Standing in touch KO

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Maybe we discussed this before, but..

Player standing in touch, before the ball crosses the plane, knocks the ball forward back into play. Is in KO or in touch?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
if the ball is knocked by a player in touch - it isn't in touch.

cue 14 week debate about the meanings of the in-touch laws.

again

:)

didds

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Without law book in front of me....I'm certain its KO...somewhere in law 19 allows standing in touch to 'knock' ball before it crosses plane.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Maybe we discussed this before, but..

Player standing in touch, before the ball crosses the plane, knocks the ball forward back into play. Is in KO or in touch?

He is allowed to knock or kick the ball.
He can kick the ball in any direction and it is play on (if the ball stays in the field of play of course).
If he knocks the ball so that it stays in the field of play and does not initially go towards the oppositions DBL, then it is play on. If, from his hand, it travels towards the opposition DBL, it is a knock forward, play advantage, if no advantage accrues then scrum in line with where he knocked forward and 5m in.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
In law it is a KO but in the world I inhabit it will be in touch as the TJ on that side will not know Law 19 in sufficient depth (who does?) to appreciate the distinction:chin: and I will likely be nowhere near it as it "nearly" crosses the touchlne.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
LLP - then improve your speed and positioning. No excuses. If you cannot be in the right place at the right time then it's your problem!!!

:biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
LLP - then improve your speed and positioning. No excuses. If you cannot be in the right place at the right time then it's your problem!!!

I'll be so well up with play I'll be stood next to the kicker! I will then (in a sigle bound) sprint laterally to look down the touchline as it is knocked back into the FoP.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
He is allowed to knock or kick the ball. ... If he knocks the ball so that it stays in the field of play and does not initially go towards the oppositions DBL, then it is play on. If, from his hand, it travels towards the opposition DBL, it is a knock forward, play advantage, if no advantage accrues then scrum in line with where he knocked forward and 5m in.
Exactly. If he can knock it backwards and it's play on, then by the same logic it's a knock on if he knocks it forwards.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

There you go Lee. That's a qualified Hants assessor telling you to stand on the intersection of the touchline and the 10m line when blowing your whistle for the kick-off. Given that even Usain Bolt finds speed to be finite, positioning is everything.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
if the TJ puts his flag up it's touch
if he doesn't it's a knock on.

I am not going to trot over to him for a discussion about the plane of the touchline ...

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If you keep doing this I will have to move you to the French Language Forum!!

Seeing as how I got told off for using English in there!

I can talk merde in any number of lanuages!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
if the TJ puts his flag up it's touch
if he doesn't it's a knock on.

I am not going to trot over to him for a discussion about the plane of the touchline ...
If the player is standing on the touchline and reaches into the field of play, I would expect you to spot that in most cases and over-rule a TJ who got it wrong.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Given that even Usain Bolt finds speed to be finite, positioning is everything.

Quite - be in the right place at the right time.

How you do that is up to you.. no one will notice if you are, but will always notice when you are not. You do know that life isn't fair, don't you? :smile: