Scrum for Referee Obstruction After a Kick

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I know what the law says about it but today I refereed a game where a fullback made a clearance kick, and was running to put players onside. Almost immediately I turned to observe who was on/off and completely smashed him. I awarded a scrum to him at place of the contact.

Would others have played on?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Doesn't seem equitable to me.

He has kicked long.

Did the kick go out? If so I would have apologised and gone with line out. If not then I would have looked to have the ball where the ball landed as that's where play should have started. Or possibly just played on.

And as he's not carrying the ball technically you don't have to stop the game, but use common sense to see what happens next (i.e. a chasing winger may do what the FB was going to do, so play on).

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Robert, it was an up and under. There were a few guys potentially offside under 10m law and I changed my line of running in order to shepherd him back. I took out the kicker almost immediately and it prevented him putting others onside.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Robert, it was an up and under. There were a few guys potentially offside under 10m law and I changed my line of running in order to shepherd him back. I took out the kicker almost immediately and it prevented him putting others onside.

if they are offside under the 10m law the kicker (or a team mate) cannot play them onside surely?

didds

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Good option, well refereed

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes

Sounds fair then, they were definitely disadvantaged by it.