South Africa coach hints at refereeing 'conspiracy'

SimplySimon

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/8845528.stm

Can you imagine a coach in the "Aviva" Premiership coming out with comments like this about referee's? Does Peter De Villers not realise that he is in an influential position whereby people actually listen to what he has to say?:norc:

Should the IRB take action against him for bringing the game into disrepute?:clap:

Thoughts please....

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
To be fair they only listen to what he says so they can laugh at him.

paul mc

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
De Villers loose cannon approach seems to be the way he is coaching SA to play.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Bwaaaaa haaaa haaaa! Hooo hoo ho ho ho!

No, stop it please, my ribs are hurting!!

ha ha ha ha....

What a plonker Rodney!

"Its them voices in me 'ead what tells me to say it Guv'nor" ...

sad.

didds

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Peter de V has very poor judgement, an element of paranoia, and a self-demonstrable lack of knowledge about the elite game.

Even if he thinks it in private, a man in his position does not make a public statement that the media can twist into 'hints' of conspiracy.

Yes there may well be a different interpretation about tackle and contact situations, but for years we have all adapted to that !

Last edited:

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I think the players are conspiring to cheat.

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Possibly the funniest thing Ive read for a while!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The guy is a complete knob.

The overwhelming majority of South African supporters on the forums I inhabit (even the demonstrably pro-Bokke keo.co.za) think he is a disgrace and an embarrassment to Springbok rugby.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I don't see how these two quotes fit together? :confused:

Speaking on TV in Australia De Villiers said, "'I've got my own observations about the last two Tests, and I can't say it in public.
"But we do have a World Cup in New Zealand next year, and maybe it was the right thing for them to win the games so they can attract more people to the games next year."

"In no manner did I ever suggest that the All Blacks were being favoured – by match officials or anyone else – because their country was hosting the Rugby World Cup next year," De Villiers said in an SA Rugby statement.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
backpedal.jpg

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I see that the Fox broadcaster is being required to apologise for calling PdV a clown, a puppet and soemone who surely doesn't coach the team. Perhaps his apology might be couched in much the same terms as PdV's: I never intended to suggest that PdV was anything other than a highly effective and respected coach. The point I was trying to make was that senior players make their own decisions on the pitch at times of crisis. I regret that my remarks were capable of misinterpretation, and apologise to anyonbe who may have found them offensive.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I see that the Fox broadcaster is being required to apologise for calling PdV a clown, a puppet and soemone who surely doesn't coach the team. Perhaps his apology might be couched in much the same terms as PdV's: I never intended to suggest that PdV was anything other than a highly effective and respected coach. The point I was trying to make was that senior players make their own decisions on the pitch at times of crisis. I regret that my remarks were capable of misinterpretation, and apologise to anyonbe who may have found them offensive.

..................and I only called him a clown because of his size 16 feet!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
It is a well-known technique: "There is no truth in the rumour that X is an alcoholic".

Tryer

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
How did you know my nickname was "X"??? Have we met???:)

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
I can't wait to hear his reaction after this. 2 yellow cards so far for the South Africans.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Haven't seen it yet, but who was the referee today?

George Clancy, but both the YC came from AR Keith Brown's recommendation and both were for lifting tackles beyond horizonal.

Now there goes a man who knows how to follow the Dangerous Tackles memo! :clap:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
George Clancy, but both the YC came from AR Keith Brown's recommendation and both were for lifting tackles beyond horizonal.
So no doubt in PdVs eyes at least, the conspiracy continues. :sad:

Last edited:

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Clancy needs to stand in the right position to spot infringements he missed a few from both teams this evening. The two tackles were fair cards, no matter who you listen to. The Springbok YC was a professional and intentional offense and certainly warranted 10 in the bin. Pocock should have gone to the bin with about 5 minutes to go for repeated infringements.

Clancy had a great game today. It was really his initiation to whether he's ready for the big stage come September next year, and I think he is. Fantastic stuff.

On another note to this topic to be exact. I think McCaw gets away with murder at the breakdown, and everyone knows it even NZ journalists. But who on earth is going to YC a NZ skipper. Refs are afraid of Paddy O'Brien after the Dickinson bollocking I assure you that. Looking forward to O'Brien being "let go".Hoping it occurs smack bang after RWC