Scrum put in not straight.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
asked the kicking team to kick the goal from in line with where they would have put the ball down unchallenged.

under which law? what if they'd said "no" ? Sounds like you'd be painting yourself in a corner...

didds

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
Fully agreed it is not in law but even as a lawyer I am (just occasionally) tempted to believe there are scenarios which are not fully covered by the laws. In open play, if I clearly obstructed a defender from making a critical tackle through my own poor positioning I would generally award a scrum to the attacking team (I've done this in an international and not been reprimanded - except for the poor positioning of course!). I drew a parrallel. Fully agree not ideal and I don't like making it up!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
there are plenty of scenarios that are not covered by law... but if you make a law up and are challenged on it you have shot your self in the foot - at best you look a mug and at worst you've lost all credibility.

didds

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
If the law fails to cover a scenario and that scenario arises, I'm not sure I see how you cannot at least try to apply equitable principles / good management. I would imagine one of the (many and various!) marks of a good referee is his ability to apply equitable principles / manage the situation in such a way (and with such a tone / management style etc.) as to avoid looking like a mug or losing credibility. I'm sure wome would disagree, and I have no problem with that. Just my way of handling it!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
there are plenty of scenarios that are not covered by law... but if you make a law up and are challenged on it you have shot your self in the foot - at best you look a mug and at worst you've lost all credibility.

didds

If the law fails to cover a scenario and that scenario arises, I'm not sure I see how you cannot at least try to apply equitable principles / good management. I would imagine one of the (many and various!) marks of a good referee is his ability to apply equitable principles / manage the situation in such a way (and with such a tone / management style etc.) as to avoid looking like a mug or losing credibility. I'm sure wome would disagree, and I have no problem with that. Just my way of handling it!
If a situation is not covered by law, the referee still has to make a decision. This also happens with ambiguous law and disputed interpretations. Not ideal but on the pitch I see no alternative.

(Dave - i assume "wome" is a typo for "some", not "women" :biggrin:)