Sorry to be a party pooper

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
"A player wears a jersey, shorts and underwear, socks and boots" (Law 4 Definitions) is often taken to imply that these items must be worn ... as opposed to "Additional Items of Clothing" (4.1) which "may" be worn.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
"A player wears a jersey, shorts and underwear, socks and boots" (Law 4 Definitions) is often taken to imply that these items must be worn ... as opposed to "Additional Items of Clothing" (4.1) which "may" be worn.

Sorry ladies, the law requires that I check to ensure you are all wearing underwear.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Pick your battles.
Clear, obvious and expected.

To penalise the shirtless player 'in that situation' is none of the above, and merely highlights you as a pedantic jobsworth who is only interested in demonstrating his knowledge of the law; rather than facilitating a game of rugby.

Spot on.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
View attachment 3066

F.O Flight, making his international refereeing debut, shocks the rugby world by binning All Blacks skipper Richie McCaw at the coin toss for not having his shirt tucked in his shorts.

"This isn't soccer", he was heard to say,

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Do we have to check all the players are wearing underwear?

Camquin

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I delegate that to the Assessor

cf Womble/scores

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

Back in my playing days, I was tackled a few metre short of the line and my boot came off. The ball was recycled through two phases and came back to me on the wing, where I scored - with only one boot on. I contend that any referee disallowing that score and instead penalising me for being improperly dressed would rightly be spoken to firmly by his Society, and demoted until he could differentiate the irrationally picky from the essence of a refereeing decision. By the way, Moses was the ref on the day, and he awarded the try without mention of my lack of sandal!

Mat 04

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It is very material or could have been in so far as the defenders cannot tell if the player is friend or foe. A defender looking to catch the ball will be looking for opposition colours approaching not some shirtless streaker.

I agree. Would anybody be calling it pedantic if the topless player had an abrasion on his chest? A small cut? An open wound perhaps? It is a slippery slope and it is far better and safer to ensure that players are deterred from taking part when not properly attired.

I can see that this player hasn't come into contact with any players while topless but I would disallow the try nonetheless. In this case I would have explained why I came to that decision and allowed them to restart with the original penalty.

Three people are at fault in this video. One player for not putting his jersey back on, another for restarting play in view of that and the referee for allowing the try.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For those who disallow the try, what's the restart?