that haka again..

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I think the separation of Maori from NZ isn't where NZ as a country is right now. Rightly or wrongly, I get the feeling that they see the two as integrated, and not separate.
I hope that is true.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and thats the perceoption Ive had for a few decades .
(NB: This isnt to underplay the racism amongst SOME. And I havent lived there since 1993 so my opinion is worth FA!)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My perception is that NZ is the only country that I know that has such an apolitical bonding event. Good on 'em for that

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So when NZ play another pacific team such as Samoa (Siva Tau), Tonga (Sipi Tau) or Fiji (Cibi) - do they toss a coin and take it in turns, or the home side goes first, or could theoretically the other team launch into their war dance as an immediate response?

As much as the Haka is hugely important to the Māori culture, the AB does seem a little staged. The ones that occur organically are far more powerful - the one linked below carries far more power and emotion than the ABs could (perhaps because it is being delivered by modern day warriors? Though I may be biased, great-grandad was 3rd NZ Rifles in WW1 barracked near Stafford when not in action).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
My perception is that NZ is the only country that I know that has such an apolitical bonding event. Good on 'em for that
it's certainly political (see this thread)

(if not party political)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
it's certainly political (see this thread)

(if not party political)
I guess we can debate what political means, my point is that it appears to transcend the regular divides in society (race, gender, age, wealth, etc) and be a genuine patriotic bonding event for all kiwis. I'm talking about the haka in general, not the All Blacks specifically.
Unless the more genteel see it as a bit toxically masculine. Would be interesting to hear from kiwis.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I guess we can debate what political means,
its interesting how important the haka is in politics - it's even in the proposed UK/NZ trade deal, that the UK has to officially commit to respect it .

here's some other snippets

plus in rugby terms again, WR have produced a lot of rules/governance around it, as discussed ie it's part of rugby governance/politics right at the top.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
So a big haka tomorrow... the biggest spectacle since the 2015 final ?

realistically what is the best way for France to approach tomorrow's challenge . I bet they have been thinking about it.

What could France do ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
light a galouise and shrug?

who GAF?

Last edited: