[Law] Swearing at ref = red-card. Right or harsh ?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The lesson for the player is, don't put yourself in a position where you leave your fate in the hands of the referee (think Dylan Hartley/Wayne Barnes).

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
In conversation with a very senior former referee he said the only time he allowed players to swear at him was when they had taken a blow to the lower stomach and he offered them Hot spray or cold water. A quiet "F*** off referee'', was understandable and usually got a laugh from team mates.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
(Un)fortunately not.

Though not quite sure what you can do if they are already on the goal line and then backchat starts.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I remember once hearing a coach shout "F-cking hell! Incredible decision!" after his team lost possession in a turned-over maul. On that occasion I blew whistle and walked over to him and had a quiet word. I took the swearing part to just be an expression of frustration. It was an exclamation, and not telling me to F-off. There is a line.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Incidentally what happens when you march them 10 when only 10 metres from the goal line?

March them back 5 - that's as close to the goal line as you can award a penalty.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
March them back 5 - that's as close to the goal line as you can award a penalty.

So if the penalty was already going to be on the 5m line they'd get off scott free?

Personally I'd very seldom march them back 10m, only really within the last few minutes of a high tempo game.

Most of the time I'd stop play and 'upgrade' the sanction.

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
no, just 1 YC from me

So IIUC you YC a player, he tells you to **** off, and you do nothing? That is not empathy, it is lacking the wherewithal to do what is necessary. And, you make your own (and every ref that follows) job harder.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
broadly agree with comments here - very little chance that a comment of f*ck off is aimed at himself. of course it depends on the tone - i swear on a regular basis for a multitude of reasons, but people generally know if it's aimed at them or not.

had it been a muttered "you f*cking idiot" while looking at the ground, i'd be more inclined to give the benefit of the doubt. but not a direct comment. even more so if you were sure it was aimed at you, and i'd suggest that's given prominence in your report.

(says the man who never gave a red card in his few years of refereeing so has no experience in what the protocols are :))

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So IIUC you YC a player, he tells you to **** off, and you do nothing? That is not empathy, it is lacking the wherewithal to do what is necessary. And, you make your own (and every ref that follows) job harder.

"The floggings will continue until morale improves"

Cut the guy some slack. He's just given away a penalty for what he thought was an accidental hit and copped a YC in the process.

Last edited:

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Thanks for all the replies so far. Reading these has made me wonder just how many reds are being issued. I've gotta say, I appear to be giving out fewer reds than when I was in my first 2 years of reffing. Now, I dont know if that means I;m getting better at spotting and de-escalating problems earlier or I;m just turning into a soft-touch ;-)

I;d be interested if there is a metric such as Yellow Card per game and Red Cards per game. For me, I'm estimating the metrics are : YCPG = 0.9 RCPG=0.05 ( i.e. one Red Card every 20 games or so ).

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks for all the replies so far. Reading these has made me wonder just how many reds are being issued. I've gotta say, I appear to be giving out fewer reds than when I was in my first 2 years of reffing. Now, I dont know if that means I;m getting better at spotting and de-escalating problems earlier or I;m just turning into a soft-touch ;-)

I;d be interested if there is a metric such as Yellow Card per game and Red Cards per game. For me, I'm estimating the metrics are : YCPG = 0.9 RCPG=0.05 ( i.e. one Red Card every 20 games or so ).

I'm obviously doing something terribly wrong. .. 1 Red per about every 100 games or more!!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

Ask the discipline secretary for you region I bet they know the stats

- - - Updated - - -

That made me snort my beer :biggrin:

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
For National Leagues so far this season (288 games)
593 technical yellows
282 foul play yellow
35 red cards

So roughly 2 technical yellows and a foul play yellow per game and one red per eight games.

So at least three times the rate in the weeds.

Ignore that
Just realised the figures on the NCA site are for last season so for 720 games.
So rates much closer to those suggested.

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes

Cut the guy some slack. He's just given away a penalty for what he thought was an accidental hit and copped a YC in the process.

If he's swearing at the ground or himself, I really don't care.
If he's swearing at me in those words, it's at the very least a yellow card. As soona s you let THAT go, it's telling the other players that mouthing off is OK.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
So if the penalty was already going to be on the 5m line they'd get off scott free?

Personally I'd very seldom march them back 10m, only really within the last few minutes of a high tempo game.

Most of the time I'd stop play and 'upgrade' the sanction.

That's not what I said - I was answering a reasonable question about what to do if you decide to march 10m from only 10m out. If there was dissent or chat at a 5m penalty, then it may need to be escalated to a card, depending on the match circumstances.

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
For National Leagues so far this season (288 games)
593 technical yellows
282 foul play yellow
35 red cards

So roughly 2 technical yellows and a foul play yellow per game and one red per eight games.

So at least three times the rate in the weeds.

Ignore that
Just realised the figures on the NCA site are for last season so for 720 games.
So rates much closer to those suggested.

Thanks for that. This means I should be reffing in National 1 then, obviously ;-)

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

How many times do you tell yourself to "F*@k Off!"? More likely you would say "FFS" or "Why the F*@K" etc

Totally understand why CTPE gave the RC, would I have done the same? Not the point. It wasn't me in that situation and that is what we have to remember. We all have a different threshold and - as with LotG - a different interpretation of language used.