anybody in sport - are "fair game", regardless if they are crap or not, and I wouldn't want to. (Politicians are a different matter).

That said, at all levels I appreciate constructive criticism. You offered some in this second post, but you still seem to be wearing your "England fan" hat as opposed to "impartial referee" one.

Barnes had an outstanding game, am I allowed to say that or is that opinion forbidden too?

Where do you get "forbidden" out of my being upset by your negativity in your previous post? Why would I possibly be upset by you stating that any referee had an outstanding game? You might have been "wrong" in the fan opinion of a losing supporter or even of his assessor.

Just to be clear, I do agree that crap posts are fair game. Your first post was a load of crap, in my judgement. That is not to say that you are a crap poster - trust me, I've made enough crap posts myself to know - but as OB.. pointed out, it was neither informative nor productive. Try harder next time to add value to discussion, please.

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
JG gave a FK for player on the throwing team not letting the ball go 5m. Admittedly a QT rather than a lineout, but grist to the mill!

What's the problem? Gave two FKs for this on Saturday myself. 19.10.j - a lineout player must not prevent the ball being thrown in 5 metres.

If the player had not stepped into the 5m channel the other front of the lineout player would have been able to compete. he wasn't hence FK...

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
http://www.rugbydump.com/

See the England v Scotland video Time on the youtube clock c2:49 How is this not a PK to England and a YC?

(it's the incident just before half time)

One could even argue a case for a PT as well. At the time I was screaming as such to the TV and M Garces was even stood the correct side to see the offences and yet chose to ignore them.

As has been said elsewhere, a poor performance in what was a dire match.