Super 15 referees

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
This year the refereeing has been bery concerning.

I've seen one refereeing performance which I would call satisfactory (I haven't seen every game). Opinions would be fantastic from all of you!

Some assessment of who I've seen

Jonathan Kaplan- Absolutely pitiful, the penalties he blew were absolute rubbish, and the Melbourne vs Brumbies game was a disgust. Not appointed for 3 weeks, thankfully

Stuart Dickinson- Quite obviously been the best so far, scrum calls were consistent, ruck calls were consistent, and handed out reds cards correctly

Chris Pollock- Has been poor. Had a few clangers in his last few games, but nothing too major

Keith Brown- Very, very poor. Leaves a lot to be desired

Mark Lawrence- Alright, but just alright.

Nathan Pearce- This guy isn't fit to be refereeing S15

Ian Smith- average, a little pedantic, but average

Garratt Williamson- I liked this guy, but the Brumbies vs Crusaders game was pretty poor on his behalf

Overall, I think something needs to be done. It's been some very poor refereeing this year so far.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Jonker had an ok game this week, though I first thought his penalties for props putting a hand on the deck was pedantic, it cleared the scrums up nicely in the second half.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Jonker had an ok game this week, though I first thought his penalties for props putting a hand on the deck was pedantic, it cleared the scrums up nicely in the second half.

Just goes to show that BCM is absolutely right really.

As if there was any doubt.

didds

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Indeed!

Brian, any gloating? (perfectly acceptable given the admittance by me).

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

I've seen one refereeing performance which I would call satisfactory (I haven't seen every game). Opinions would be fantastic from all of you!

Jonathan Kaplan- Absolutely pitiful, the penalties he blew were absolute rubbish, and the Melbourne vs Brumbies game was a disgust. Not appointed for 3 weeks, thankfully

Stuart Dickinson- Quite obviously been the best so far, scrum calls were consistent, ruck calls were consistent, and handed out reds cards correctly

Chris Pollock- Has been poor. Had a few clangers in his last few games, but nothing too major

Garratt Williamson- I liked this guy, but the Brumbies vs Crusaders game was pretty poor on his behalf

Overall, I think something needs to be done. It's been some very poor refereeing this year so far.

Agree with the comments in green, disagree with the ones in red.

SD hasn't been any better than the rest, but I saw nothing wrong with how Garratt Williamson went last Friday. I was there and had a first hand view.

As for Chris Pollock, please elaborate on the "few clangers" you allege he has had.

chief

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Pollock:

Lachie Turner was offside and the Waratahs scored a try from it (Saders vs Tahs)

Thought he was incorrect in the sinbinning of Vuna on the weekend, earlier in the half the exact same infringement in same spot was committed.

As for Williamson, it was a YC that changed the game, and an incorrect one, it shouldn't have been one and he had a great view of it

Dickinson has been consistent, which is more you can say about the other refs.

Big question, will Kaplan go to the RWC after this year's dubious performances.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

He did the Force v Sharks (I think) game and I though he was ok. I didn't like the explanation of Sheehan being offside at a scrum after 4 mins (you've got to say within the proximity of the scrum) although Ian Cook thought he did Sheehan for hind most foot at scrum although that is not what he said. I thought he got the Rory Sidey tackle on Ndugane spot on and the rest of the game seemed to be managed reasonably well.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I haven't seen any of the games, so can't comment on individuals, but this remark puzzles me. Exactly what do you think can be done?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
SD was excellent in round 3 (haven't seen his other games so far).
Williamson was average last week but the Brumbies were so bad and ill disciplined that they took a lot of the focus off the referee.
Steve Walsh was good in the Stormers v Highlanders game but I have a question. In the 77th minute, Walsh awards PK to Highlanders who attempt to take a quick tap but the ball apparently hits Walsh and he pulls it up to be retaken. The Highlanders then kick for touch. Probably OK but I was wondering if they had to retake the quick tap as that was their original option?

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
In the 77th minute, Walsh awards PK to Highlanders who attempt to take a quick tap but the ball apparently hits Walsh and he pulls it up to be retaken. The Highlanders then kick for touch. Probably OK but I was wondering if they had to retake the quick tap as that was their original option?

I wouldn't think so. it would be different if they had indicated a shot at goal, but not for a quick tap. If he wanted to be pedantic he could have set a scrum.

I really like Walsh. Yes, he can be a bit "different" but his style works for me.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I wouldn't think so. it would be different if they had indicated a shot at goal, but not for a quick tap. If he wanted to be pedantic he could have set a scrum.

I really like Walsh. Yes, he can be a bit "different" but his style works for me.

That Stormers v Highlanders game would have been a tough one to referee as the contests at the breakdown were savage. Full concentration required and I thought that Hollywood did a great job.

nealed

Referees in England
Post Likes
well for what its worth i think these guys do a really good job
the games are fantastic to watch and i enjoy them fat more than the premiership
so for me the refs do really well

i find it hard to understand why everyone is so critical all the time

as i have said before if these guys make mistakes it allows us to feel less bad when we make mistakes

enjoy the rugby the superv 15 is great stuff

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
well for what its worth i think these guys do a really good job
the games are fantastic to watch and i enjoy them fat more than the premiership
so for me the refs do really well

i find it hard to understand why everyone is so critical all the time

as i have said before if these guys make mistakes it allows us to feel less bad when we make mistakes

enjoy the rugby the superv 15 is great stuff
Nealed +1

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Did anyone see Vinny Munro in the Blues v Hurricanes game tonight

I thought he was outstanding tonight. Good communication, great game management, and used his ARs well (JK take note).

An excellent quip too, when Conrad Smith was tackled, wasn't held, then gained ground by crawling forward.

Vinny Pinged him for not releasing.

Conrad: "But ref, I wasn't held"

Vinny: "Rugby 101, play the game on your feet!"

Excellent!

IMO, this was easily the best performance by a referee so far this Super 15. This guy is definitely more deserving of being on the IRB panel than some who are already on it.

One point, not to do with Vinny's refereeing......

[mini-rant]
I am becoming increasingly annoyed in Super 15 with players who throw both arms up in a "come on ref!!!" gesture at every tackle, the moment the jackler goes for the ball. IMO, this is questioning the referee's judgment of the tackled player release. I would like to see it treated as dissent.

Has this been going on much in the NH?

[/mini-rant]

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Ian,

Couldn't agree more, and I too thought the quip was excellent!