Thank God! At last Nigel Owens enforces (Caterpillar) Law - Use it

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'm in the enforcement group, particularly given the actual wording of the Law, as given by CR, which is surprisingly clear in this instance.

Harry

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
What the Law actually says is

[LAWS].When the ball has been clearly won by a team at the ruck, and is available to be played, the referee calls “use it”, after which the ball must be played away from the ruck within five seconds [/LAWS]

Surely "played away from the ruck" means run it or pass it. Making the ruck longer does neither

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Don't really know what the fuss is over. The direction to referees (and reviewers) as to how to referee this situation has been clear for some time. Since the direction/guidance the availability of the ball has sped up, even at the top end of he game, and as such there has not been any reason to penalise or apply the scrum. During the lockdown etc some players/clubs must have forgotten and as a result the scenario outlined in #1 was picked up as it should have been.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Come on he has only got a my bloody efforts. He needs to get an other buggers efforts before he gets offered a call me god, let alone a kindly call me god or god calls me god.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
https://www.ruck.co.uk/referee-nigel-owens-goes-viral-for-bold-refereeing-call/

Here is the clip

Is saying "use that please" the same as "use it" to a non-English speaking player?

Note: this is a general, not a specific, question. I don't know who the Racing SH is so an answer of "that's Fred Bloggs, he used to play for Harlequins" isn't what I'm looking for.

In the same way as "crouch, bind, set", is "use it" a prescribed phrase or are variations such as "play it", "there it is", "get on with it", "that's playable", etc allowable?

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
https://www.ruck.co.uk/referee-nigel-owens-goes-viral-for-bold-refereeing-call/

Here is the clip

Is saying "use that please" the same as "use it" to a non-English speaking player?

Note: this is a general, not a specific, question. I don't know who the Racing SH is so an answer of "that's Fred Bloggs, he used to play for Harlequins" isn't what I'm looking for.

In the same way as "crouch, bind, set", is "use it" a prescribed phrase or are variations such as "play it", "there it is", "get on with it", "that's playable", etc allowable?

DEfinately stick to the "legal" phrasing. We can expect non English speakers to learn the jargon of rugby. We should not expect them to learn personalised phrasing of referees.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
This reminds me of the problems of expecting referees to use foreign languages.

Munster were playing a French team, and at a ruck the (world famous) referee shouted "Laissez, Rouge!" (He should, of course, have said "Lâchez"). Unfortunately Rouge = red ie Munster. The French knew Munster were being told to release, and Munster thought the French were being warned because the referee was speaking French.