Touch Question

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Scrum to who and where (of and who gets the jug in AR or Ref :wink: )

good question.

I'd instinctively give it to red, as they had possession, where he was standing (but 5m in from touchline)

I have a feeling the Law will tell me this is wrong, and it should go to the attacking team, in the sense of which half for the field we are in. Likely in this scenario red caught it in his own half, so black are the attacking team and should get the scrum.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Scrum to who
You are doing this deliberately, aren't you? Anyway, to answer your badly-parsed question, scrum to non-kicking side, 15m in from where the AR was when you blew. And the Devil take any dissenters!

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
You say you should always go with your AR, but what if they get it wrong!

saw an incident a while back appointed TO3, Black PK to touch AR in a great position and the ball goes over their head, flag up and ref blows, at which point the ball, still not having touched the ground blows back into play and red full back catches it :chin:

so now what?

that TO3 needs to show up to training more often

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Lol I was the other side!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
well, you are talking about a possible bias, but don't forget that in this situation you may also be the 'home' ref. Personally I wouldn't go there.

it's easy and trouble free to overrule a TJ who keeps his flag down, you blow your whistle.

it's much more problematic to try an overrule a TJ who puts flag up. I know you will all say players must play to whistle, but I have sympathy with players who treat the flag as a whistle, especially when the players are kids and the TJ is one of the coaching team.

also how do you overrule - a cry of 'play on' is problematic, some may hear you some may not. It's quite random and not necessarily fair.

unless the TJ is demonstrably, clearly wrong I'd go with it.

If the TJ really is flagging for a non-event think it might often be better to treat a TJ wrongly flagging as an extraneous incident like a dog on the pitch and stop play and resume with a scrum (and change the TJ!)

I did post that it must be "clear and obvious" before you over rule. Re replacing the TJ. Why not if you thought it deliberate.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
when we talk about bad TJs people mostly leap to the biased-TJ scenario.

at my level, that's not really the main problem. Yes it happens very occasionally but the problem that happens frequently is the TJ who just wasn't paying attention and/or was miles away from the action and/or knows none of the (complicated) Laws relating to the various different scenarios we discuss here.

so then
- you can replace them (but will the next one be any better??? will you find another volunteer once they've all seen you sack the first one?)
- or you can chat in a friendly way and try and coach them,

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Lol I was the other side!

Now i never said that :nono: but if you want to be part of that TO3 that's your choice :wink:

Sorry Womble, couldn't resist it :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
IMO, if players have not been taught to play to the whistle, their coaches bear the brunt of any consequences for not doing so

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: