Use of whistle - when and where?

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simple one this one -

I wanted to clarify in my mind with everyone's help when to and when not to use the whistle - particularly when not;

Scenarios

When to blow
1. Start of half kick off, half time, full time
2. Penalty/FK/Scrum etc infringement
3. Ball goes in to touch after Penalty kick?
5. When try is awarded
4. when ball goes dead
5. When any kind of goal is scored - PK, DK, Conversion

When not to blow
1. When ball goes into touch
2. For any restart kick

any others you'd care to add or correct me on?

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes
When ball goes into touch should be on your list of When to blow

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Simple one this one -

I wanted to clarify in my mind with everyone's help when to and when not to use the whistle - particularly when not;

Scenarios

When to blow
1. Start of half kick off, half time, full time
2. Penalty/FK/Scrum etc infringement
3. Ball goes in to touch after Penalty kick?
5. When try is awarded
4. when ball goes dead
5. When any kind of goal is scored - PK, DK, Conversion

When not to blow
1. When ball goes into touch
2. For any restart kick

any others you'd care to add or correct me on?

try here...... http://www.irblaws.com/index.php?law=6 6.A.7 The referee’s whistle 6.A.7

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
When ball goes into touch should be on your list of When to blow

now that's an interesting one. If you do that you prevent the quick throw-in...so say referee coaches for London SW, so you should avoid blowing for the ball going in to touch...

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
a question on this topic. Let's you award PK (PK-style whistle) and then want to have time off (injury, admonishment or whatever)
so a second whistle (quick one) and announce 'time off'

my question is about how you get the game going again, especially when the 9 is waiting on the mark, ball in hand, and a very quick tap is a strong possibility

1 short whistle and announce 'time on'
2 wait so that the person you have admonished, or anyone who helping an injury has reasonable time to get back 10m
3 make a mark for the PK, and step away from it
4 PK whistle and signal.

right? sequence right? would you do (2) before (1) (4) before (3)

it may seem trivial but if you are very close to tryline, with a hair trigger 9 , every tiny bit can be significant

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
now that's an interesting one. If you do that you prevent the quick throw-in...so say referee coaches for London SW, so you should avoid blowing for the ball going in to touch...
No. The London SW coaches should change their instructions. It is not always clear that the ball is in fact in touch, so the whistle indicates that it is, but does not prevent a quick throw-in. A team does not lose by trying one, since they do not lose the right to a regular lineout.

At low levels the TJ (if you have one) is not always correct and may need to be over-ruled.

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
a question on this topic. Let's you award PK (PK-style whistle) and then want to have time off (injury, admonishment or whatever)
so a second whistle (quick one) and announce 'time off'

my question is about how you get the game going again, especially when the 9 is waiting on the mark, ball in hand, and a very quick tap is a strong possibility

1 short whistle and announce 'time on'
2 wait so that the person you have admonished, or anyone who helping an injury has reasonable time to get back 10m
3 make a mark for the PK, and step away from it
4 PK whistle and signal.

right? sequence right? would you do (2) before (1) (4) before (3)

it may seem trivial but if you are very close to tryline, with a hair trigger 9 , every tiny bit can be significant

I had just that scenario a couple of weeks ago. There's no quick PK at this stage methinks, so however hair triggered the 9 is, he has to wait for you and other players to get in to position before you blow to restart. So in essence, having stopped the game, you have admonished the player, moved the injured player off the pitch, moved the offending team back 10 or to goal line, told the 9 where the mark is, stepped away and then blown for time back on.

Rich

Referees in England
Post Likes
No. The London SW coaches should change their instructions. It is not always clear that the ball is in fact in touch, so the whistle indicates that it is, but does not prevent a quick throw-in. A team does not lose by trying one, since they do not lose the right to a regular lineout.

At low levels the TJ (if you have one) is not always correct and may need to be over-ruled.

so many views!! :) I know the law states that you should, but being of a lowly grade I kinda take what I am told without too much questioning of those that should know better!! And then I come on here....

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
the problem with blowing time back on is that even though i eyeball the player holding the ball telling him not to take it until i say so, 9 times out of 10 as soon as i blow(short) the whistle for time back on they take it :shrug:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
so many views!! :) I know the law states that you should, but being of a lowly grade I kinda take what I am told without too much questioning of those that should know better!! And then I come on here....
Without whistle = play on. Potentially catastrophic for many reasons. A QTI is a quickly thrown [before formed] Lineout which is preceded by whistling for the ball being deemed in touch. ........... ps.... I listen to one assessor instruct one way, and the next one says exactly the opposite!.....questioning isn't a weakness, it's a learning.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the problem with blowing time back on is that even though i eyeball the player holding the ball telling him not to take it until i say so, 9 times out of 10 as soon as i blow(short) the whistle for time back on they take it :shrug:

so so you announce time on, but refrain from blowing whistle?
trouble with that is, the defending team can legitimately complain that they didn't realise time was back on, aren't you supposed to whistle??

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Maybe...."Player I'm going to blow TWICE, 1st to get time on, and 2nd for you to take the PK/FK , if you go on the first whistle i'll bring you back for a scrum with opposition feed - do you understand? [ie.... Barnes & Myler AP Final] should make him listen ..... OR maybe the 2nd whistle requirement should be ditched , as it's unnecessary ?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
maybe when blowing time on stand in front of mark and with your back to the 9 - - every 9 knows that he can't take a PK behind the referee's back. It's a good non-verbal signal that this is not the moment to tap and go.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
just trying what i beleive is the correct protocol......

1. Peep "time on"

2. Blast, Primary signal (assume it's a stop for a PK of course)

3. Secondary

4. "Now you can take it"

Try it see how har you get before they go off :wink:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

1. Peep "time on"

3. Secondary

4. "Now you can take it"

I don't like that as the 9 doesn't ever have to wait for a secondary signal, if the ball happens to be in his hand, and he's on the line behind the mark he can go ....

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

1. Peep "time on"

3. Secondary

4. "Now you can take it"

I'm not really seeing the problem. My personal preference is:

1) whistle for offence, primary signal.
2) immediate second whistle (possibly of the rapid peep-peep-peep variety) for time off
3) admonish/card offender
4) manage offending team to get into position
5) primary and secondary signal to inform the crowd's guide dog
6) blow whistle once to indicate both time on and play restarts.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
always whistle (a short low beep) when the ball is in touch (once it has hit the ground - it can always be blown back into play while still in the air, or hit a stationary object - lights pylon, ground fencing, etc). Blowing the whistle does NOT prevent a quick throw being taken.
If the ball hits a moving object (spectator, dog, car, etc) a QT is not on offer.

London SW referee coaches are wrong - I will mention to Bob O and Nick C when I see them at the London Dinner on 21st at RAC Club.

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
always whistle (a short low beep) when the ball is in touch (once it has hit the ground - it can always be blown back into play while still in the air, or hit a stationary object - lights pylon, ground fencing, etc). Blowing the whistle does NOT prevent a quick throw being taken.
If the ball hits a moving object (spectator, dog, car, etc) a QT is not on offer.

London SW referee coaches are wrong - I will mention to Bob O and Nick C when I see them at the London Dinner on 21st at RAC Club.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, been pondering this for quite some time now. Both as a referee and a player coach (who coaches players that the whistle is to stop the game) I do believe that we should refrain from blowing when the ball goes into touch until the QTI is no longer an option. I am not saying this is correct in law but as the game moves on, sometimes we need to move with it. What is the players expectation when they hear the whistle blown?!!