[Tackle] Second tackle offence by a player whilst playing advantage

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Absolutely! Older teens have a lot of energy, are as fast as adults and there's often a lot of testosterone floating around developing brains that can make management harder.

U16's being the worst age group has been my observation. The opinions are well and truly coming to the fore (and parents are still showing that level of committed opinion from the sidelines) with few players standing out as having developed sufficient leadership skills. The rugby is messy and there is much less observeable structure to phases of play which makes it even more of a challenge to ref when you have to do it all yourself and can place no reliance on the TJ's for anything else other than the very basics. It's a rarity to see a game that does not end up being dominated by the whistle.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
U16's being the worst age group has been my observation. The opinions are well and truly coming to the fore (and parents are still showing that level of committed opinion from the sidelines) with few players standing out as having developed sufficient leadership skills. The rugby is messy and there is much less observeable structure to phases of play which makes it even more of a challenge to ref when you have to do it all yourself and can place no reliance on the TJ's for anything else other than the very basics. It's a rarity to see a game that does not end up being dominated by the whistle.

Where you at my game yesterday!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It was at U16s where a fellow club AG club coach was headbutted by an oppo coach after some seriously silly shenanigans on the pitchby the players... broken nose, blood everywhere etc...

didds

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Fish as a general rule at the levels we ref at you should not plan to play advantage from foul play. The exception would be something like a high tackle on a centre just as he passes to the winger who can simply run in the score. Youth games as said above have their challenges and often require a tighter rein. Also do not think you are helping a game by keeping your cards in your pocket if they are warranted. I know I tend to do this and a couple of times it has not helped the game later on.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I agree with what has been said before. As an ex-hooker I was reluctant to card players for “a wee bit of shenanigans” as I had been involved in so much in my time. However, I was advised by an assessor a number of years ago to be firm early and if necessary issue a YC or two if the game starts to become heated. I must agree that this was good advice and now if I find I am doing too much talking it probably means that a card is overdue.