Six Nations 2020

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was a tad perturbed after the third French score when after clear foul play by England on the try scorer that caused the kerfuffle, NO just brushed it off.

You stop the late challenges, you don't get flare-ups.

What sanction for the player? Arm to the head!?

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
England were poor however can't believe the TMO didn't look at the scoring pass for the first French try which looked a mile forward.
The second one, Nigel clearly believed it was a French knock on and asked the TMO at least twice if he was sure. Again for me it was a clear knock on.

Don't think there was anything wrong with the 1st French Try. The 2nd one I did feel that there was a knock-on, and I was saying to my Mrs that there was indeed one. But yesterday I watched the highlights again and it actually comes of white's arm, then off his head and goes backwards. Then blue run on and score. I was certain at the time the it came off blue hand, but it didn't.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
The second try, they looked quite carefully at the contact, and the TMO was quite clear it had not come off a French arm, but was off Mr Lawes arm, then off his head and then gathered by the other French player. That it came off CL was lucky for France as if it had not, then the French player who caught the ball would have been offside as in front of his team member who last played the ball. I was a little surprised that the concentration was on ? KO by France and not about offside at all.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
until there is a knock on, there can be no offside. so its the KO that has to be ascertained first.

there was no KO. so there was no consideration of offside

???

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought it was a perfect TMO process

1 quite right to play on (altho NO nearly blew)
2 correct amount of time reviewing it.
3 correct decision

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
until there is a knock on, there can be no offside. so its the KO that has to be ascertained first.

there was no KO. so there was no consideration of offside

???

didds

I don't think what you wrote is what you meant. You can still be offside even if a knock on hasn't taken place.

[LAWS]OFFSIDE AND ONSIDE IN OPEN PLAY
1. A player is offside in open play if that player is in front of a team-mate who is carrying the
ball or who last played it. An offside player must not interfere with play.[/LAWS]

If he touches the ball but it isn't a knock on (goes backwards, then bounces forwards maybe), anyone in front of him playing the ball would be offside.

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
It's often called a "10-point try", but it only seems to pop up once every couple of years. Here's an international example, ARG-RSA:
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/watch-mythical-ten-point-try/

And one from this board:
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?16307-The-10-point-Try

Thanks, Rich - very interesting (not just because SA were playing in red, which must be a rarity too!).

My observation is that the Coetzee challenge in your video was more innocuous than the England incident on Sunday. Coetzee was at least close enough to tackle a standing player, with a realistic (albeit very remote) chance of forcing a dropped ball or preventing grounding. The short in-goals are at least partly to blame for the flashpoint, as they meant the challenge carried the scoring Argentine into the advertising boards.

In contrast, Luke Cowan-Dickie performs a knee slide into a player already on the ground in the act of scoring. Looks much worse than Coetzee, and surprised it didn't attract sanction.

Last edited:

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I don't think what you wrote is what you meant. You can still be offside even if a knock on hasn't taken place.

1. A player is offside in open play if that player is in front of a team-mate who is carrying the
ball or who last played it. An offside player must not interfere with play.[/LAWS]

If he touches the ball but it isn't a knock on (goes backwards, then bounces forwards maybe), anyone in front of him playing the ball would be offside.

Cart before the horse. You have to determine who's played the ball before potential offside comes into consideration.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Cart before the horse. You have to determine who's played the ball before potential offside comes into consideration.

I was responding to the statement "without a knock on there cannot be an offside". Which is incorrect, although I don't think that's what didds meant in full.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

gotcha. yes indeed. I was directly discussing the try in question etc - but even then the player could have inadvertently headed it (possibly etc)

didds