UK National School Sevens 20-24 March 2006

jboulet4648

Referees in America
Post Likes
NY 7's

The NY 7's is a fun tourney, the level of 7's this past year was down from the previous so I did not go.

In 2004 there was an elite 7's division with the british Army, Samurai 7's (featuring Ben Gollings), the South African Panthers (the members who did not make the national 7's side), Bermuda's National Side, Mexicos National Side, Suzies Saloon (An international touring side from Amsterdam of Kiwi Ex-Pats) and two US Sides (NY Old Blue and Albany). It was incredible. I reffed a match between the British Army and Suzies Saloon and was amazed at the level of play, nothing I had ever reffed. I also ran touch for the semifinals match between the British Army and SA Panther, and was In Goal ref for the final where Samurai beat British Army.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
If anyone is interested in NY, then email me about it and I'll work as a liason for you and get you connected with all the right people. Like I said earlier I'm certain that they would be delighted to have some visiting refs on board.

Of course for any tournaments in New England I will refer you directly to Mr. Boulet. Events under his purview include the New England 10's in the summer, which is a great tournament.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Has anyone had any instructions through the post on the Uk National School Sevens yet? I know the organiser has changed this year from previous years but having followed up on the calling notice, I would have expected to have heard something by now?

PeterTC

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not yet (to the best of my knowledge), though I did drop him an e-mail as my availability changed at the start of this week.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Not heard from Andy yet, no.

I will speak to him later I hope.

Brian Ravenhill

Referees in England
Post Likes
No. Haven't heard anything as yet, but wasn't expecting to until the week before.

willsie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
How would an aussie over in england for a year refereeing with Berkshire society get involved in the Uni footy games and the national schools sevens? Am refereeing at a decent level and was on an ARU scholarship for promising young talent last year.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
willsie said:
How would an aussie over in england for a year refereeing with Berkshire society get involved in the Uni footy games and the national schools sevens? Am refereeing at a decent level and was on an ARU scholarship for promising young talent last year.

Willsie - Find out who your midweek appointer in the Berkshire Society is and give him a ring. Assuming your assessed level as a referee matches that of the Uni games and you make yourself available on Wednesday afternoons, you should be able to sort something out.

As for the National School Sevens, my first posting in this thread tells you how to do it, however, you will need to have completed a Criminal Records Bureau assessment and be in possesion of an Enhanced Disclosure Certificate to referee anyone under the age of 18 :eek: (for child protection reasons).

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No doubt a typo Deeps - but that should be U18 !
A CRB disclosure certificate is mandatory to officiate at the National Schools 7s as is a grade of 11 or higher.
Contact Andy Evans (London Society) at andy.evans@uk.bp.com

Last edited:

willsie

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
the crim check is ok, I had to do one with my school when i got here as i am working with lots of little kids and therefore that was mandatory. What do i do if my mid week appointments guy has absolutely NO IDEA?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
willsie said:
What do i do if my mid week appointments guy has absolutely NO IDEA?

1) Find a Berkshire University or Agriculture College website and ring/email the sports department. Ask them who they organise their rugby referees with and why they are not applying to the Berkshire RURS? or,

2) Move to Hampshire, our mid week appointer knows how!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I got my details yesterday, If anyone needs them let me know and I'll post them in our area (for obvious reasons)

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Robert Burns said:
I got my details yesterday...

Me too Robert and a colleague has his also. Just waiting for details as to where and when for Monday morning so that I can plan travel around Hindhead on the A3.

PeterTC

Referees in England
Post Likes
Got the e-mail, also have the stuff at home (though am not back until Sunday night due to me taking a detour home to referee). Not coming Monday though, as have an internship interview.

Brian Ravenhill

Referees in England
Post Likes
My details arived by post on Monday. Now just got to workout where on Wimbledon Common I am supposed to be and when. I'll be there on Wednesday only.