Scrum put in not straight.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The ball was rarely put in straight. I disagree with your assessment of Lacey. He lack the bottle to sort it out.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The ball was rarely put in straight. I disagree with your assessment of Lacey. He lack the bottle to sort it out.
They were strait-ish and certainly a big improvement on what we've had before. The new escalated sanctions are a massive change for those elite Refs - it takes balls to be the first to implement them. As they become normal, I'm pretty sure it won't be long before we see a SH taking a 10 minute break for crooked feeding. :pepper:

Lacey did deal with at least 3 crooked feeds mind, and at least one of the "blatant" ones may not have been blatant to him, as he was on the other side of the scrum. Wasn't the Leinster SH tactically substituted? My guess is that the Leinster management thought that Lacey did have the bottle to :noyc: for another crooked feed. The SH was already on a warning, so changing the SHs "reset the clock".

If there were any collapsed scrums, they were pretty rare. Jiffys words on the commentatry was "It stayed up. It stayed up. A fresh start!"

Perhaps we should start a sweep to see which Ref gives the first YC for persistent crooked feeding. My money would be on Rolland or St Nigel. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
In the lead up to the welsh try , Lacey was pushed by a leinster player and fell over. I didn't see Lacey talk to anyone but I didn't like the way that he was forcefully pushed out of the way. I would have had a chat with the player and telling him if he did it again he would be going for a sit down.:knuppel2:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It was brilliant to see the new trial law and guidance to referees implemented in tonight's Scarlets v Leinster game.

The first not straight was FKd. The second was PKd and the third was PKd and a warning.

I watched until half time when I gacve up cos I was bored bu the kicking tennis.

I thought there was a glaring not straight after the initial FK ? Mind you I was bored so had lost a bit track of what was occurring.

didds

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Reddan was terrible at scrum time and Cronin's attempt at hooking was terrible. it looked like Cronin would put his foot on the ground and Reddan would bounce the ball off his foot . I thought lacy missed two more not straights and the maul immediately after a kick.

yup - concur with that. the n/s the ref pinged could just have easilt been foot up - the foot was well in advance of the ball coming in.

didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
In the lead up to the welsh try , Lacey was pushed by a leinster player and fell over. I didn't see Lacey talk to anyone but I didn't like the way that he was forcefully pushed out of the way. I would have had a chat with the player and telling him if he did it again he would be going for a sit down.:knuppel2:
Should this PUSH have been reviewed by TMO? ................... can anyone post a clip?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
the other game I saw last night was dragons v ulster... the scrums were just as big a mess as they ever were.

The dragon's TH attempt on "bind" was actually on the top of the shoulder. After "set" the ulster LH's bind whilst on the side was actually being used to pull the TH's shirt down and under. Lots of bent elbows and pulling down, and multiple resets through collapses and messy scrums with the occasional scrum FK/PK. In all a very disappointing effort as this was my first chance to see CBSY9 in action at the pro level.

didds

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
the other game I saw last night was dragons v ulster... the scrums were just as big a mess as they ever were.
... Lots of bent elbows and pulling down, and multiple resets through collapses and messy scrums with the occasional scrum FK/PK. In all a very disappointing effort as this was my first chance to see CBSY9 in action at the pro level.
Who was the referee for that game?

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Lacey did deal with at least 3 crooked feeds mind, and at least one of the "blatant" ones may not have been blatant to him, as he was on the other side of the scrum.

I don't understand why that should matter. When I stood on the other side of the scrum last season, it was specifically so as to be able to crouch and check for straight-ish as much as for the safe binding.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I don't understand why that should matter. When I stood on the other side of the scrum last season, it was specifically so as to be able to crouch and check for straight-ish as much as for the safe binding.
Something similar happened in my match today. When the referee went to the far side, the scrum half fed into the second row presumably on the basis that a standing referee could not see that. I learned afterwards that they had been complaining about the binding on that side, so it might have been a ploy.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Should this PUSH have been reviewed by TMO? ................... can anyone post a clip?
But with a view to sanctioning what offence? I doubt we'd want elite refs bleating to the TMO when they feel a bit put out on a personal level. The commentariat would crucify the ref.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
But with a view to sanctioning what offence? I doubt we'd want elite refs bleating to the TMO when they feel a bit put out on a personal level. The commentariat would crucify the ref.

Oh I don't know, maybe the same one that Neil Back was collared with when he shoved Steve Lander? But just to be clear, are you saying that a disgruntled player who whacks a referee from behind should escape sanction, because the referee can't be sure it wasn't deliberate?

Buzz

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
In my game today, I had to reset the scrum because the ball went straight through the tunnel. Th SH put it in straight, neither hooker hooked, and it went straight through! A rarity in past seasons. In the whole game I had one crooked feed, 2 early push, 1 early engage, and 1 penalty for collapsing.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Has to escalate to my first penalty for feeding today. 9 just wouldn't listen! Binned him for mouthing off in the end

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Two FKs each yesterday for feeding. Never had to escalate to PKs.
Had a few balls that just sat in the tunnel with neither side hooking!!,

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
One early push, one collapsing One reset when both sides just got it wrong. I forgot the "bind" command going straight to "set" once. Quite happy.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Oh I don't know, maybe the same one that Neil Back was collared with when he shoved Steve Lander? But just to be clear, are you saying that a disgruntled player who whacks a referee from behind should escape sanction, because the referee can't be sure it wasn't deliberate?
let's say it was deliberate, and the player was shoving a poorly-positioned ref out of the way so he can actually play the game. What is the offence? Best I can find is failing to respect the referee - but it's a bit weak.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
let's say it was deliberate, and the player was shoving a poorly-positioned ref out of the way so he can actually play the game. What is the offence? Best I can find is failing to respect the referee - but it's a bit weak.
Ther lawbook will naturally concentrate on players behavious towards other players (not the Referee) but surely violently and deliberately pushing the Referee would come under Foul Play - although you could say it was physical Referee abuse. What law did Mr Barnes rely on when he :norc: a player for calling him a cheat?

Definitions Foul play is anything a player does within the playing enclosure that is against the letter and spirit of the Laws of the Game. It includes obstruction, unfair play, repeated infringements, dangerous play and misconduct which is prejudicial to the Game.

10.4 (s) All players must respect the authority of the referee. They must not dispute the referee’s decisions. They must stop playing at once when the referee blows the whistle except at a kick-off or at a penalty kick following admonishment, temporary suspension, or send-off.
Sanction: Penalty kick

Last edited:

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
First day of CBSY9 in the Cayman Islands on Saturday. 10s tournament designed to ease players back into the season, but with a statement that CBSY9 plus straight put-ins would be strictly enforced so that players get used to it.

We generally adopted one FK before escalating to PK as seen in Bledisloe tests 1 and 2. Very effective and some enjoyable scrummaging as a consequence. Biggest issue was actually getting SSS before Yes 9 as all players still want to "wrestle" at that stage and it was very hard to identify individual (or team) culprits.

One problem I did find is that I had to tie myself positionally to places where I could see the straight feed. Last season, at the behest of IRB coaches, I worked hard at getting 3/4 metres away and onto the 45 degree angle after calling the set. This season, that would prevent me from calling the not straight. I am wondering whether we should shift the generally adopted AR protocol which sees ARs back 5 on both attacking and defensive sides of the scrum so as to adopt a more "lineout-like" protocol. AR on the open side of the scrum would go to defensive side, marking 5. AR on the blind side (however wide) would go opposite tunnel and assist Ref with not straight, foot up etc. Ref would go to the 45 degree angle, 3/4 metres from scrum. If blind side is over 15 metres, Ref could move back towards centre of tunnel. Thoughts?

Re Red Card for pushing ref, I've given one. A player from the attacking side rounded the last defender on the wing at the corner flag and then started (in goal) making his way towards the posts. I had been on the 15 metre line, level with the goal line as he crossed it, so I now began back-pedalling fast as he came towards me. A player from the defending team, in seeking to prevent the ball-carrier getting closer to the posts approached me from directly behind, shoved me hard and told me to get out of the f##king way. I awarded the try and then carded him. After the match, I explained that, had I felt that my presence had truly blocked a defender from preventing the ball carrier closing with the posts, I would likely have adopted an "equitable" approach and asked the kicking team to kick the goal from in line with where they would have put the ball down unchallenged.