Staff member
Post Likes
NKW - I am not interested.

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm late to this thread and ignoring all the off topic stuff.

Back to the video. WT absolute F! Unprovoked assault on a defenceless player, blimey. I don't condone retaliation but White were incredibly restrained.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Trial date is Dec 14, however there have been 2 recent settlement meetings, Case log indicates.

Victim blaming much?

Occam's razor: some people are just assholes.

Occam razor may have two assholes on this story.

From rugby dump comments (could be fake news), but I'm just saying from rugby dump comments.

Tuber46November 30, 2017 1:55 pm

“Blatant Thuggery” What a joke. This article is extremely biased to one point of view. Those of us standing on the field that day know that Doug Neary might have deserved to be kicked twice after the racially derogatory remarks that he spouted at Jordan Crawford’s face right before he was kicked. Now kicking him in the face might not have been the absolute best way to handle this, but what other way is there these days. Telling the ref, players, and coaches that doug had “said racist things” would not have resulted in any shape or form of disciplinary action, guaranteed. Instead, to make sure that he remembers for the rest of his life that calling black people ni@@ers is wrong, he got the structure of his skull rearranged. I think this was just an ugly manifestation of the racial tensions in our world today and that one should not be so quick to judge either side.

http://www.rugbydump.com/2017/11/60...ck-during-college-rugby-match-leads-to-arrest

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Being called a name doesn't give you the right to kick them. Laying on the wrong side of the breakdown however...

That's kinda funny in a macabre way

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Trial date is Dec 14, however there have been 2 recent settlement meetings, Case log indicates.

Occam razor may have two assholes on this story.

From rugby dump comments (could be fake news), but I'm just saying from rugby dump comments.

Tuber46November 30, 2017 1:55 pm

“Blatant Thuggery” What a joke. This article is extremely biased to one point of view. Those of us standing on the field that day know that Doug Neary might have deserved to be kicked twice after the racially derogatory remarks that he spouted at Jordan Crawford’s face right before he was kicked. Now kicking him in the face might not have been the absolute best way to handle this, but what other way is there these days. Telling the ref, players, and coaches that doug had “said racist things” would not have resulted in any shape or form of disciplinary action, guaranteed. Instead, to make sure that he remembers for the rest of his life that calling black people ni@@ers is wrong, he got the structure of his skull rearranged. I think this was just an ugly manifestation of the racial tensions in our world today and that one should not be so quick to judge either side.

http://www.rugbydump.com/2017/11/60...ck-during-college-rugby-match-leads-to-arrest

That is interesting, but I'm afraid we can't put any evidentiary value on something someone typed in a comment on a random website. Are there any court docs or news articles suggesting there was a racist remark made?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I arrive at the L/O and notice the man who has been jawing at me the whole game standing behind the touch judge, He is hilljack, red bandana on head, a half drunk bottle of Jack, and six bottles of Budweiser at his feet. I decide to ref this L/O from about 20m mark on LOT, not at front of line.

Is this

1. Paranoid
2. Nervous
3. Cautious
4. Facetious

If you play along I'll give correct answer.

Apples and pears. Just being absurd. Time to ignore you.

Jolly Roger

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
NOTHING warrants this level of behaviour on a sports pitch!

Regardless of what has been said or done previously there is absolutely no justification whatsoever.

Frankly I am appalled that rugby referees and others with a passion for the game can see ANY way of justifying this action.

I am not going to suggest appropriate courses of action for someone who is abused, verbally or physically, on the pitch as we all know what they are. Kicking someone in the head is not one of them.

After many years in the Army, playing rugby for 30 years, boxing and martial arts there is NOTHING that I can envisage which justifies running up to someone who is tying their shoe lace and kicking him in the head. A man with a knife kneeling over my wife, yes. But this? No way...NOTHING can justify this!!!!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Frankly I am appalled that rugby referees and others with a passion for the game can see ANY way of justifying this action.

And I am appalled that there are people who only see things in vivid black & white. But I guess that is the army's aim.

Let's all be appalled at each other.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
And I am appalled that there are people who only see things in vivid black & white. But I guess that is the army's aim.
What about people who make a broad generalisation based on a comment about a very specific incident?

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
NOTHING warrants this level of behaviour on a sports pitch!

Regardless of what has been said or done previously there is absolutely no justification whatsoever.

I am not going to suggest appropriate courses of action for someone who is abused, verbally or physically, on the pitch as we all know what they are. Kicking someone in the head is not one of them.

After many years in the Army, playing rugby for 30 years, boxing and martial arts there is NOTHING that I can envisage which justifies running up to someone who is tying their shoe lace and kicking him in the head. A man with a knife kneeling over my wife, yes. But this? No way...NOTHING can justify this!!!!

i think the Arizona DC agrees see below, from: http://www.goffrugbyreport.com/news/asu-attack-video-released-disciplinary-details-released

After further consideration and discussion the ARU DC with have decided to move forward with a lifetime ban for Crawford with an option for review after 5 years and an option for an immediate appeal if he so desires within 14 days.

from NKW keyboard: decision gives Crawford 14 days to appeal as the DC would like to hear from Crawford (this is in article), kinda unfair and silly to assign 14 days when I'm sure his defense attorney has probably told Crawford "do not talk to anyone about your case" .

also from DC and article;

The reason we are recommending an option for an immediate appeal to our decision is to afford Jordan due process and if he would like to make a statement to support his claim of self-defense.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
i think the Arizona DC agrees see below, from: http://www.goffrugbyreport.com/news/asu-attack-video-released-disciplinary-details-released

After further consideration and discussion the ARU DC with have decided to move forward with a lifetime ban for Crawford with an option for review after 5 years and an option for an immediate appeal if he so desires within 14 days.

from NKW keyboard: decision gives Crawford 14 days to appeal as the DC would like to hear from Crawford (this is in article), kinda unfair and silly to assign 14 days when I'm sure his defense attorney has probably told Crawford "do not talk to anyone about your case" .

also from DC and article;

The reason we are recommending an option for an immediate appeal to our decision is to afford Jordan due process and if he would like to make a statement to support his claim of self-defense.

In other words: they are doing what the process tells them to do and affording him his rights per Reg 17 and 18. Nothing to be read into it one way one way or another.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
In other words: they are doing what the process tells them to do and affording him his rights per Reg 17 and 18. Nothing to be read into it one way one way or another.

Huh, I didn't know due process (their words) could have linitations placed on it. I realize, The AZ DC and AZRU are presumably private organization (unless they are a non profit) they can do whatever they want, such as limiting due process (their words).

Are Reg 17 and 18 the WRU documents?, or are they USAR?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
They are WR regulations to which USA R - and perforce, everything subordinate to USA R - adheres.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Defendant in this case has changed plea to guilty of aggravated assault. sentence on 20 Jun 18. This plea is to a class 6 felony. It will become a misdemeanor after probationary period is served. IMO, this plea will result in no jail time and supervised probation.

A civil case still exists against several individuals and organizations. (OJ can give advice on civil cases) It is difficult to follow court minutes, but most motions are to dismiss the case, but none yet by individual defendant. The defendant is representing himself in civil case, probably because no has no money. Not money to afford attorney, but no money to be awarded if sued. Once wealthier defendants are dismissed there will be no one left to pursue.

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/042018/m8276568.pdf

Class 6 felony explained, if u care

https://www.raykimblelaw.com/what-is-a-class-6-un-designated-felony

FWIW- if you are on the park, check your 6, be aware, watch your back. I said before "never let your guard down". Watch your back, former altar boys do not play rugby. former altar boys are busy with their other lawsuits.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'm a former altar boy.... and have no lawsuits.

"There can be only one"

didds

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm a former altar boy.... and have no lawsuits.

"There can be only one"

didds

My apologies, but for argument sake, my statement is accurate:

Do you play (presently) rugby?

Have your lawsuits been settled?

My use of phrase altar boy was a general term describing a young man with traditional behaviors and beliefs.

Are you a young man? or are you mature and reasonable?

My use of former to describe the altar boy and lawsuit reference was a wisecrack directed varied attempts to indoctrinate male children by the Catholic church .

As a coach would you prefer 15 altar boys or 13 borderline hooligans? 13 only because you need 2 altar boys to fill the wing.