U18 Squeezeball

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
It isn't an offence in and of itself in junior rugby where he is in much the same way it isn't in senior rugby in England.

You can squeeze the ball and have it come back quick and have the tackled player move away. It's when bodies fail to move away that the PK offence arises.

TigerC's statement makes perfect sense to me!

I understood from the opening post that we were talking about what is known as 'squeezeball' at U18 in English rugby, given the poster is marked as Referees in England with society being Sussex.

TigerCraig then states this:

If we said that here our assessor would kill us. if howver we said "dangerous play" or "too slow to release" we would get away with it.

and this:

Because, as I have said here before we have been given a directive that "Squeezball is not in and of itself an offence". This applies to any age group here.

Therefore if you penalize someone, and then state clearly that it was for doing something that every one has been told is not an offence you are in trouble

This doesn't make sense when the terms of reference are English rugby and the action is banned.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Thanks Simon

Yes, the point I was making is that saying "Penalty for squeezeball" here in NSW would be like saying "Penalty for picking the ball up".

It is not a penalty in and of itself, but it could be depending on the situation.

I understand that in England the rules (not the Laws) are very different to here (eg we have lifting in lineouts from Under 12)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks Simon

I understand that in England the rules (not the Laws) are very different to here (eg we have lifting in lineouts from Under 12)

No, the RFU U19 Variations aren't rules.. nor Laws.. they are regulations

:)

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No, the RFU U19 Variations aren't rules.. nor Laws.. they are regulations

:)

if we are being pedantic, they are actually additional RFU Experimental Law Variations enacted as Regulations to the published U19 Law Variations for U19 Rugby in England for domestic matches, under IRB delegated powers to all home unions

dgilks

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
TigerCraig - per the ARU Game Management Guidelines if there is ANY delay in providing the ball in a squeeze-ball scenario it is to be called as sealing off the ball and penalised. You could alternatively call it dangerous. My approach (at U19) would be to say that if a player goes into the squeeze-ball position and the ball is not out past their legs immediately upon going to ground, I will penalise. The immediacy in this case will be more stringent than if the player did not go into the squeeze-ball position.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
TigerCraig - per the ARU Game Management Guidelines if there is ANY delay in providing the ball in a squeeze-ball scenario it is to be called as sealing off the ball and penalised. You could alternatively call it dangerous. My approach (at U19) would be to say that if a player goes into the squeeze-ball position and the ball is not out past their legs immediately upon going to ground, I will penalise. The immediacy in this case will be more stringent than if the player did not go into the squeeze-ball position.

Exactly how I do it. The end result is much the same.