Stepping up a level - top tips?

Dan Cottrell

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I am just about to do (weather/assessor availability all going to plan) my first ever level 2 game.

I have been refereeing school games and club U15s and below games for nearly 20 years now. But this is a step up.

I spend my life writing about getting into the right mindset, concentrating on what you can control, focusing on the moment, letting mistakes go...and let's see if I can do that in practice!

But I am interested to know what you guys do NOW, that you might have wished you had done when you first started.

My MO for this game is:
Arrive in good time
Meet captains/coaches informally and agree on meeting time
Meet the teams to do: Studs, brief brief, any questions
Toss of the coin
Referee the game
Ask for feedback from assessor
Go home
Kick the cat

Any other tips?

(I have got some other questions to ask later too!)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Talk informally to the teams after the game.
Make notes afterwards about how things went.
Take cat to vets.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Be firm early doors. keep a firm grip on "chat". Be careful with advantage from foul play, blow early to keep a lid on any nonsense. If the game is being played in a good spirit and you are "comfortable", you can always "open up" a little bit.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Write your PM brief down. Go through it and make sure you've covered everything and it is, indeed, brief.

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
You missed have a beer after match!

My advice is relax and in my best Roy Walker voice 'say what you see' (at least in your mind!)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I am just about to do (weather/assessor availability all going to plan) my first ever level 2 game.
Excellent It will be a fascinating (and rather daunting) experience.

Toss of the coin

Where and when will you do this? My experience of low-to-medium level teams is that pre-game, they want to be out on the pitch doing last-minute practice drills - backs running moves and forwards practising lineouts. The teams are at different ends of the pitch. One may wish to go into the changing room five minutes before; the other may want to stay out. Your options are to try to marshall the captains to a single point well before KO so you can do the toss; or to leave enough time pre KO to allow for a toss immediately before KO. Both have difficulties involved - if you marshall them, you disturb their practice session; if you do it immediately before KO, they may be at the wrong ends and the side in the changing room may not get out in time, meaning a slight KO delay.

Use the drills they do at lineout to spot potential issues likely to arise in the game: are the supporters trained to move in front of the jumper to form an obstruction? Does the jumper lever himself up on an opponent? Do they close the gaps while line-dancing?

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I was quite astounded by your progress from U15 games to go straight into RFU Championship games.

Then I suddenly noted the Ospreys affiliation - and the world stopped wobbling.

Still - it will be a fun step up, enjoy it.

Have a good nutritious yet light protein based meal before setting off

Arrive in good time - yes - ideally an hour before Kick Off
Meet captains/coaches informally and agree on meeting time - then STICK to it
Dixie is spot on - look at their training drills, spot any potential issues, and look out for them in the game. It's normally good practice to pick them up pre-game, too much like coaching.

Meet the teams to do: Studs, brief brief, any questions
Toss of the coin - decide if just before KO or earlier by talking to the teams. Grass roots seem to prefer just before KO
Referee the game The easy bit - maybe have a half a banana before kick off and the second half at half time. Stay hydrated.
Ask for feedback from assessor - You won't need to ask, and courtesy normally dictates he has a drink waiting for you - he will normally ask you what you want as he shakes your hand after the game, following your triumphant trip through the tunnel.
Go home after speaking the players as well, and having something to eat, and applauding the effort of the MOM and DOD awards. Be sociable and available. Chatting to props is always good.
Kick the cat - then use sticking plaster on the 8 long parallel scratches you get in return

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Ask for feedback from assessor - You won't need to ask, and courtesy normally dictates he has a drink waiting for you - he will normally ask you what you want as he shakes your hand after the game, following your triumphant trip through the tunnel
I always agree before the match how/where we will meet up afterwards (though I do shake his hand and collect my listening kit as he emerges from the tunnel).
However I have never got his drink for him. I would find that tricky since referees do not pay for their drinks but I usually pay for mine.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
However I have never got his drink for him. I would find that tricky since referees do not pay for their drinks but I usually pay for mine.

What I wrote was:

courtesy normally dictates he has a drink waiting for you

I said nothing about you buying it for him. In clubs where the ref drinks for free you should be able to let the bar staff know it's for him, and just pay for your own.

Though personally I generally do buy him one.

Honest.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
.... I have been refereeing school games and club U15s and below games for nearly 20 years now. But this is a step up.
If you've been reffing for 20yrs already, my guess is that it won't be as much of a step up as you think. You're hardly inexperienced are you?

In some ways a Level 2 game may be easier. During my first Level 2 game (a college local derby) I was pleasantly surprised how much the teams listened. I was expecting loads of dissent, but it just didn't happen. In fact, they accepted decisions without complaint.

Don't forget that the U19 variations no longer apply. It may be difficult to break the habit of 20yrs. You almost certainly won't get thrown into a high pressure game; my guess is it will be two 2nds teams.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
A lot of good procedural advice.

Find a way to get in to whatever mental 'zone' you need to be in. And relax and enjoy it.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Just enjoy it, it will go past in a blur.

Don't dwell on any issues too long, learn from them, adapt for game 2.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
have a GREAT game Dan :)

didds

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you've been reffing for 20yrs already, my guess is that it won't be as much of a step up as you think. You're hardly inexperienced are you?
Good point well made

In some ways a Level 2 game may be easier. During my first Level 2 game (a college local derby) I was pleasantly surprised how much the teams listened. I was expecting loads of dissent, but it just didn't happen. In fact, they accepted decisions without complaint.
Ah yes, but you cut your teeth on Welsh kids with Attitude (and parents!); Dan cut his at a very polite private school in Surrey, where the parents applauded as an exercise character building the PK's he gave against their sons . Bit of a difference.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Though personally I generally do buy him one.

Honest.

I can confirm, Hants assessors do "get um in" :wink: Well mine did not sure if she paid for it, but I was most greatful :drool:

Dan Cottrell

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Thanks for the tips and thoughts.

Lots of things to work on...though it was generally fine.

The key one was positioning at the breakdown. I must say I am a little confused at the moment because I have been given slightly conflicting pieces of advice. However, my assessor was extremely helpful and supportive...wish I had refereed today as well.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The key one was positioning at the breakdown. I must say I am a little confused at the moment because I have been given slightly conflicting pieces of advice. However, my assessor was extremely helpful and supportive...wish I had refereed today as well.
If you describe the conflcts.I'm sure we can confuse you further. :smile:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The key one was positioning at the breakdown. I must say I am a little confused at the moment because I have been given slightly conflicting pieces of advice.
Your work with the Ospreys may cause you to be thinking in terms of elite game positioning, which is totally different because of the ability to rely on the ARs.

Dan Cottrell

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Flow of play left to right (attacking)

Tackle contest

I arrive from the left, behind the play and look in at the contest - shout "release", and then step...

Well, here is a picture to help...Slide1.jpg

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Don't shout "release" unless it is necessary, otherwise it becomes white noise. If you do shout it, add colour and number.

Positioning will depend on where other players are. You probably need to have your back to the goal line, not in the way if incoming players, not too close to the breakdown.

You are looking for: tackler release and get to feet; tackled player play ball legally; third man in to stay on his feet.