UK National School Sevens 20-24 March 2006

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have just seen a call for additional referees to help out the London Society at the UK National Schools Sevens 20th-24th March 2006. As usual, the tournament is held on Wimbledon Common - by the A3 at the Robin Hood Roundabout, at the bottom of Kingston Hill. If you can squeeze a day or more out of the system then Andy Evans andy.evans@uk.bp.com would like to hear from you. The website for the event is at http://www.ns7.co.uk/ although there is not much on it yet.

This event is a lot of fun, a chance to hone your Sevens skills and to get together with other referees from all over; I met Mr Spreadbury there 2 years ago but I have already bored you with that story. First kick-offs are 10am and last kick-offs are at about 5:30pm each day. If you wish you can referee 'all day' ie 8-10 games over 8 hours so there's a minimum level of fitness required, believe me. In addition, all referees must have (a) a CRB disclosure to satisfy ERFU Child Protection Policy and (b) be a minimum Level 11. You can rest assured that there will be several senior referees fighting for the honour of refereeing the finals where mere level 9s may be allowed to run touch.

Last year, more than 60 referees took part, officiating hundreds of games throughout the week on 20 full sized pitches. Apparently the number of games is up by 25% and the maximum number of pitches in simultaneous use has been increased too this season. No wonder there is a cry for lots of support. Perhaps I might see you there - Robert, should we wear a distinctive hat or use a funny handshake or something? Hampshire refs will be recognised by their RAM green/black track suits and most of them are friendly!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have done at least one day each year in the past few seasons - it is a brilliant tournament and great for us to be able to help out our London Society colleagues.
I have met referees from all over at this event, and as Deeps says all grades are there from level 11 to National Panel and occasionally even higher.
I would urge you all to support the call for volunteers - it is now far too big for London Society to handle alone !

PeterTC

Referees in England
Post Likes
Martin (or any other Hants/Cambridge based refs), what days (if any) are you planning to go this year?

Term is due to finish for me Friday 17th, so barring any meetings that require my presence in Cambridge, I should be leaving Cambridge on the Sunday, and thus be free that week.

Obviously, am keen to do a few days if time permits, but would be sensible to see when others are going for purposes of lift sharing etc.

F

Fabio

I would be more than happy to help and take part in this tournament... if I only had the money to go to London again in less than a year... :(

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I'll be there for all days they allow me.

maybe I should produce a RRF's Top that members can buy and wear for when the other tops clash?

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Fabio said:
I would be more than happy to help and take part in this tournament... if I only had the money to go to London again in less than a year... :(
See if the IRB would sponsor an exchange?

Worth a go!

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
PeterTC said:
...would be sensible to see when others are going for purposes of lift sharing etc.

PeterTC,

I have allotted the entire week if they will have me and will happily share the driving as required.

The Monday is usually for Prep Schools where the quality of rugby can be surprisingly good without any of the feistiness that can occur with some of the older age groups. It is a good day to attend as a warm up and to learn the organisational routine. Tuesday is for schools that play one term of rugby only. Wednesday is Colts day with the quarters, semis and final on the Thursday along with the girls tournament and the first day of the Open Tournament. Last year in the Open competition there were 26 groups of 4 teams that competed within their groups on the Thursday; group winners entered a knock out competition on the Friday to determine quarter finalists. The latter stages were held at the Rosslyn Park ground. In all there were 910 games last year and this year the number will exceed 1000.

There is usually a 'fully subsidised' shirt in it too, mind you its minging by the Friday!

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Robert Burns said:
Maybe I should produce a RRF's Top that members can buy and wear for when the other tops clash?

One needs to be a little careful with regard to tops as non approved sponsored playing kit is likely to be frowned upon. To cater for the laundry turn around time the one concession usually is to allow you to wear a society shirt as an alternative. What about a loud T shirt, suitably rrf emblazoned, that can be worn between games, remembering that size XL fits everyone of course?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Deeps said:
What about a loud T shirt, suitably rrf emblazoned, that can be worn between games, remembering that size XL fits everyone of course?

You dropped one of these: "X" :D

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think you'll find XXXXL fits everyone - I know it may not touch in many places but you will fit inside, I guarantee, and it will keep my feet warm.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I would respectfully suggest that anyone who is expecting to cover 8 or so national schools Sevens matches in a day (certainly for the older school age groups), will fit an L and certainly an XL. Anything bigger and you will be stuggling to last into the afternoon matches !

As a current level 7 referee, I need to be pretty fit still to last 80 odd minutes twice a weekend. Having done this tournament for a number of years, I am blowing hard and leg stiffening by the final match (though at 48 age is a major contributor !) , despite careful warm downs and stretching.

Simon Griffiths

Referees in England
Post Likes
I might try and get out there for a change this year. Despite being in term, my school's very good when it comes to allowing time for this sort of 'extra-curricular' activity. Wednesday is probably the day they'd encourage me to go on (as I have no lessons, just games - probably athletics in March, we pack up rugby at the end of Feb, unless we're still in the cup - as we were last season).

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
I'd love to attend that, but I think I'd struggle to get clearance from the wife considering that I'm already planning on breaking up our trip to San Diego with some refereeing commitments!

If anyone is available to travel to New York in November we always need more refs for the NY Sevens. This year there were 90 teams on 10 pitches over the course of one day. I did 8 matches myself, the first of which had to be refereed in sneakers/trainers because the pitches were still frozen solid!

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think i saw a bit about the NY Sevens on Total Rugby the other week and remembered thinking that the pitches looked bl**dy hard!

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
thehookah said:
I'd love to attend that, but I think I'd struggle to get clearance from the wife considering that I'm already planning on breaking up our trip to San Diego with some refereeing commitments!

If anyone is available to travel to New York in November we always need more refs for the NY Sevens. This year there were 90 teams on 10 pitches over the course of one day. I did 8 matches myself, the first of which had to be refereed in sneakers/trainers because the pitches were still frozen solid!
I may actually do this, send the details over and i'll see if I can get clearance.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Robert Burns said:
I may actually do this, send the details over and i'll see if I can get clearance.

Robert,

Send me an email and I'll put you in touch with the assignments guy from the Metro NY Society. They will be delighted at the thought of getting some more experienced refs signed up. Typically they have to call guys out of retirement and have volunteer player refs to cover some of the matches. This means that everyone else gets pushed up the ranks a bit, but does mean that some of the lower graded matches have "refs" who are not 100% up to speed.

This year they paid $100 plus a shirt and free entry to an open bar party, which was nice, although I couldn't actually attend the party myself so a fellow ref got a spare ticket from me to take his missus with him.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
thehookah said:
This year they paid $100 plus a shirt and free entry to an open bar party, which was nice, although I couldn't actually attend the party myself so a fellow ref got a spare ticket from me to take his missus with him.

Spending Money & a Free Shirt?

I'm there.

Email will be sent shortly!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sounds a bit like the National 7s! Although they are talking about issuing shirts instead of expenses - not that we do it for the money.

I'll be there on the Thursday, and I know Andy is still short - he's pleading with me to do the Wednesday too but work pressures won't allow.

Wouldn't mind a look at the NY 7s as well, if its possible the hookah?

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Maybe we could take a London group?

willsie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
would love to be a part of that!!! I have heard 7's is fun and i LOVE the fast paced games, much fun!!!

pLEASE em,ail the details along. Cheers