that haka again..

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I finds it interesting that the haka is the one under scrutiny, as opposed to all of the similar challenges.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I finds it interesting that the haka is the one under scrutiny, as opposed to all of the similar challenges.

All come under the same heading for me.

Last edited:

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
not realistic (or appropriate). What would be an appropriate, realistic way for a team to convey a message : bored with all this haka now, and not paying attention...
Sense of humour by-pass?

Just ignore the Haka? Best not make it an issue. Wales made a fuss a few years ago and ended up getting the All Black fired up. Let the organisers sort out the "running order" and get it over with.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sense of humour by-pass?

Just ignore the Haka? Best not make it an issue. Wales made a fuss a few years ago and ended up getting the All Black fired up. Let the organisers sort out the "running order" and get it over with.
no, the Morris dancing idea made me smile a few years ago when I first heard it :)

but I am asking seriously : what's a possible, realistic way for teams to respond - what does 'ignore' it mean? Go into a huddle? a quick passing drill in the in goal? stretching?

I remember Wales forcing the haka off the pitch, and NZ having to haka in the changing room, that was possible as it a was a friendly, so Wales called the procedural shots.

At the RWC teams won't have that option as WR have a dedicated haka-spot in the running order

Was it Wales that once went into a huddle until it was over? That's a definite possibiity

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Love the response at 2 minutes in 😀

shep

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
no, the Morris dancing idea made me smile a few years ago when I first heard it :)

but I am asking seriously : what's a possible, realistic way for teams to respond - what does 'ignore' it mean? Go into a huddle? a quick passing drill in the in goal? stretching?

I remember Wales forcing the haka off the pitch, and NZ having to haka in the changing room, that was possible as it a was a friendly, so Wales called the procedural shots.

At the RWC teams won't have that option as WR have a dedicated haka-spot in the running order

Was it Wales that once went into a huddle until it was over? That's a definite possibiity
Pretty famously John Eales' team did some warm-ups instead of facing the haka in 1996.

The Wallabies got absolutley flogged 43-6 that day, and Eales says it's his biggest regret as a player

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
we have to do something about the haka, don't we? two minutes long.. it's just silly

Q for our southern hemisphere refs - do you often have hakas in the community game? do they last two minutes? do both teams dance at the same time, or is it consecutive ?

Well I can see that you've never sat through the Argentine National Anthem!

The crowd thinks its done and dusted at the one minute mark.... but wait... there's more!

For mine, I'd be quite happy to do away with our national anthem pre-match, and just have the players Haka! We can also do away with all the dignitaries meeting the players, I mean, who really give a fat rats anus about shaking any of the royals' hands?

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Pretty famously John Eales' team did some warm-ups instead of facing the haka in 1996.

The Wallabies got absolutley flogged 43-6 that day, and Eales says it's his biggest regret as a player
Athletic Park. I was there in the Millard Stand. It was blowing a gale, and chucking it down. The All Blacks played dry-weather, sunshine rugby on a very wet track. The Wobblies never stood a chance!

BTW, when Wales tried to mess with the All Blacks over the Haka in 2006, they also got flogged 45-10

There might be a wee lesson in that.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There might be a wee lesson in that.
is the lesson "show some respect for the haka" ?

Brian O Driscoll, I recall, threw some blades of grass or something in 2005 didn't he? he got taught good and proper !.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simple solution. Each country gets ONE thing:

1 anthem (not two like the Irish)

OR

1 Tribal display

Take your pick.
the irish only get two at home, don't they?
but when is a song actually two songs? the SA national anthem is actually Die Stem and Nkosi Sikilela bolted 'seamlessly' together, so is that one song or two? Or three as die Stem has a verse in english and verse in afrikaans.

Perhaps the answer is a simply a time limit : as many melodies, or indeed dance steps, as you like, but all inside 90s

although 90s is a short anthem, but quite a long haka

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Home or away is not relevant. WR need to say: "pick one". Pre match "entertainment BEFORE the teams emerge is the choice of the home nation. I'm talking about the OFFICIAL match "ceremonies"

Whatever is the official anthem is what goes. However much is normally used at official occsions. Eg the English anthem has verses that are never sung so they cant trot out the extra ones to suit themselves. It is not difficult to establish.

You can even have an official WR MP3 file containing all the official anthems / songs if you like so they are played exactly the same home or away with no disrespect being shown or "p" being taken.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hopefully Kazakstan never gets to WC final :

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Worth a smile but not realistic
What else could be done to signify bored of the haka ?
Didn’t Mako watch it whilst picking his nose and looking thoroughly uninterested a few years ago?