Scrum half feed

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Dave - I have know this guy since University days, he played for Rosslyn Park in his 20s and then Old Boys at level 7 well into his 30s.

He has dealt with my knees for years, sorted out the wife's too (after equine and skiing falls) and has quite a 'client list' including a number of Southampton, Portsmouth soccer players and a number of London Irish rugby players, as well as advising Simon Kemp.

I have total trust in his advice !

Andyp

Post Likes
Have the referees that don't like being asked by the captain about the feed ever taken the time to explain to the captain or players that player safety is a higher priority but that a non contestable feed will be pinged if seen. Having played front row and lock and gone through the effort and danger of a scrum it is a tad frustrating when the SH is allowed to pass the ball to the 8 and when frustrated certainly didn't make the game easier for the referee.

When I was playing and now as a coach I would be disappointed if the captain didn't respectfully ask the question and as a referee I would be disapppointed in myself if I didn't respond in respectful/professional manner.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thats the trouble, its generally not respectful and what would you expect the SH to say exactly?

What else would you expect of you players to ask the ref?
The FH to ask about offsides, the hooker to ask about not straights, the 2nd Row to ask about early lifting? The skipper to ask why wasnt it a yellow?

I couldnt be done with the constant chirping. If you want to spend the whole game chatting, then substitute yourself, or get 10mins in the bin and you can chat to whoever you want.

Andyp

Post Likes
I wouldn't expect anyone other than the captain to speak unless the referee has been completely blinkered and said he doesn't want anyone to say anything, but that referee shouldn't be surprised when his actions cause issues on the pitch, although they always are!! The vast majority of ref's listen even if they don't necessarily show it. Refereeing isn't just about following the letter of the law but management and single direction communication in management is a flaw. What would be acceptable or is it Captain - "sir somebody is gouging eyes!" - Ref "Who said you could address me? YC off you go."

Obviously this is only an opinion and shouldn't be taken as the absolute take of rugby today and as done by chopper :)

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I would personally prefer if at the next stoppage the captain asked for a moment for water to wash the eyes of his player who had his "eyes gouged"...then I would take it upon myself to look into the situation and/or warn very quickly.

but to hear the captain say, "sir, can you watch the eye gouging" would make my blood boil because obviously if I saw it - I would be doing something about it.

IMO you allow them, "sir can you watch the bum pinching" it turns into every little thing; feed, not straight, binding, etc.. I feel a true OPEN two way communication is not the answer.

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a match where the skipper came across at a pause and asked "Sir, can you watch?" Eyebrows raised, waiting for the particular thing I was supposed to watch. Pause. "Watch what?" smile "Just can you watch?" It actually made me chuckle.

It was done with a smile and sufficiently out of the earshot of anyone else so there was no question of authority being undermined. Later in the same game we had a not-straight throw at a line out. "Not straight there gents, blue what would you like" - blue captain "we'll take the Try please sir".

As a former prop I agree with a previous posting. There's nothing more infuriating than seeing this offence going unpenalised. It happens right under your nose and it negates a lot of hard work you might do in the scrum.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
During a game I have zero problem with a front row saying to me once about a scrum infringment especially if the captain is a back. If he says it again I say "not interested, captain only please" and a reminder to captain at next break in play that I only want to hear from him. Any more chat gets penalised from there on.

I think its a fair way of handling a situation and I think will yield better results than leading with a PK at first chat to me.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
I What would be acceptable or is it Captain - "sir somebody is gouging eyes!"

Thats a statement not a question.

If it was said to me, I would just say, who? and the player would probably say, I dont know! Well neither do I would be the response. If I see it I penalise it.

If he said can you watch anything, he is basically saying you are not watching the game or refereeing unfairly, then he is calling you a cheat YC ;)

Had a player tell me that penalising hands in the ruck was harsh!!! Marched 10m and a bollocking. But there again the same team, late tackled a player, didnt wrap, just used his shoulder, so YC and that Captain said "what not even a warning for the first?" I said its the first and last today, or the next may get a stronger sanction.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If the captain is a back I enquire if there is a designated pack leader at the briefing and inform him and the pack that communication from the forwards should come through him.

If he abuses this privilege then I will warn him that he is doing so and remind him that we can revert to communications through the captain if he prefers.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
personally I won't even allow that donal. allowing one FR to make a suggestion allows others to THINK it's okay and that they can do the same. I have been adhering to the finger to the lips approach and say, "through your captain please" right from the start and it's working out better - for me that is.

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
You going to play for Alton Vets as we discussed ?
Did you make that call to another memer of Alton Welsh ?
The world has been saved from my 10 minute hooking cameo! Boots remain in use for coaching and reffing only; Alton had very healthily numbers who wanted to play in the match and they've quite rightly prioritised those Vets still actively playing given the very competitive nature of the County side.

Russ W

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I don't think there's a US born TH that would ever think of doing that. they are bred somewhat "simple" over here. :Zip:

Pah! been there, dunnit. But then I learned "the trade" from a Welshman and a couple Tongans! :wink:

Russ
Reno Zephyr TH
NorCal ref

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The world has been saved from my 10 minute hooking cameo! Boots remain in use for coaching and reffing only; Alton had very healthily numbers who wanted to play in the match and they've quite rightly prioritised those Vets still actively playing given the very competitive nature of the County side.

Fancy running as a Society appointed TJ for me ?