Uncontested Scrum - Hands in.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
So, he won it, then he lost it before the scrum was over. So they have to give it back.

Any ref who would allow the opposition to gain posession at uncontested scrum should get a serious red flag. That sort of decision would only encourage players to compete at the UC Scrum, perhaps unobtrusively, and with some subtlety, but wedges have thin ends.

The law is clear, and the logic behind it is clear. If it's an UC scrum then the side putting in MUST win the ball - and to try to use the disingenuous idea that they won it then gave it away so the turnover is OK simply will NOT do.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Davet - I entirely agree. I just thought they were joking!

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Interestingly many coaches at the young uncontested levels regard the cocking up of the "free" scrum balls and a learning curve for their hookers. They don't want a second bite of the cherry to get it right. I have been "admonished" by some for resetting the scrum in such a situation. I don't have a great problem with saying tough either way. I'm glad the general view is reset however.

On the subject of senior scrums going u/c the average hooker should have no trouble clean hooking a ball. Any failure must bring into question what is going on in the front row.

Davet

Post Likes
Interestingly many coaches at the young uncontested levels regard the cocking up of the "free" scrum balls and a learning curve for their hookers. They don't want a second bite of the cherry to get it right. I have been "admonished" by some for resetting the scrum in such a situation. I don't have a great problem with saying tough either way. I'm glad the general view is reset however.

Any coach issuing such an admonishment would be told to go away.
On the subject of senior scrums going u/c the average hooker should have no trouble clean hooking a ball. Any failure must bring into question what is going on in the front row.

True, and a failure to clean heel unopposed ball would worry me greatly, from a coaching perspective. As a ref it might make me question if the remaining FR is quite as STE as I had been led to believe....

Though of course the problem may simply be that the hooker is the reason we are uncontested in the first place.:chin:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
True re the senior hooker.

With youngsters, and their coaches, I regard it much more as a training issue for both. Many coaches are just dads so to be told to go away is not really helping the situation. Talk to and with not at is the best way.

I have an assessor who advocated "quoting a Law ruling" if you are questioned. on the basis that "they never know" What is wrong with honest dialogue?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I am not sure a dialogue is a good idea. Offer to discuss it afterwards by all means, but not during the game.

Davet

Post Likes
The "go away" was in relation to a coach "admonishing" the ref. That word is usually a euphemism for "bollocking" - as when the ref "admonishes" a player for poor behaviour.

Any coach trying to bollock the ref would receive an appropriate comment - along the of "go away"

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Any coach trying to bollock the ref would receive an appropriate comment - along the of "go away"

Like "have sex and travel!!!!" perhaps?

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes

The Pathway in Wales has Uncontested scrums upto age 10 I believe, thereafter they become passive, ie no push but the ball can be contested by the hookers.

http://www.wru.co.uk/downloads/pdfs/WRU-Rugby-Pathway2008.pdf

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The Pathway in Wales has Uncontested scrums upto age 10 I believe, thereafter they become passive, ie no push but the ball can be contested by the hookers.

http://www.wru.co.uk/downloads/pdfs/WRU-Rugby-Pathway2008.pdf

So that raises a question doesn't it? Why don't we have "passive" scrums in those circumstances on the elite game when we are going uncontested?. If 10 year-olds can manage it, surely the big boys can?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
because you can trust the 10 year olds to behave themselves but you can't do likewise with the old farts.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
So that raises a question doesn't it? Why don't we have "passive" scrums in those circumstances on the elite game when we are going uncontested?. If 10 year-olds can manage it, surely the big boys can?

Hookers dont even contest the ball in contested scrums at the elite level :D :D

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
... but it would be an excellent time to make them do so!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
... but it would be an excellent time to make them do so!

Actually, there's an idea.....

REF: "Crouch-Touch-Pause-Engage"

Scrum collapses

Scrum collapses

Scrum collapses

REF: "Right then. Passive scrums until you buggers learn how to put the scrum down without falling on your faces!!!!"

Centaurian

Referees in England
Post Likes
interesting how "materiality" is not a word that is written in the Law book - at least not in the 2008 version

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
why would it be ?

Law is factual, but applying it is based on judgement, context, interpretation and materiality.