Status
Not open for further replies.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hi all,

I didn't get any nibbles on my thread re. motorhomes in UK (maybe I'm on everyone's ignore list?)

A more general question: is there a Better Business Bureau, Consumer Affairs Office or similar in UK that I can contact to verify bona fides of a business?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I Googled my own company the other day. There was a lot more information on the Companies House website than I would have thought.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
If it's a ltd co / Plc then try www.duedil.com - all the companies house stuff, and a bit more for free, additional reports can be bought for a few quid. If a non legally regulated firm (eg sole trader or partnership) then nothing other than google for history am afraid

Last edited:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Like Taff said try a Free WebCHeck on Companies House.

Be careful though scammers can use genuine company names & still send you dodgy direct contact details :

Miss Sarah Catherine Legg
Non-executive Director at Hang Seng Bank

Genuine company, related scam

Last edited:

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If it's a ltd co / Plc then try www.duedil.com - all the companies house stuff, and a bit more for free, additional reports can be bought for a few quid. If a non legally regulated firm (eg sole trader or partnership) then nothing other than google for history am afraid

Go with this. We use it work to help decide how much effort to put into securing a deal. It's not gospel, but as good as you'll get.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Any worthwhile company will have registered for VAT in the UK - the turnover threshold requiring registration is just £81,000. If you have the company's alleged VAT number, you can verify that it is a valid one by running it through the EU's VAT number checker: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/vies/

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't know if it is the same downunder but in the UK if you pay by credit card his provides an element of insurance against such eventualilites.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Don't know if it is the same downunder but in the UK if you pay by credit card his provides an element of insurance against such eventualities.
That's what I would do Dickie.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Don't know if it is the same downunder but in the UK if you pay by credit card his provides an element of insurance against such eventualities.

As long as it is between £100 and £3000 (I think).

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks one and all.

I've had great advice on this issue and will now become a customer with the aforementioned business.

However, if I arrive in Blighty in September and find this on the front door I will be very sad:

imagesCAKX1MEO.jpg

Thread now closed.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I
Thanks one and all.

I've had great advice on this issue and will now become a customer with the aforementioned business.

However, if I arrive in Blighty in September and find this on the front door I will be very sad:

View attachment 3135

Thread now closed.

Dickie

We have a general election in May, which many commentators suggest is the most important in a generation for the economic future of the UK.

So by October there will be a new government in place and the economic outlook could be very different.
And the price of oil which is currently plummeting, could have risen back to USD 100 + a barrel, which could directly affect a vehicle hire company.
Business continuity is never guaranteed.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
sorry, ST, glass-half-empty posts aren't allowed.

Can I please stay at your place if my motorhome falls through? We don't eat much

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Stay in the stables, muck out the horses, and you can eat downstairs with the rest of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.