crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's completely normal to be playing , with physios on the pitch

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Unless someone says "time off", ball is live.

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I didn’t hear a whistle or instruction to put time back on, nor (for what it is worth) was the TV clock running when wales took the PK.

I have sympathy with the view that England were sleepy - but if time was off...

At 33s on this https://youtu.be/TGpm6jHuSAg

Last edited:

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I didn’t hear a whistle or instruction to put time back on, nor (for what it is worth) was the TV clock running when wales took the PK.

I have sympathy with the view that England were sleepy - but if time was off...

At 33s on this https://youtu.be/TGpm6jHuSAg

There's a definite whistle, then Wales take the quick tap.

Does that whistle indicate time is back on? Sadly, the Ch 4 cameras are following Watson, not showing the ref. There is a muted cry of "wait, wait", but it doesn't sound like Gausere as it's too quiet, like an overheard call from someone else.

Either way, England criminally asleep.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The physio can be on the field of play, without time being off. As long as play isn’t impeded by their presence.

England won last weekend and Eddie Jones was immediately talking of winning the World Cup. One week later Wales win, and Eddie is like "They’re favourites for the World Cup now. I don’t have anything else to say. You give the number one ranking favourites for the World Cup"
Doh, why?

Do you really need to ask?

In case the question was not Rhetorical: Mind games.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
It wasn’t rhetorical actually. I am at a loss with the way coaches like Eddie Jones behaves on camera. I accept that he is a decent bloke off camera.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It wasn’t rhetorical actually. I am at a loss with the way coaches like Eddie Jones behaves on camera. I accept that he is a decent bloke off camera.

its what "they do". I'm not really sure why anybody takes any notice whatsoever of this sort of bollocks.

didds

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Perhaps, because words have meaning? If he doesn’t mean anything by it, then perhaps he might be so good as to shut his cakehole.

oliver

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Perhaps, because words have meaning? If he doesn’t mean anything by it, then perhaps he might be so good as to shut his cakehole.

It was a technique perfected by Jose Mourinho and has embedded itself in sport now. Coaches chat shit in front of the media so media write headlines about the things they've said and not about any perceived deficiencies of the players.

It's media bait of the finest calibre.

dickell

Post Likes
Well we can agree on this one!:)

My Sunday newspaper contains a still photo which shows that Watson had an arm each side of Parkes in an upright tackle - both Watson's hands are shown behind Parkes's back. If that is not a legitimate tackle, what is, and how do the referee and his conniving TMO decide that it was a deliberate knock on? I felt at the time that they were being politically correct, and the photo does nothing to change my mind.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
My Sunday newspaper contains a still photo which shows that Watson had an arm each side of Parkes in an upright tackle - both Watson's hands are shown behind Parkes's back. If that is not a legitimate tackle, what is, and how do the referee and his conniving TMO decide that it was a deliberate knock on? I felt at the time that they were being politically correct, and the photo does nothing to change my mind.

IMO it is dangerous territory to go forming opinions on what was a dynamic live incident based on a still photo!

dickell

Post Likes
IMO it is dangerous territory to go forming opinions on what was a dynamic live incident based on a still photo!

I don't disagree with you, but in this case the still is, to me, pretty clear.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
TBH...I obviously haven't seen the still you refer to and to be even more honest I don't even know what 'incident 'you refer to.....
However I still believe that my comment re forming an opinion based on a still image is valid and also I would take exception to your use of the word "conniving" which to me infers cheating!

mcroker

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Any laws based on what a player intended is going to be subjective.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It looked more intentional in slow time. In real time it was not obvious.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

In that case I repeat my answer :

Do you really need to ask?

Mind games.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes

Perhaps the Sunday newspaper should refer to the WR guidance videos rather than a fleet street photographer. I know it is difficult to give some credence to WR guidance at times but I think it trumps a photographer this time! If you are referring to the credibility of the reporters interpretation, let me guess; he’s English?

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
and how do the referee and his conniving TMO decide that it was a deliberate knock on? I felt at the time that they were being politically correct, and the photo does nothing to change my mind.

What bull shit!

Pollitically correct???? WTF

And you are clearly accusing the TMO of cheating. Unacceptable on here!

May I ask which side you were "supporting" on Saturday? Rhetorical question!

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes

Perhaps this video will give a better analysis, especially if you are able to compare it with WR guidance.
https://www.ultimaterugby.com/news/...still-on-the-field-after-a-sin-binning/618402