Society Training Officer

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Does anyone on here do this job?

I am thinking of putting my name forward for election next season.

Can you give me an outline of what's expected and/or what you do.

I know what ours does, but am wondering what other Societies do.

Thanks

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Have you tried a dictionary?

The first two words in the title should assist.
:bday: :wink: :D

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Have you tried a dictionary?

The first two words in the title should assist.
:bday: :wink: :D

It's no wonder we sent you to the other side of the world :norc:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
My family and I were in the pub having a meal with my father and my daughter proudly exclaimed to her Granddad how we have a very big dictionary.

My father retorted that he would bet it wasn't as big as the one in his house, and upon questioning of how big it was and the subsequent hands display my daughter turned to me and asked why ours wasn't that big.

I replied that the Australian's haven't discovered that many words yet.

My poor father nearly chocked on his food.:p :Zip:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Phil

KML1 is Hampshire's TDM (Manager of course, well he is a Panel Referee after all !) so he does the job.

He sits on our Exec Committee and Grading Committee and works with our Regional Referee Manager ClareD, our ELRA Trainer DaveH and our CrefDevManager Mike P and out Development Squad Manager Doug N. He also liaises with his Federation Soceities opposite numbers.

With RFU he has access to all the DVD training modules, and RFU dept material, plus invites outside speakers to our monthly training meetings.

From our Constitution :

TDO/TDM

• Arrange innovative training programmes and activities
• Through effective training continue to improve match officials’ performance at all levels.
• Respond to changes in the training of match officials introduced by the RFU Referee Department.
• Produce an annual training plan for the season to include the Monthly Meeting programme.
• Identify Society Trainers
• Monitor the progress of new referees with respect to the ELRA.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Mind you, in some Societies... ahem... it's a case of "right, now to find a guest speaker each month." :eek:

While two or maybe three a season are good (maybe at the start and around Xmas, etc) and enhance training meetings/encourage attendance, the better training meetings are ones where the needs of the members are ascertained and then developed around that.

Some are far better at it than others...

(we had Luke Pearce at our last one, Dave Hilton before that...) you get my drift.. :biggrin:

Good speakers, but there needs to be a training element.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Phil, I'ev thought about putting myself forward, but decided not to for two good reasons:
1) we've already got a very good one;
2) the role seems to include delivering ELRA courses as required (at least in Berkshire)

That last one would be a killer for me - several 2-day courses in addition to refereeing, committee meetings etc, plus the core job of delivering training at Society meetings, meant it was too big a job for me to consider, bearing in mind it is being done very effectively already.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Get youreslf a slogan T-shirt. Perhaps:

"Couldn't play it, couldn't ref it, now I'm teaching it"

:D

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
1) we've already got a very good one;
2) the role seems to include delivering ELRA courses as required (at least in Berkshire)

JF has been terrific over the years, but I am sure Simon B and Committee would be delighted to hear of your interest, assistance for JF (you need to learn the ropes first) and all Society's should have a succession policy in place.

JF took on Berks ELRA job when it came up as he had just retired from work. KML1 does not do our ELRAs or CRefDEvManager jobs, and many other Soceities have the roles split between people.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
And hopefully training officers that know of RRF will point their members here as a form of training and improving their game.