Scrum put in not straight.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Agree with Jonesy, after two escalate to penalties.........too many penalties? :yellow: the little bugger.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
One not straight pinged in the game I watched yesterday. Pretty much every put in was clearly not straight. mind you both the Ref and AR totally ignored a blatant head butt that there were both not more than 5 metres from. In a 2/3 minute passage of play there was a head butt and two separate punches thrown by the same player. The ref finally acted on the third punch. It was a great shame because after that the game began to turn sour with a few dropped shoulders and the like.

The result was the ref blew a little early as he was losing control. A shame it spoiled a good game.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
One not straight pinged in the game I watched yesterday. Pretty much every put in was clearly not straight. mind you both the Ref and AR totally ignored a blatant head butt that there were both not more than 5 metres from. In a 2/3 minute passage of play there was a head butt and two separate punches thrown by the same player. The ref finally acted on the third punch. It was a great shame because after that the game began to turn sour with a few dropped shoulders and the like.

The result was the ref blew a little early as he was losing control. A shame it spoiled a good game.
I struggle with the concept of a "good game" which included regular crooked feeds, a head butt, a couple of punches, and a ref losing control :biggrin: (but I think I know what you mean).

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The introduction of the foul play came in (approx) the 74th minute. So had not been an issue 'til then. The Crooked feeds? Well they are par for the course at "elite" level. "who Cares?"

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
mind you both the Ref and AR totally ignored a blatant head butt that there were both not more than 5 metres from.

How do you know they saw it? Remember the dancing bear!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Of course it depends what you are looking for. In the test you are asked to count the passes. So your focus is on that. as a ref we SHOULD be looking for offences both technical and foul play etc .

So yes when it happens right in front of you certain foul play should not be missed. More so for the better referees. Their awareness should be better than us plebs. In my profession I am expected to be more observant than the normal driver. It goes with the territory. Things "normal" drivers miss generally should not be missed by a professional drive like me.

The dancing bear, whilst amusing, is a little bit of a smokescreen.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I penalised both sides in the game yesterday a few times for not straight, it is pretty easy to apply this law now.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Our presentation tonight.

Yes 9 = invite.

Some of the ball over the mark = straight.

Now we "suck it and see".

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
It was brilliant to see the new trial law and guidance to referees implemented in tonight's Scarlets v Leinster game.

The first not straight was FKd. The second was PKd and the third was PKd and a warning. We didn't get to a fourth not straight which would have been PK and :noyc:

These new laws make the game far more interesting and safer IMO. We hardly had any collapsed scrums. :clap:

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I watched the game Taff but I thought the ref was poor in policing the put in blatantly ignoring not straights so he didn't have to use the yellow card. Also thought he got an easy catch from a kick maul wher he said itm was a turn over and a couple of ripping the ball/slapping the ball out which he gave as knock ons. Other than that it was a good game, scrums not collapsing and even Jonathan Davies commentary was good!

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Reddan was terrible at scrum time and Cronin's attempt at hooking was terrible. it looked like Cronin would put his foot on the ground and Reddan would bounce the ball off his foot . I thought lacy missed two more not straights and the maul immediately after a kick.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I watched the game Taff but I thought the ref was poor in policing the put in blatantly ignoring not straights so he didn't have to use the yellow card.
There were one or 2 which looked pretty blatant (and either missed or deemed immaterial) but in fairness there were a few more which were "borderline". Some refs would have let them go, some would have blown. I was worried that refs wouldn't have the balls to escalate the FK offences, but there's no doubt in my mind that if the Leinster SH had fed it in crooked again, Mr Lacy would have pulled out another YC.

...Also thought he got an easy catch from a kick maul wher he said itm was a turn over and a couple of ripping the ball/slapping the ball out which he gave as knock ons. Other than that it was a good game, scrums not collapsing
Funnily enough I was thinking of starting a separate thread about that TO incident.

.... even Jonathan Davies commentary was good!
I got the impression Jiffy was enjoying himself. :biggrin:

Last edited: