Unusual Incidents

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
What if, when the teams were running onto the field, the blue lock recognised the red scrum half as the guy who was climbing out his bathroom window when he came home early last night, and he snots him before the kick-off? Would the ref give the blue lock his marching orders and start the game with a PK to red at the centre?
Just thinking.

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
Perhaps a box of tissues and suggests that that in the interests of hygiene he go home to recover from what is clearly a bad cold?

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Were Blue on the field at the time of kick off?

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Were Blue on the field at the time of kick off?

Which reminds me of an incident I witnessed........in the absence of one team, who had been asked a number of times by the Referee to take the field for the KO, the Ref decided to start the game. The team that had elected to kick kicked straight out on the full. Scrum back to the opposition who were still in the dressing room!!!!

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
As a companion to DocY's 'this week's cock up' thread -- a thread for those odd/unusual/entertaining things that happen on a rugby field.

this one, which happened in my game last week, I'll give you in the form of a puzzle

Red kick the game off and, seconds later, without any contact at all between the players, I award a PK to Red -- which they convert for a three point lead.

Can you guess what Blue did to give away such a quick PK ?

At the moment red kick the restart, Blue fullback scream something like "You're gonna f**k it up again you w**ker!!!" Or worse he used the N word or something along the same kind of racial discrimination.
PK against the fullback where he stands for un sportsmanship behaviour.

So???
Tell us, what was it?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Had a good one in a pre season sevens tournament at my club.
Our local RL semi professional team Barrow put a side in and it was a good run out for all.
In one game the local RL team were winning easily and One of the lads was on a hat trick in the first half and took a lovely short ball at pace and was never going to be stopped.
Loud blast from me after he makes about 20m and he looks at me and says no way was that forward. I say I know it's half time.
Your joking he says. Sorry mate no its different rules in RU sevens when times up that's it.
Took him a few seconds to realise he was being wound up and took it in the spirit it was intended.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I agree, that is harsh, and it might even count as a Law error...

[LAWS]11.1 OFFSIDE IN GENERAL PLAY
(a) A player who is in an offside position is liable to sanction only if the player does one of three
things:
• Interferes with play or,
• Moves forward, towards the ball or
• Fails to comply with the 10-Metre Law (Law 11.4).
A player who is in an offside position is not automatically penalised.
A player who receives an unintentional throw forward is not offside.
A player can be offside in the in-goal.
[/LAWS]

YMMV

PS: Disorientation can be a bugger. In a Rugby League match, I once saw a player get spun around in a tackle. He stood up facing the wrong way and played the ball to his opposing marker! IIRC it was at the 2013 RWLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjftQJwAdv0 ?

didds

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Good game today. 4 yellow cards, all technical and no issues.
Usual after the match stuff, man of match, drink off and the away team voting for dick of the day.
I'm thinking it'll be for the not 10m retreating yellow card but no.
Second row gets singled out for buying 40 teabags at a motorway services on the way to the game as apparently they were a bargain and cheaper than in his local Whitehaven shop!

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had a couple today - one was boarderline cock-up, but I'm feeling generous.

First one - a flying wedge! Never had cause to penalise one of those before. Someone had the idea that if it wasn't straight from a tap penalty it was okay, so they had a tap, set up a ruck, then did it.

The other was a bit more interesting: there had been a couple of yellow cards, then I'd warned green about creeping offside.

Shortly later (nearly 20 minutes from no side), three of them came up offside all quite close together and I lost patience. I picked out the leftmost player to ping (closest to the centre of the posts) reaching into my pocket as I called him over when "oh ****, I've already yellow-carded him [and hadn't YC'd either of the others]".
I didn't make myself popular.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Shortly later (nearly 20 minutes from no side), three of them came up offside all quite close together and I lost patience. I picked out the leftmost player to ping (closest to the centre of the posts) reaching into my pocket as I called him over when "oh ****, I've already yellow-carded him [and hadn't YC'd either of the others]".
I didn't make myself popular.

If a player has already received a YC, then he should be playing whiter than white. So that is not your fault.

You can word it carefully in your RC Report, to encourage (indirectly) the judiciary towards leniency. Do discuss your wording with Society officers. If you chose him because his position gave the most advantage to the attackers, then say so. Ideally it should perhaps have been the player that was most offside.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
If a player has already received a YC, then he should be playing whiter than white. So that is not your fault.

You can word it carefully in your RC Report, to encourage (indirectly) the judiciary towards leniency. Do discuss your wording with Society officers. If you chose him because his position gave the most advantage to the attackers, then say so. Ideally it should perhaps have been the player that was most offside.

Oh I agree. Largely his fault and if it had just been him offside on his own it wouldn't have been noteworthy, but I could have easily gone for one of the others (and had I had my wits about me I would have) without anyone batting an eyelid - and I think that would have been better management. As it was, it drew a bit of attention away from the game and onto me.

The report won't be much of a problem - not the first time I've given a player two YCs, just the first time I've had a choice about who to YC and chose the one player who was already on one!
Along the lines of "first YC for cynically killing the ball, second following repeated offsides by the whole team".

TBH I think disciplinaries where there hasn't been foul play are a waste of time.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

straight question - why not YC all three? they are all equally as culpable?

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes

didds

Given that it's something you very rarely see (and it is quite common, even at the top level for whole backlines to be offside) it would have lead to a lot of "WTF is he doing?!" and the accompanying loss of respect and authority.

I'm also not completely sure I'd be right in law, though happy to be corrected, and for a decision that would have handed the game to one team (there was one score in it at this time), I'd want to be 100% sure.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

didds
This would appear to be legitimate, since the law specifies "player(s)". However I have never seen it done and feel it would usually be OTT.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
cheers both.

i'm happy enough with that, but just uncomfortable that the ref then effectively (for all the right reasons) has to play God. Just picking none of several culprits "at random" - but dealing with the outcomes, that could affect a team more than just a loss of a player for ten minutes...
e.g

- the example above of a 2nd YC = RC
- a prop and subsequent replacements (which may affect another totally innocent player who has to sub off for a replacement prop maybe subsequently) or man off scenarios.
- the team's main goal kicker/lineout thrower etc.

didds

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
cheers both.

i'm happy enough with that, but just uncomfortable that the ref then effectively (for all the right reasons) has to play God. Just picking none of several culprits "at random" - but dealing with the outcomes, that could affect a team more than just a loss of a player for ten minutes...
e.g

- the example above of a 2nd YC = RC
- a prop and subsequent replacements (which may affect another totally innocent player who has to sub off for a replacement prop maybe subsequently) or man off scenarios.
- the team's main goal kicker/lineout thrower etc.

didds
I don't think the referee should be considering the impact on the team in those terms. I recommend picking the player who was most at fault eg the one who initiated the offside movement, or caused the most impact on play.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
TBH I think disciplinaries where there hasn't been foul play are a waste of time.

over her, if a player gets 2 YCs for non-foul play events he gets 1 game off with no hearing. I presume he could ask for one if he wanted to challenge.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Playing 12 vs 15 for ten minutes because of offside (no foul play) seems highly excessive.

If a significant portion of the team is breaking a law that you've team-warned the captain about, is there a case for YCing the captain?