Straight up thuggery

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Caught this over at RD. What could possibly warrant this thuggery?! Looks like he might get some jail time. I know that if this happened on a team I played for, the offender would have a tough time making it off the pitch.

https://streamable.com/qcnav

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Caught this over at RD. What could possibly warrant this thuggery?! Looks like he might get some jail time. I know that if this happened on a team I played for, the offender would have a tough time making it off the pitch.

The two involved were the last two players up from last tackle. Something else must have occurred.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I see nothing (literally, black screen, no video plays)

If you saw it at Rugby Dump, perhaps you could post a link to their video?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Old, old news - at least in America.

It's even worse than it looks because the perpetrator wasn't a registered player. Over here, that's a program killer.

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
http://www.rugbydump.com/2017/11/60...ck-during-college-rugby-match-leads-to-arrest

Something rotten took place before kick

Moral of story Never let your guard down.

That's the moral of the story???

There was some minor pushing as both of the players got up from the tackle. Then at the next stoppage of play the a few second later the player in white bends down to tie is shoe, and the player in black walks over to him and kicks him in the face.

Moral of the story is don't act like a thug.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
What could possibly warrant this thuggery?!

that's a good question. I'm no shrink, but people normally don't act in an irrational manner (unless drugged in some way or under some extreme duress). I wonder what did happen in the lead up?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
What happened before is neither here nor there. Yes, it would seem that something did happen to provoke a resonce but discussion of that can be left to the courts. NOTHING warrants that sort of behaviour on a rugby pitch.

For a referee to say "Moral of story Never let your guard down." is worrying to read.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At about 28 seconds on the left edge of the screen., the two players (Black 12 and White 8) are in contact with each other and something happens. Black 12 has said..."he was 'not sorry' for his actions as he was acting in 'self-defence".

Maybe he was threatened in some way?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Maybe he had been, but he was not being threatened by a player yards away doing up his boots.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was amazed how the white player's team mates reacted!

TBH if I were refereeing and I'd seen that, I'd have looked the other way and missed any sort of retaliation.

As for it being self defence - bollocks. He calmly walked over to a guy who was not even aware he was there and assaulted him.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well - and this is NOT justifying anything! - MAYBE the white player had said something like next time we are in a tackle I'm going to break your neck. Or summat. So it was an attempt to take the threat out before the opportunity arose to manifest the threat.

Its all very odd at the very least.

I see the Uni has sacked the coaching staff of the kicker's team. Which may be somewhat extreme, depending on the history involved... and I also note the player wasn't even studying at that university any longer.

didds

didds

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The coaches were sacked because they were playing an unregistered player (which invalidates their insurance).

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At about 28 seconds on the left edge of the screen., the two players (Black 12 and White 8) are in contact with each other and something happens. Black 12 has said..."he was 'not sorry' for his actions as he was acting in 'self-defence".

Maybe he was threatened in some way?

or maybe the N word had been used?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I was amazed how the white player's team mates reacted!

TBH if I were refereeing and I'd seen that, I'd have looked the other way and missed any sort of retaliation.

TBH, there is not a damn thing you can do even if you are watching.

TBH, the only thing a ref should do is call 911, abandon match, and start writing. and talk to police.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
That's the moral of the story???

There was some minor pushing as both of the players got up from the tackle. Then at the next stoppage of play the a few second later the player in white bends down to tie is shoe, and the player in black walks over to him and kicks him in the face.

Moral of the story is don't act like a thug.

For a referee to say "Moral of story Never let your guard down." is worrying to read.

What do you think the kickee learned from this?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The person who was kicked had to have facial reconstruction surgery involving a plate and pins in his face.
The matter is now being dealt with by the Police.