[Law] Swearing at ref = red-card. Right or harsh ?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
How many times do you tell yourself to "F*@k Off!"? More likely you would say "FFS" or "Why the F*@K" etc

Totally understand why CTPE gave the RC, would I have done the same? Not the point. It wasn't me in that situation and that is what we have to remember. We all have a different threshold and - as with LotG - a different interpretation of language used.

CTPE did ask for opinions about his approach. So there is mine for his consideration. And someone else did take a high & mighty approach (don't hear the word 'wherewithal' every day). But yes of course, only 1 of us was actually there.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think this has actually been an interesting thread.
Dickie especially gave me food for thought.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Thanks for all the replies so far. Reading these has made me wonder just how many reds are being issued. I've gotta say, I appear to be giving out fewer reds than when I was in my first 2 years of reffing. Now, I dont know if that means I;m getting better at spotting and de-escalating problems earlier or I;m just turning into a soft-touch ;-)

I;d be interested if there is a metric such as Yellow Card per game and Red Cards per game. For me, I'm estimating the metrics are : YCPG = 0.9 RCPG=0.05 ( i.e. one Red Card every 20 games or so ).

Interesting point about red cards. I have a referee coach who ref'd at a high level and says he only gave 3 or 4 cards in his entire career. By the point in that particular season I'd already given 3, and it was only September (none since I add.....). The game is refereed differently today than 20 or 30 years ago, less tolerance for punches, but maybe more tolerance for lower level dissent? I'd say generally there are more RCs due to focus on things like high tackles, tackles in the air etc. where you are left with no option.

I find I am harsher on fighting than most referees, connect with a punch and you're going, I don't care if it was a glancing blow to the stomach or a haymaker, throwing punches in unacceptable in my book, it's not acceptable in an office or pub and it's not acceptable on my pitch. I'm even tempted sometimes to RC a swing and a miss (why should the outcome rule the decision, or maybe I shouldn't go there!). On the other hand I'm not as severe on dissent as I should be. I'm happy with my level for fighting, I want to be stronger on dissent.

Averages? Maybe 1 RC every 15 games (1-3 a season over the past 5 years, 25-30 games a season), YC probably below average maybe 1 every 3 games, again probably something I need to be a bit harder generally (repeated infringements, reckless HT, dissent etc.). All a work in progress.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Interesting point about red cards. I have a referee coach who ref'd at a high level and says he only gave 3 or 4 cards in his entire career. By the point in that particular season I'd already given 3, and it was only September (none since I add.....). The game is refereed differently today than 20 or 30 years ago, less tolerance for punches, but maybe more tolerance for lower level dissent? I'd say generally there are more RCs due to focus on things like high tackles, tackles in the air etc. where you are left with no option.

I find I am harsher on fighting than most referees, connect with a punch and you're going, I don't care if it was a glancing blow to the stomach or a haymaker, throwing punches in unacceptable in my book, it's not acceptable in an office or pub and it's not acceptable on my pitch. I'm even tempted sometimes to RC a swing and a miss (why should the outcome rule the decision, or maybe I shouldn't go there!). On the other hand I'm not as severe on dissent as I should be. I'm happy with my level for fighting, I want to be stronger on dissent.

Averages? Maybe 1 RC every 15 games (1-3 a season over the past 5 years, 25-30 games a season), YC probably below average maybe 1 every 3 games, again probably something I need to be a bit harder generally (repeated infringements, reckless HT, dissent etc.). All a work in progress.

I always hate when a referee refers to a pitch as "my pitch ".

I personally take the view that the pitch is the players pitch and I am there as a guest.
However, each to their own!

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just a turn of phrase, players pitch, rugby pitch, bog, call it what you will.

i don’t like it when people needlessly highlight irrelevant parts of a post to express their displeasure, but each to his own eh��

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
FWIW I agree with Dickie. He's already going to the bin for 10 minutes. That is punishment enough for me.

He was frustrated and angry at having given away a PK and a YC. I wasn't there obviously, but from the description I think I would have just asked him to leave and give him 10 minutes to calm down.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Just a thought, and I am not condoning it, but... do you guys ever find that in egregious cases 10 minutes in the bin "accidentally" turns into (maybe) 15 by the time the player gets called back (I'm not talking about lack of ball being dead etc ..)

?

didds

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just a thought, and I am not condoning it, but... do you guys ever find that in egregious cases 10 minutes in the bin "accidentally" turns into (maybe) 15 by the time the player gets called back (I'm not talking about lack of ball being dead etc ..)

?

didds

Not so much depending on the offence, but when after 5 minutes you get shouts of "can he come back on ref?" from the touchline I have replied "no, he's still got 7 minutes left"

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

?

didds

I had an assessor who timed my YC , didn't attempt to stop start his watch with mine, and then bollocked me because someone had been off the pitch too long ....

It annoyed me because I am careful with my YC timings :-(

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had an assessor who timed my YC , didn't attempt to stop start his watch with mine, and then bollocked me because someone had been off the pitch too long ....

If he bollocked you for that, you probably had a pretty good game!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

From the sidelines I have often heard spectators complaining about that, not realising the referee stops his watch from time to time.