Scotland vs England

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
One could even argue a case for a PT as well. At the time I was screaming as such to the TV and M Garces was even stood the correct side to see the offences and yet chose to ignore them.

Blue 11 no clear release and then off his feet
Blue 12 off his feet
Blue 15 side entry

Too many other Blue defenders there for a PT IMO, and in any case acting sh (White 15) doesn't arrive until five seconds after the tackle.

However, this is a nailed on YC; take your pick which one, but I'd go Blue 11 as the most obvious.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Could you YC two offenders at the same ruck?
For example if playing advantage from the first one, then a second cynical offence prevents advantage being used?

It isn't often done I assume, as I've never seen it, but can't think of a reason why you can't, and assume 8.5 (a) allows you to apply sanction for first offence and second for foul play?

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Could you YC two offenders at the same ruck?
For example if playing advantage from the first one, then a second cynical offence prevents advantage being used?

It isn't often done I assume, as I've never seen it, but can't think of a reason why you can't, and assume 8.5 (a) allows you to apply sanction for first offence and second for foul play?

I'd say no, but have no justification - other than ..... doesn't seem right, foul play offences excepted.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
m Garces had a shocker.

I was watching with my girlfriend, who I am gently introducing to my all consuming hobby. "But why is he allowing the blue players to do that?' could only be answered with "out of sympathy" because I couldn't work out his decision making.

We were, it has to be said, ****ing awful. We rarely do well with foreign coaches. I'd bin SJ now. I can take poor Scottish teams, but I can't take Scotland teams who don't play with passion.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
m Garces had a shocker.

I was watching with my girlfriend, who I am gently introducing to my all consuming hobby. "But why is he allowing the blue players to do that?' could only be answered with "out of sympathy" because I couldn't work out his decision making.

We were, it has to be said, ****ing awful. We rarely do well with foreign coaches. I'd bin SJ now. I can take poor Scottish teams, but I can't take Scotland teams who don't play with passion.

I thought you had another foreign coach, Vern Cotter heading your way after he's finished with Clermont-Auvergne?

Actually, Cotter is an excellent coach, and I'm picking that he'll coach the All Blacks in the future, along with Dave Rennie from the Chiefs.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
JG gave a FK for player on the throwing team not letting the ball go 5m. Admittedly a QT rather than a lineout, but grist to the mill!
What's the problem? ... 19.10.j - a lineout player must not prevent the ball being thrown in 5 metres.
I read it three times myself Accylad, but I'm not sure if Dixie was using it as an example of good refereeing.

As an aside, I think there's something quite soothing about the French accent.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I read it three times myself Accylad, but I'm not sure if Dixie was using it as an example of good refereeing.

It goes to the question whether it should be a FK or a scrum. Davet would jump in if still posting

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Can;tr remember the timing but it was first half, fairly well in. A scots player took out an English catcher in the air. It was on about White 10m line, not dangerous really,just a very very badly timed *cough* cuddle the player in the air. Immediate PK, no cards.

No cards? Just wondering what others felt? There wasn;t any real danger to be fair, it was nowhere near any goal lines. But... "very little happens at these levels accidentally" and the timing was SO poor he HAD to know what he was doing? Does this enter the realms of POSSIBLE cards for crass stupidity or (really) a deliberate act of illegal play?

cheers

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It goes to the question whether it should be a FK or a scrum. Davet would jump in if still posting

At a lineout : if a player of either team takes the ball inside the 5m line then I give a FK. (I know some referees are of the view that you FK the non-throwing team, but give options for the same offence by the throwing team, but I don't see the logic of that)

At a QTI it might be different.
- if there is a player from each team competing for the ball then it's a FK for coming inside the 5m line
- if it is a red throw to a red player, with blue nowhere near, then a FK does feel wrong. That feels like cocked up throw, and options.

Loïc

Referees in Finland
Post Likes

I don't know if this is supposed to be a compliment (it sounds like it is, to me) but this is the first time I read this about our accent :)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I thought you had another foreign coach, Vern Cotter heading your way after he's finished with Clermont-Auvergne?

Actually, Cotter is an excellent coach, and I'm picking that he'll coach the All Blacks in the future, along with Dave Rennie from the Chiefs.

There's zero chance he'll go from Scotland to coach the NZAB's , careers go downhill after that gig ! :biggrin:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I don't know if this is supposed to be a compliment (it sounds like it is, to me) but this is the first time I read this about our accent :)

I'm picturing your society meetings .... discussion point - "going off feet & playing the ball on the ground - underneath your own posts as half time approaches" ........ the reply is indeed soothingly delivered ---------> "Qui se soucie, aussi longtemps que mon short ont encore une belle augmentation en eux, se détendre mon ami"

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... I can take poor Scottish teams, but I can't take Scotland teams who don't play with passion.
if you're a Scot and can't muster up some "passion" to play England ... at Murrayfield, then I suggest a doctors appointment, because there is something seriously wrong.

Mmmmm. I'm obviously being thick, but why a potential scrum?

Mais oui!
A well weilded French Accent can remove a pair of drawers at quinze paces!
I suppose it is a compliment in a way. I've noticed this for years, but the next time there's a dust-up and the miscreants get a talking to from Garces, Poite or Berdos in their best pigeon English with a heavy French accent - Allo Allo style, I reckon it definately calms things down. Watch it yourself and see what you think. I wonder what the French make of the Rosbiffs accent. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Can;tr remember the timing but it was first half, fairly well in. A scots player took out an English catcher in the air. It was on about White 10m line, not dangerous really,just a very very badly timed *cough* cuddle the player in the air. Immediate PK, no cards.

No cards? Just wondering what others felt? There wasn;t any real danger to be fair, it was nowhere near any goal lines. But... "very little happens at these levels accidentally" and the timing was SO poor he HAD to know what he was doing? Does this enter the realms of POSSIBLE cards for crass stupidity or (really) a deliberate act of illegal play?

cheers

didds
Yeah, remember it.... Not dangerous in the slightest, so PK was appropriate .... might've had a "be careful laddie" word, but that would be all for me.

Loïc

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
I wonder what the French make of the Rosbiffs accent. :biggrin:

Nothing, we just don't understand ^^
I just love how french players in HCup or Amlin cup, just nod even if i'm pretty sure they didn't get a single word :biggrin: Especially with welsh or irish refs :)

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
JG gave a FK for player on the throwing team not letting the ball go 5m. Admittedly a QT rather than a lineout, but grist to the mill!

At a lineout : if a player of either team takes the ball inside the 5m line then I give a FK. (I know some referees are of the view that you FK the non-throwing team, but give options for the same offence by the throwing team, but I don't see the logic of that)

At a QTI it might be different.
- if there is a player from each team competing for the ball then it's a FK for coming inside the 5m line
- if it is a red throw to a red player, with blue nowhere near, then a FK does feel wrong. That feels like cocked up throw, and options.

I don't see what the issue is here.

[LAWS]LAW 19.2 QUICK THROW IN
(h) At a quick throw-in, a player must not prevent the ball being thrown in 5 metres.
Sanction: Free Kick on 15-metre line[/LAWS]

[LAWS]19.10 OPTIONS AVAILABLE IN A LINEOUT
(h) Blocking the throw-in. A lineout player must not stand less than 5 metres from the
touchline. A lineout player must not prevent the ball being thrown in 5 metres.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line[/LAWS]

It doesn't matter who throws and stop stops it going 5m, its a FK against the team of the player that stopped it going 5m and there are no options available.

End of!